Thread: Curves/Contours VS Gym....

Question Curves/Contours VS Gym....

I'm getting this post baby body into shape! I have worked out with mum some days to get out and do some serious exercise finally - walking just doesnt cut it and am wondering about Curves/Contours gyms. The 30 minute workout appeals to me so just wanted to see what others experiences were with them or would you just recommend a gym? I prefer classes so would do pump or something and am also going to swim.

TIA

I looked at a Curves gym after DS was born but didn't really like the format. I love the Les Mills classes like Pump, Combat and Body Attack. I love the loud music, the full-on instructors and the whole vibe you get from them. The Curves gym was very sedate and quiet, the participants much older and the classes were not like the regular gym at all. I think I wouldn't get the same motivation out of the Curves type of environment. Everyone like something different though, I just like the intensity and motivation of Les Mills class formats.

I couldnt more highly recommend Curves!!! I was going there whilst preg with Chelsea....granted i never lost anything but gained....it really helped.

Mum went and in the 12 months she was a member lost 120cm and 65kg. She doen well and loved it!

what kind of prices do they charge and what is their format - is it just exercise based or both exercise and food???

sorry to take over your thread Tan just thought this might be the place to ask these questions

Hi girls,

I am a member of Contours and I can honestly say i was one of those ones thinking mmm yeah right 30 mins three dyas a week i can not see me loosing weight. But i joined to see.

The cost was $100 join fee for 12 mths it has now gone to $50 a month and a fee of about $50 a month. All of $12.50 a week.

You get a contours recipe booklet and a 30 day weightloss programme. As well as a sculpt bar and a sample of the sculpt shake you can use to help loose weight.

I have been going to contours now for 8 weeks and i have lost 8 kgs in 8 weeks and a whopping 17cm in 4 weeks i have another weigh and measure soon AHhhhh! I have lost more cms please please! Lol

You can not cheat as you get weighed in and monitored every month and if the weight does not come off you are eating wrongly! I stick to 1500cals a day and the weight is falling off me i only go do 30min workouts every morning at 6am 3 - 4 times a week and i do have a infra red sauna afterwards for 20mins.

I love it and i must say up in Far Nrth QLD it is definately not melow! We do boxing, step, weights heaps of cardio and it is loud and the personal trainers get you amped for the days session, they make you box hard and also push you to the max. We have a mixture of ages from young to old mostly about 20 - 35yrs old though.

The best thing is as well is i can also go to a contours when i am on holidays as you can get travel passes to go to another one throughout Australia - Well i have so i am assure it is for everyone!

I highly recommend curves/contours but every person has different preferences in workouts and loosing weight so it is really up to the individual. To be honest with you if you do join you have to be persistant and go min 3 times a week to loose cms/weight otherwise it is a waste of time for you.

HTH

Jen

Oooh wow - thanks for the info girls. I checked the website and they do have a trial so I might give it a go. At this stage I might only be able to wing 2 days a week baby free though so not sure what I will do. Although I guess they might be open late at night so I could go when she is asleep. I really want to swim too - so it might end up being cheaper for me to get a swim/gym membership.
    I love the Les Mills too Kris - especially Pump and Combat. Step is a challenge - Im generally pretty co-ordinated but I feel like I have 4 left feet when I do it!

I couldn't imagine any better way to loose weight than Les Mills classes (although I shouldn't say that as i'm becoming a Personal Trainer lol). I find they motivate you like nothing else and there are some incerdibly motivating instructors out there.

Have you joined anywhere yet?

Yeah I agree, the classes are great soI think the gym is the way to go, especially as I want to swim too. I will probably go to Nunawading Aqualink- I have been a member there before and its close to home and has a great pool, gym and class facilities! Will be looking into it this week and twisting DH's arm - if only Iz would take a bottle so I could work one day a week and hlep pay it myself!!

I love the gym and also love les mills classes but i must say i never really lose weight, i was going 6 times a week and sometimes for 2 or 3 hours. I did tone up and put on alot of muscle though. Was seeing a trainer who was monitoring what i was eating too.

I will be sticking with the gym as i know all the people there and feel comfortable.

all girls, you were probably losing fat and building muscle and thats why you didn't lose weight. Scales are horrible things! I've always found the best way to tell if i'm losing weight is to measure myself and see how my clothes fit. I no longer lose weight and I do 5 days a week, 2 hours a day at the gym. At some point you plateu (sp?). Infact, when I have a week off due to the kids being ill or something I usually lose a couple of kilos but thats all muscle.

Rachel......how long before you will become a personal trainer ???

Urgh I am really really ****ed off with them The only reason I went with this certain company is because they said they were opening a Creche in Jan - now they said it's been put off till August next year So unless I can find a cheap alternative to child care then I won't be certified till around this time next year. Grrrrrr

Bugger.....let me know when your looking for clients!!!!

I will! I've got lots of advice though, although all I really would be giving is my opinion and things that I had researched myself.

Do you belong to a gym?

just recently joined a contours that is owned by two brothers.

The trainers are all female but the boys come in on occasion to run Fitness info sessions, give nutrition advise, program design and modification and just general support.

At first I was a bit sceptical but they have been a real asset and made my exercise journey a lot more efficient.

I was wondering what other opinons on this would be?

I started out being really unfit but now I am happier healthier and ready to conquer the world.

I have to say Curves,

Hydralics are better for body, no soreness EVER and you see results you can work the equipment as hard and as fast as you want.
    its 30 min not 30 min plus warm up etc
    first 30 min work out in the USA
    over 10,000 clubs worldwide.. Contours doesnt have that
    BAcked by a university to always improve and do more studies on it.
    Always a female there to help you
    Contours is a copycat version of Curves and its 29min... (honeslty)

What would you think of a club run by 2 guys?
    I dont mind the 29 minute workout, quick and easy

Wow, was just reading this thinking that I couldn't remember writing it and I saw the date!! Wowzers what a blast from the past - nearly three years ago lol!!!