Thread: Exercise and disability/injury

Default Exercise and disability/injury

. . . I have a hip problem, I don't know if you'd call it a disability per se, probably not because it isn't very severe (just uncomfortable), but basically what it is is that my leg doesn't sit properly in my hip, which makes my foot turn outward instead of forward/slightly to the side. When I walk normally, my ankle feels tight but it isn't really a problem, apart from the fact that I occasionally trip over because of this problem! But when I try to exercise, it's a huge problem because it hurts really badly. My ankle hurts and my calf aches as if i've been running for hours. This means that when I walk (my preffered form of exercise) I can never get to the point where I'm puffing and my heart rate is increased, it just hurts too much. There's nothing that can be done aside from shattering my hip and resetting the bone, which they won't do.

My point is, does anyone else have problems like this, physical problems which inhibit exercise? How do you deal with them? What exercise can I do that won't hurt my mingy leg so much? I thought of swimming but it's not very accessible, since I don't have a license and would need to find a babysitter for bubs. I really want something I aerobic I can do everyday.

Help!

Hi Socks,

You sound frustrated! I don't have something like that, but can empathize with you. Everyone always suggests swimming, but it isn't the easiest thing to access. Have you tried bike riding? Like an exercise bike or your own bike on a training stand? Also, do you have a leg length difference? That can contribute to finding many activities difficult (your dr would be able to tell you based on your x rays if you have ones that show the whole femur).

What about something you could do at home, like a yoga video or pilates floor mat video? They can be pretty hard, but not always aerobic. If you do some free weight circuit training, that keeps your heart rate up and can give you the aerobic boost if you do it the right way.

Have you seen a physio about this? A good physio might be able to give you some more suggestions, or design an exercise program you cuold do easily at home.

Thanks for the suggestions, feathertop. I do yoga sometimes (my yoga DVD goes on for longer than DDs naps so its a bit difficult lol), I think pilates would be even better.

I haven't had xrays for ages, to be honest it seems that no one can be bothered investigating it, since it isn't really a fixable problem - the only way to fix it would be to shatter and re-set my hip. My GP suggested buying inserts to put into my shoes, since I have fallen arches as well and the extra support should help take some of the pressure off. I haven't done that *yet* butI hope it'll help. If not I'll have to go back to my GP and harrass him some more. I told my antenatal physiotherapist but there wasn't anything she could do, it wasn't her area of specialty of course.

Biking is a really good idea. To be honest I've never learned how to ride a bike properly! Once I get over the fear thing it'll probably work really well Heck, I could ride my bike to the local swimming pools!

paradise lost Guest

Both my hips are dodgy (shallow sockets) and my pelvis is tilted on my spine. I do a lot of hip stretches, lunges and squats to keep the msucles there strong and you can also get orthotic lifts for one or both shoes to help you correct it. Ask the doc for a physio referral as they'll be able to get you the orthotics and then help you through the transition while you start to use them. If you watch the special olympics there are athletes with severe deformities and palsy's who compete, and the only difference is the time and attention the medical community put into helping them. If you shout loud enough you should get some help. Best of luck.

Thanks for the advice. I finally took up GPs advice and bought the inserts to help with my fallen arches, I haven't used them yet but hopefully they'll help. Hoobley, you're right - I really should be able to get more help than 'deal with it.' Every problem I have, that's the response I get, no matter what Dr I see, not just about this but about my back problems as well. It isn't right!

paradise lost Guest

Hun for years and years i was about 20kg overweight and every problem i had was due to my being fat and was told to lose weight or deal with it. When i said i found it really hard to lose weight i was told to exercise more and when i asked to be tested for a thyroid problem all the women in my family have i was told "Fat isn't glandular, you just need to exercise more and eat less". Once i'd had DD i was lighter (because my autoimmune thyroiditis, which i did have, and WAS contributing to not my weight gain (that was too much food and sofa-time) but my inability to lose it, recovered during pregnancy) and had a big goiter (lump in my neck, caused by the condition suddenly flaring up again) they were suddenly all willing to listen to me, test me for things and help me.

It's a terrible fact but unless you get a really good GP they are unable to see past extra weight, even when it is caused by other issues. It's like "hormones" which i have had everything from sore hips to headaches blamed on. I was told my extra weight was causing back pain, hip pain, ankle injury pain years after i tore the ligaments in my ankle (it hurts even now in cold weather and i did it in 1999!), dizzyness, hot flashes, you name it. Now, if i am honest my extra weight WAS contributing to many of them, but the fact that they wouldn't test me to figure out WHY i was carrying the extra weight is so telling. They simply WOULD NOT believe that i didn't eat masses and do nothing.

Now i'm no longer overweight (though i'm certainly not skinny!) i find GP's actually LISTEN when i go. But then to be honest, i find i go less now i am generally healthier too.

I think if you can identify this when it happens and are strong enough to say to the doctor, "I know i'm carrying extra weight, but this is NOT helping me to lose it" that gets their attention a little more.

Walking will really help your back strength so good on you for doing it! Keep on keeping on hun, and remember that you're worth it, and every bit of help you seek you DESERVE.

Bx

Have you tried Bikram Yoga? (That's the yoga in a hot room.) Its definitely aerobic. Its also suitable for all fitness levels, as if you're not too fit/flexible, you just do as much as you can and no more. I know its not for everyone, but it really helped me both physically and mentally. Only problem is that classes are 90 mins and most studios that I've been to don't have childcare, so you'd have to find a babysitter. Still, if you can find someone to watch your bub for a couple of hours it might be a good thing to try.

Hey Socks, good on you for taking that first step. And riding to the pool, great idea!

If you want to see a private physio, you don't need a Dr to refer you, you can just call up and make an appointment. Also, if you need some good inserts to address your arches and to manage your leg length difference (as it is likely you have one) then I would recommend seeing a podiatrist - again, you can just make an appointment, no referral necessary.

Good luck!!

thanks for your responses, girls. I used the inserts and they helped a fair bit, the pain in my calf has lessened but it isn't completely gone. My ankle is certainly a lot better, I still get the pains on top of my foot though.

I don't really know what to do from here. I've never heard of Bikram Yoga, is it popular? I don't have my own transport atm so anything that requires me to go somewhere is problematic

hoobley - i'm lucky, my GP doesn't have any antics about my weight, i don't think he sees it as a problem. I'm going to ask for a referral to a physio and perhaps a podiatrist as well. I used to see a podatrist for this problem when I was a kid (they did xrays of my foot and not my hip, even though they knew my hip was the real problem?), but it didn't exactly help.

Hi Babysocks

The others have given really good advice - especially about trying to see another physio.

In terms of what you can do right now, I'd definitely look into hiring an exercise bike and/or rowing machine. That way you don't have to worry about finding a babysitter and can do them whenever you want.

I know you have a lot going on in your life right now and exercise is really good for getting some good, happy hormones happening as well as giving you 'you' time which is always hard with a little one.