Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What are YOU doing to save water?

Debbie Lee Guest

Default What are YOU doing to save water?

Anyone else feeling a bit like the water situation is ominous? I'm not sure how things are all over the country but I know we're struggling here in Victoria. It's certainly a hot topic!

We've been trying to do our bit to save and recycle water. We have a bucket in the shower. Once it is full, we put it out on the garden. We also bucket out the water in Gabby's bath each night (she's also not having as much water in her bath).
    We have the water from our laundry going out onto the back lawn. Neil just attached some thick hosing to the pipes outside. I also bucket out my dish water after doing the dishes and I try to only do them once a day (happy to oblige in that respect ).
    I only do clothes washing if I have a full load.
    We have a small tank out the back just for watering the garden etc. but we eventually want to look at getting a larger tank that'll be used for the toilet etc.
    Oh and we do the ole "If it's yellow let it mellow" thing with the toilet.
    I use enjo to clean my bathroom and to mop my floors but I've been using them for a good 4 years. I even clean windows in the house and in the cars using my enjo glove.

So.. what are YOU doing to help?
    Last edited by Debbie Lee; November 21st, 2006 at 06:40 PM.

We actually never water our garden... seriously. It always survives on what little rain it gets. We also rarely use a car wash, but now they are bringing in waterless car washes anyway.

In Adelaide if you do water you can only water by sprinkler system before 8am and after 8pm each night and Odd/Even house numbers have a different night to water. Mondays there is meant to be no watering at all by anyway as it is Save the Murray day.

So we do our part I guess by not watering at all. We dont mind the cricket pitch back lawn cause when rain does hit, it soon greens up.

Love

Debbie Lee,

You have put our household to shame.

We do the toilet thing too, don't water out garden/lawns. Rarely wash the cars but apart from that I have to say we are really bad, particularly reading your post.

My dh works in the turf industry and there are people who have made this portable greg recycling bin thingy. You hook the bin up to your greg water, which fills into the bin and a sprinkler is attached to the bin. When the bin is full or has enough water, you wheel it out onto your garden/lawn and you use the water that way. I have heard of a permanent grey water system that has drip feed hoses attached to it that can run through your garden. I think it is a bit expensive but sounds fantastic. The Vic government is really into it. I think they are trying to get it introduced as a permanent thing in Ballarat/Bendigo areas.

I will need to rethink our water 'saving' in our household, we don't do enough

Debbie Lee Guest

Ooo that sounds fantastic, Jooles. It'd be great to get systems like that up and running. It'd be handy if the cost was reduced somehow.

I forgot to add.... we have a lot of garden! LOL We're on half an acre. The previous owner was right into her gardening and planted a lot of things that need water to stay pretty. We're concentrating just on the immediate back yard and out the front of house (the rest will just have to survive on what little rain we are getting) but we figure if we're using recycled water to keep it green, it's worth it. Our back lawn died off a little until we got the grey water out there so the green is coming back. It makes for a nice area for Gab to play. It's just a small area we're concentrating on.
    Also, Neil started a vege patch but we just water that with a watering can.

We never watered our previous garden but we planted natives so they all seemed to cope with the dry weather.

We are trying to sort out a water butt - in England it rains all the time, so that will soon be full even if it's the "wrong sort" of rain to fill our resevoirs. We also only water the vegetable patch when it's dry, and then with the old washing up water. The grass usually stays green: this is England and water droughts are stupid. (Lots of rain and lots of ocean - we're a tiny island!)

DH tries to save water by only washing up once a week, but knows that I'll shout at him if he tries that again. It's not water-saving, it's manky!

We try to cut back on baths/showers too and take sponge-baths when it's really bad, but I hate doing those so figure if I need to wash my hair I need a shower. Again, DH claims it's water-saving but if he tries to go for more than a week again...

Washing tends to be full loads. Turn off taps while cleaning teeth. Using the minimum of water to cook vegetables. Not washing the car. Half-flush button on the loo (that uses about 1/4 of the tank; perfect for when there's not a lot of mess to flush). We use a de-humidifyer and the water from that is used on the indoor plants and car window washer things usage, as well as being boiled up in a pan to clean internal windows. Sadly you can't cook with this water, I did ask DH!

Debbie Lee Guest

Wow... I didn't think you'd ever suffer water issues in England! You learn something new every day!

CaughtGypsy Guest

I have just started 'doing my bit' it is really dry here in NSW and always on the news. We do the bucket in the shower, but I only have a balcony of plants to keep going. I also use Enjo. I am afraid that is it - I am reassessing other things we can do.

I reckon it would be really cool if the gov't had a water back into the dam type of arrangement in a similar vein tot eh power back into the grid. If everyone collected the water off our roofs (rooves?) it wouldn't matter so much that it didn't rain into the cathcment. There could be a monetary incentive for big shopping centres and the like....

Yup. It's not that we don't have the rain, it's that all the pipes under the roads leak and lose so much water... but the water companies don't fix them. Eugh, private water companies were such a bad idea... like private train companies! And they're trying to do something similar to our hospitals; we'll have the Australian system very soon - if not the American one. I personally wouldn't touch a public hospital with a 50-ft pole, and I work in one!

Plus, we get the "wrong sort" of rain. Somehow I don't understand that... rain is rain! But some sorts don't fill resevoirs apparently. It's political and stupid!

Along time ago we introduced the "survival of the fittest" theory in our garden - if it needs water, it doesn't survive!! LOL!!

We have 2 water tanks which we use for the gardens and washing the cars. They are constantly full (one is 10,000 litres) so I am interested in getting it connected up to the toilet. Will have to see what that costs though. Other than that, dishes are in the dishwasher and that runs every 2nd day (only 2 of us) and only do laundry when there is a full load. I need to get a timer for DH in the shower and a water saver shower head. I feel like that is where most of our water goes.

However, since early this morning we have had no water due to a burst water main at the end of our street. It came back on during the day while we were at work and we have been without it again from 6 tonight. This morning was spent bringing buckets of water into the house from the tank to fill the toilet and wash my hair. BTW, tank water is freezing and I do not recommend tipping it over your head!! lol instant brain freeze!
    Fingers crossed it is back in the morning....I need a shower!! lol More importantly, so does DH!

When we laid our turf down last christmas we put a greywater sub surface system under it. This is simply a drip hose system that is connected to the outlet from our laundry and gravity feeds our lawn and most of our garden (not the vegies though, grey water bad for food and all that). we only wash our cars about once a year (gross I know) and we also use enjo for all our cleaning. I only wash with a full load except hubbies work shirts as they are expensive and need special gentle cycle etc (otherwise he cracks it cos they crease up!!). I like the idea about the shower though I must look into getting a decent bucket to catch the water.

Here in Perth we are only allowed to use the sprinklers once a week.

We don't flush everytime we use the toilet if it's just a wee. If the house was ours i would have a water tank out the back. But for some strange reason here in Perth not many homes have a water tank and all new homes are built without one i think they should make a new law that anyone building a new house has a water tank put in to help save water.

In Adelaide we had one and used ours to top the pool up with and water the garden.

With DH buying me a dishwasher we are starting to save water with using that as it's not going everyday and we was washing up at least twice a day before. But then if DH had his way we would eat from paperplates and drink out of plastic cups.

Hello, I shave my legs & bits with a basin of water then only step into the shower to rinse off. I reckon I save at least three minutes of shower flow each time. Also, we use an egg timer for DD's shower and watch the bath level (cos she'd just stay in there as long as we let her). Previously emptied the washing machine onto the lawn, however here our lawn is higher than our washing machine so can't do that any more! Also I wash the dishes with only the minimal amount of hot water.

Well I dont save water in my showers. With my back and my pregnant belly, I just figure that of all the people in Victoria at the moment, I should be able to get relief from hot water so I can sleep at night!! After all - other people can take drugs, I can't.
    However, we do shower over the bath, and for the last 3w or so have been using this water over the front lawn. We have also started bathing as a family at night - so 3 of us in 200L of water is pretty good water usage I reckon.
    WE use the water off the roof for the pool topups - but this relies on it raining, which isn't happening enough. We only water when we are allowed to - which is now only the garden twice a week.
    We have a front loader and a dishwasher, so we use those and save water there. I'm trying to get Shane into the habit of turning off taps, and being smarter that way, its working as well.

Sounds like you guys are doing pretty well Deb. Well done!

Our garden doesn't get watered. We have a dishwasher and a high pressure cleaner for the car. Would like to be able to only wash full loads, but some loads can't be like DH's work clothes, they have to be washed seperately due to health reasons, and some loads just don't get big enough (whites, delicates). I reuse the grey water to clean litter trays or anything outdoors.

*TamaraP* Guest

We have a front loader washing machine and only wash once a week. Mainly my clothes and general clothes.
    We also don't wash all our sheets until we need to.

We only fill the sink up a little for dishes and wash dishes twice a day.

We aren't planting any new plants.

We only flush when need to. ALan's saying "If its yellow let it mellow, if its brown flush it down"

Showers, we are pretty good, except when I shave my legs. Really have to look into an electric shaver.

We are pretty happy with our water usage. Our last bill stated we are only using 1.5 -1 person for the whole household!! Compared to 3 people las year. So we are pretty stoked.

Girls I was just about to jump in and have my second shower for the day but you have inspired me to give it a miss!.

We also do the minimised flushing in the loo, no watering the garden and taps off so no running water.

this thread is a great idea as we all need to help as much as we can

Well, here in Brisbane there is a total sprinkler ban ... we can only bucket water, 3 days a week, before 8am and after 8pm ... consequently our garden never gets watered lol.

DH and I have been steadily removing all water-loving plants over the last couple of years and replacing them with natives - all of our grevilleas and melaleucas are flowering brilliantly and they NEVER get watered.

We also don't flush for wees, and we shower together quickly

Our next step is to get a rainwater tank, but it's not quite in our budget at the moment, even with the govt rebate they're offering.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast