Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Effects of drinking a Can of Cola (Coke, Pepsi etc)

Quote Originally Posted by slyder View Post
    I don't really feel any guilt though, as I don't drink much alcohol, don't smoke, don't drink coffee or have any other common vices. I take on board what that article says, but the effects of numerous other highly processed foods and beverages would be similar.
    yep, I'm reducing the processed food that comes into my house, too! I definitely notice the difference in DS when I limit additives and food that looks far removed from its original source food.
    Back on topic, though - Coke is a marketing success and a terrible use of water!

Posted by Mayaness - Coke is a marketing success and a terrible use of water!

I agree, I am not proud to say I was drinking 2 or 3 cans a day up until recently, I have been putting on weight and decided that the coke probably wasn't helping. I used to drink Diet Coke but I have heard that it can lead to brain problems as well as the others mentioned so I changed to full strength, but it is so sweet. I found that I was thinking about having my first drink by about 10am and a craving would hang around until I scummed to it.
    I found my kids were asking for a sip and I would say no it's bad for you yet I was making excuses for myself to drink it, I felt like such a hypocrite.
    So now I just have it as a "treat" every now and then.

Oh no im so addicted to coke... (Used to go through 4ish ltrs a day here till I fell PG) now I might have a glass once every 2-3 weeks.

Matryoshka Guest

I can see why people get addicted to it. My mum started drinking it when she quit smoking, which was about 15 years ago now. She goes through cans a day and you can tell when she hasn't had one in a while by her mood and the relief when she does drink one. Sugar and caffiene are just like another other drugs really.

I've never been a soft drink drinker really, but in recent years i made the choice not to drink it, coke in particular purely for the fact that it is an absolute waste of time - it has no nutritional value and makes me more thirsty! My DS has never tasted it and i hope to avoid that for a long time, obviously i want him to experience it so that deprivation doesn't lead to desire but hopefully he'll be set up with good eating and drinking habits and make healthier choices by then - how much better is a fresh blueberry oat milk smoothy or something like that!

I don't usually drink Coke, but when I was in labour with my DS, I just HAD to have it. Maybe I was needing sugar? Anyway, it stayed down for about 5 minutes...

A family friend is addicted to coke. She won't drink anything else. Only coke. She's had two lots of stones removed from her kidneys (emergency surgery), she's got Osteoporosis (she fell down a very small ramp going into a shopping centre and broke both her ankles SNAP!) and just last week, one of her front teeth fell out! Her doctors have told her it's all due to coke, yet she still keeps drinking it. Crazy!

Celsie. xoxox

I'm another that hardly ever drinks the stuff. But in saying that, I do enjoy it. Nina accidentially drank a mouthful of coke out of my straw one night, and hated it. She's never wanted some of my drink since. Which is probably a good thing.
    Another thing, I'm a migraine sufferer, and apparently one of the best things you can take when you have a migraine is to drink some coke.

i used to drink the stuff dont thank god

Thanks for posting that Bath! Won't stop me drinking it (:P), but I tend to only have a glass with dinner on occasion anyway. (And I love lemon, lime & bitters too!)

Does anyone know the difference between coke from the can and Fast Food coke? I know that Fast Food coke is made on location by mixing the syrup & soda water...are the effects the same?
    I much prefer coke from fast food places, it's not as fizzy, just seems nicer to me.

Jodi, that's interesting, because apparently one of the common triggers for migraines is caffeine..........

Apart from anything else, the effects of Coke on teeth are terrible! Ask any dental worker and they'll tell you. We can spot the coke drinkers a mile off after inspecting their mouths, they don't even need to tell us. It costs alot more than just the drink itself people!

holy cow....

the kidney stones and teeth falling out sound like where i am headed to!!! i only drink coke as well... THATS IT.... i used to drink alot of water during the day, as well as coke, but since starting work a few months back and being so busy, i've stopped drinking the water, so am feeling completely parched and dehydrated all day every day.

i drink coke for breakfast its true, when i manage to have some toast and vegemite, a glass of coke goes along with it (like today).... i have a can at lunch, and drink probably 3-4 glasses at dinner.... i can't help it and i can't stop!! i haven't gone without it for a day in probably hmmmmmm 10 years?? actually i tell a lie, recently i attempted to give it up and went without it for a few days in a row. major withdrawals... HUGE.

i've decided i'm not going to have it in the house anymore, and will only buy it if i am out or if we get takeaway, as a treat. i guess its a start. i'm trying to loose weight before january (beach holiday) and i know i will get nowhere while i am drinking so much coke.

ohhhhh but i love it sooooo much

I've managed to convince DS (for now) that Coke is 'dirty water'...I've got no idea how long I've got using that one, but so far, it's working!

Thanks for the info Bathsheba! I've copied the info and forwarded it onto my friends (some of who drink coke regularly).
    Unfortunately I do like coke... I wish I didn't. I hardly ever allow myself to have any though, especially since I've been pregnant, as I've been limiting my caffeine intake.

There's another thread about a member concerned about coke consumption during pregnancy... it seems to be a common craving... possibly dry ginger ale could be a slightly better alternative if you really need that buzz to cut through the queaze.

I'm addicted to coke.
    DH is also & he's the one that started me on it (I used to drink lift)
    Both our girls know it is not allowed for them. Ever!
    If we are out for dinner or something they have lemonade. They have had coke. Maybe twice a year they'll get a little bit.
    DH is also a heavy smoker & likes to drink.
    I'm a social smoker (haven't had one in weeks) & a social drinker (haven't had one in months!). I don't drink tea or coffee & even though I hate buying it, I still do. I always look for something else, but I always buy coke in the end.

Matryoshka Guest

Dh has recently switched from normal coke to coke zero... i'm worried about the whole aspartame thing, which i guess is another issue. I tend to think normal coke is probably better than the artificial sweetner.

I tend to think normal coke is probably better than the artificial sweetner.
    Me, too, MummaB! At least I know what's in it (sort of) - the pretend sugar adds another dimension to the mix, ewww...
    Now I'm trying to get my dad off it - difficult for a man who's other vice is smoking and who has depression (and thinks it's mean to begrudge him a bit of Coke, so I push the line that his grandson will want some if he's drinking it and DS is NOT to get any)!

OMG! No wonder i have hardly any calcium left in my body (just got told that the other day)~
    Thanks for that Bath - I am seriously wiping that out of my everyday diet (I'm a coke addict, its my one weakness) - I new it was bad, but not that bad!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast