Thread: Ah, I think I might have....

Red face Ah, I think I might have....

..... Haemorrhoids

I went on a diet about 6 weeks ago but after 5 weeks I had enough and canned it. The diet was a high protein, low carb diet. So I wasnt getting much fibre, so I was taking fibre tablets (when I remembered).. So I found myself a bit constipated.

I just noticed the lump a few days ago and now its a bit irritated and I definitely know that it is there. Its not painful or anything like they say it can be on the internet, so I am hoping its only minor and can be fixed quick smart!!

So, is this something I need to go to the doctors for or can I do something at home to help it go away? How long does it take to go away?

I took some suggestions from a website and bought some normal cotton underwear, am drinking heaps or water and having more fibre, what else can be done?

Gosh, this diet I went on really stuff my body up. I missed a visit from AF and now this!!! dont think I will be tryng it again..

Just curious, what diet were you following. Normally watching carb increases your fibre intake (well that is what I found).

It was called healthpointe. Something my sister got from her personal trainer in Sydney, I think it comes from America..

Basically the first 3 days of the diet is protein only. Then days 4 - 28 you add in a peice of fruit or grain for breakfast, snack is protein, lunch is protien plus 1 veg, 1 fruit and lettuce, afternoon tea is protien, dinner same as lunch. Then days 29 - 42 you increase the amount and add grain to lnch and dinner at around 36 days.

I didnt really like the diet cause I couldnt understand why you couldnt have a full on salad (I love my salad) as vegies didnt really have much carbs in the amount you would have in a salad!! So, I slipped many times and then stopped.

A well balanced diet is much better because you wont want to binge on the sweet stuff as much as you would when you are totally restricting yourself from it. My sis went on the diet 2 or 3 times and never got the full 6 wks!

Mmm, does not sound like a good one. Can easily see how constipation happened. Anyway hope you find some relief.

No doesnt sound good does it! Got to about the 2 week and I was just starting to question it as to why it was like that..

Through some research I have found that witchhazel can help and warm sitz baths. If anyone else has some suggestions, that would be great!

V, you can get creams from the chemist which should help. GL, I hope it doesn't get any worse for you.

Ngala - I can't believe you made it throuth pregancy and now the 'roids!

Pharmacy cream is good. Pear juice to soften stools is good. Good toilet posture helps.

If they do get painful, go to the docs sooner rather than later - they can lance them (they get painful when clots form!) and that hurts like the final few contractions! But before then, the cream they have to prescribe is better than the pharmacy stuff

(and sometimes they will burst, which is also bloody & painful)

Oh yeah.... I always get clients in on those high protein diets with noice clogged up plumbing. Poor thing!

What everyone else has said, increase the fibre, you can apply witchhazel topically with a cotton ball, or in a sitz bath. I recommend that EVERYONE invest in a low stool and you can have in front of the toilet, and pop your feet up on it when you go - raises the knees, and unkinks the bowel nicely! We're actually designed to squat, but our funny western toilets have us sitting in a nice, polite, upright position.... which makes things worse! Lots of water etc. I was a bit like Pavlov's dog as a kid - if mum thought I was spending a bit too much time on the loo with no luck, she would bring me a nice big glass of warm water. Worked like a charm everytime! He he he.

I think that the complications that you can get from them if they flair up are pretty bad.

Maybe you should go and see your GP just in case.

I hope that you get it all sorted out soon!

Thanks everyone!!

At the moment it has sorted itself out.. well still there but a lot smaller and not any discomfort so I am making sure I have lots of water and lots of fibre and hopefully it will continue to go away..

Not something you want to be dealing with when you're about to start a new job, but I guess that me - always get the bad end of the stick! lol