Thread: bad doctor experience

Angry bad doctor experience

I just saw a horrible doctor for my 20 month old's fever and diarrhaea - he gave us 2 minutes during which time he was mean and loud, dismissive and nasty - i cried all the way home (I am 30 weeks pregnant so a bit more sensitive but still...). I rang the clinic to find out his name and asked the receptionist if he's always that awful or if he's in a bad mood today- she said that kids make him like that. I thought it might have been me because when he said he'd give him some medication I had the audacity to ask what was wrong with my son, which clearly ****ed him off. He then stood over me shouting that now he wouldn't give him anything and he could tell from clinical experience that it was an upper respiratory tract infection. So i asked if my son should be all snotty (because he's not) and what to do about the diarrhaea. Then he said angrily he's got gastro intestinal virus and there's nothing i could give him except water. So I asked "what, no food? after how long should i worry? and for his fever should i keep giving him panadol?" I was clearly looking for reassurance but instead of reassuring me he stood there holding the door open saying i could go to the hospital if i wasn't happy with that.

Perhaps i'm a little oversensitive due to pregnancy but no one likes being treated with contempt and being yelled at. I don't know where to complain or how to warn other parents about this guy... any suggestions?

BTW this was at Greenslopes, PM me for more details
    Last edited by christy; October 26th, 2007 at 01:54 PM.

Umm sweety, you're not over reacting at all, that's disgusting!!
    If I were you I'd be reporting this doctor for negligence!
    If you're not satisfied with his diagnosis (which I wouldn't be), maybe take your son down to your local hospital to get checked again?

At least put in a complaint if he is not the head Dr of the clinic. You might be surprised at the outcome. I complained about one of the part-time Dr's at my clinic and that afternoon I was back in the clinic being treated by the main Dr. You are definitely not overreacting, all patients deserve to be treated with a certain level of courtesy.

I would definately complain. And ask them to put a note on your file NOT to book you in with him again. He sounds absolutly horrid & I would hate to be treated like that. *hugs*

slyder Guest

xtml, there's no need, nor justification for that level of bad behaviour at all. You have the expectation as a lay person that a health professional can explain things to you in a civilised fashion. I'd also recommend discussing this with the doctor in charge.

rolymogs Guest

Last edited by rolymogs; March 20th, 2008 at 01:25 PM.

OMG that is horrible i would definitly complain and NEVER go back. I would get another opinion for you son. Good luck and hope you both feel better soon.

Nikki

omg XTML - I would definately complain hun and get a second opinion. That is disgusting behaviour from someone who should be there to reassure you - 'kids make him like that"???????? sounds like you arent the first person to have this issue if she had a reply like that, and if its well known by staff what he is like. Good luck hun and hope your little guy gets better soon.