Thread: can anyone tell me which skis to buy?

Default can anyone tell me which skis to buy?

Is anyone here really knowledgeable about skiiing?
    I've decided to buy skis this year instead of faffing around with rentals. I'm buying about now so I can get a good deal on last year's stock before this year's arrives.
    I've rung around and done some haggling but now I don't know which to buy.
    If anyone will let me send them links and advise me I would be ever so grateful.
    I've narrowed it down to about 3 but they're all at differant shops so of course the SAs are just going to say that the one in their shop is best....

There's a BB member called Nickers... I know she's really into snow sports.... I hope she comes in here for you. She has a pink snow board in her avvy. I'm sure she'd know if you want to PM her.

Good luck Chloe, I don't really know my skis except that its unfortunate you aren't going overseas in the near future cause that would be my main recommendation - by them overseas!!!!!!! SSSSSooooooo much cheaper. Both hubby and I got got $1400 skis for $500 over there. Good idea for buying them at change of season though cause that's certainly makes a difference. All I can really tell you is your ability makes a difference as to how far up the price scale you need to go often - I only wanted intermediate skis so didn't have to go too high up the scale (in overseas choice anyway). As Bath said though Nic should have some good info for you (or be able to find out) cause they have previously been tied up in the industry.

Good luck with your purchase and enjoy your skiing - it so much nicer in your own boots and skis (once you've worn the boots in!!!LOL).

jaspen, did you get a unisex ski or a women's ski?
    I'm kind of torn- I can get a great deal on a unisex ski but I'm thinking that getting a not so good deal on a women's might be better.
    I woudn't be so indescisive if I didn't feel that I'm going to be using whichever ski I get for a long time. I don't want to be stuck with something that's not just right just to save a couple of hundred dollars.
    DH and I thought about getting skis when were in Europe about a month ago but we decided against it because claiming on the warrenty would be a PITA - now I feel like a doofus...

This is how much I know - I didn't realise there were "women's skis LOL. Mine were definitely unisex - basically the guy indicated that given my ability a mid level ski was all that was necessary (I know they were unisex cause he sold a pair to a guy after me - and being mid level they don't go as fast as hubbies) and to tell you the truth I don't remember too many that were women's skis (if any - other than by colour choice) on the floor at all and he certainly didn't head me to a womans section to look at any - as it was I needed a guys boot cause I have huge feet so width wise a womans probably wouldn't have worked anyway cause I imagine they would be slightly narrower. There were definitely womens boots and maybe some plank styles are better for women cause they run better with a lower weight and height distribution than others but I certianly got the impression your ability and what you wanted to do (eg tricks, speed etc) played the biggest part - but as I said I'm not real up with it Just know that the friends we were with ensured us what we were getting was worthwhile and anything was going to be better than hire (cause sharper smoother etc) . If you want to know what brands we bought just let me know and I can go look in the bag (hubby got different ones to me). To tell y ou the truth it is the boots that I have found most important cause they can take so long to get comfortable and right so make sure you have plenty of after sales service so you can go back as often as you like to get these played with so you don't suffer too much pain during that expensive week away.

ETA - I'll ask DH some questions when he gets home to see whether I can get some helpful information for you LOL
    Last edited by jaspen; April 21st, 2008 at 04:43 PM.

Hey Dachlostar, I haven't been skiing for years, but I spent most of my formative years there. My knowledge may be a bit old, but I could probably have a look for ya.

Thanks for your offer Pat
    I think I've pretty much made up my mind. One of the shops has offered me a great deal - 40% off the skis and a pair of of boots and stocks thrown in for an extra $100 so I think I'll go with that.
    The skis are a few CM's shorter than my ideal but I think can live with that.

sounds like a great deal (especially for Australia) - shorter just means they'll be faster won't it???

I used to instruct (when I was in my late teens).

The most important thing is a pair of boots & bindings that suit the boots, these were things that I replaced every few years (Dad had me skiing as soon as I could walk - once I'd stopped growing I got "real" boots, I've not skied since double reconstructions on my knees - still have my custom made boots in the cupboard).

Some boots/bindings aren't suited to some skis. Also you will need to look at the type of snow you'll primarily be skiing on as each type of snow (slushy, powder etc) can "require" a different ski (not really but for fresh powder I always have to go for quite long skis & slush I've got shorter ones on, x-country 1 set etc - I used to have 5 different sets of skis).

If you're buying boots, get them mid season - as your calves change shape, they're not as toned at the start of the season & toned at the end, so mid-season always worked for me.

Thanks schaz, I have to admit that when it comes to boots my primary concern is comfort. $1000 racing boots just aren't for me - something nicely padded with adjustable fasteners is all I ask for.

jaspen, if they're shorter they go a bit slower but it's only a matter of cm's and I'm not about to be invited to join a racing squd so it's not really important...

We've considered buying skiis but decided against it as you can get the new season and shape (they seem to outdate so quickly) each year with rentals.

I'm not such a great skier that I need the latest shape every year and TBH I always feel a bit creeped out about the boots - I'm funny about feet so every time I put my foot in a hired boot I wonder who's feet went there before me and every time I feel an itch for the next 2 weeks I freak about about contagious fungus. I'm one of those weirdos who always wears flip-flops in hotel showers so that my feet don't touch where other people's feet have.
    Even if I didn't want skis I can't go another year in other people's boots.....

oh wise ones...... the guy I spoke to this morning was telling me that there is no differance betwen a kid's ski for a big kid and a women's ski for a small woman. Did he speak the truth or was he just saying what he needed to to make a sale?

Yep definitely get your own boots, I totally get the creeped out by other peoples fungus thing!

Depends if the big kid is male or female. The flex issue would be about right as a big kid would weigh about the same as a small female (unless the big kid is Sam from the biggest loser) but a male tends to be stronger in the upper body and uses this to help turn while a females centre of gravity is a bit lower and can sit a bit further back on the ski. That's why a female ski has the binding marks a bit further forward than a male ski.

Basically, if you're not a pro then these issues can be a bit of a moot point. A few cms shorter is good, because it might be a bit slower, but it'll be a bit easier to turn.

Enjoy the season. I'm hoping to get up to the snow for the first time in years.

Thanks everyone for your advice.
    Schaz, I ended up paying a bit more on boots than I intended to because I think you're toatlly correct that the most important thing is the boot. I'll probably still have the boots long after the skis are junked. I tried on a few without looking at the price and just picked the most comfy which also ended up being the most expensive lol. It's got some special gel in it that they heat and then you put it on for 15minutes and it moulds to your foot so all the time breaking it in is cut out. I got it for 40% off so it was still a great price for the quality of boot.
    The guy who sold it to me has all his new stock coming in so he was pretty happy to clear a bit of the old stuff out.

ETA - Pat, I bought a unisex ski but it hasn't got the bindings on it yet. Can I get him to put it further forward or do they have to go at an exact spot on the ski?

I got adult's skis - I just can't bring myself to get a kid's skis even if they are cheaper. I only stopped buying my PJs in the kids section 5 years ago when I stopped working night shifts and put 5kg on.

If the holes are pre drilled then no, but if it's a plain ski, then you could, but I think it's only a matter of a cm or two. I'm no expert though, so I'd go with what the fitter says.

Your boots sound great. When you go to have them fitted don't turn up in a thin pair of cotton socks! Warm woolen ones are a lot thicker!!

No, there's no holes so I'll ask him to put them a little forward.
    Thanks for the socks tip

yah for the boots - with your own boots you really don't care about hire skis - well at least I don't mind that I've poved out and have hire skis

bushmanpat is right - wear the type of socks that you're planning on wearing with the boots on the slope when you get them fitted. I used to walk around the house in my boots all the time to "fit" them properly - my calves are now too big and I can't wear them any more ($1,000 worth of custom made boot when I was 19)