Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have You Done A First Aid Course?

Default Have You Done A First Aid Course?

I've been meaning to do one for years... and finally booked into one today.

I'm going through The Red Cross. Apparently St.John's Ambulance will not be running them any more as of May... this is what I was told today on the phone when I rang them.

So, if you have done a course who have you done it with and how did you find it (what was your experience)?

Also, some private health funds cover the cost of doing them. NIB will 100% cover the cost of my course ($175) so yay!

Firstly, well done! It is an invaluable skill to have.

Secondly, thanks for the health fund info, that is really interesting and I wish I had know earlier!

Thirdly, I have done a number of first aid courses over the years, some good, some bad... it all depends on the instructor I find.

The good news is that in recent years the CPR component of first aid courses has been rejigged a bit to be much easier to remember and perform. No more complicated rules of breaths and compressions, different for adults, children and babies.

Hope you enjoy it and come out the other end feeling empowered (and that you never have to use it ).

I have held a first aid certificate since I left high school!!!
    I had to have one for work ( child care), and then for FDC... so have renewed it every 3 years....
    But since Zavier is now 3, It has probably run out now...

It was always done through St Johns Ambulance at our local Adult Ed centre, and it was tax deductable, due to work...

I did one through Ambulance Victoria but it was years ago and I should do a refresher to be on the safe side.

I have done several now, but I can't remember who they were through as it wasn't directly via St John's etc. I really need to do a refresher though...

I have not, but thank you for reminding me that this is something I really need to do!
    Off to look into courses now

I have always had one, and they are SO worthwhile. Unfortunately I have had to use it multiple times - kids!
    You need to update every three years, and should do a CPR refresher every 12 months to stay current. I find that the more times I do it, the more confident I become, which then makes me calmer in the situation, always a plus.
    So, in 10 years, I've gone through a variety of providers. I can't go past St Johns for being the best. Red Cross were also good. The others all mediocre, but they're cheap. Good for refreshers.

Matryoshka Guest

I've done the "caring for babies" course which is a full day. Learnt how to resucitate a baby and lots of other injury stuff.

I didn't get any kind of rebate, was about $150 through st John ambulance i think, but the skills i learnt are invaluable. You can't put a price on potentially saving your child's life.

Im with you mummaB, you cant put a price on your kids (or anyones elses) life. I have done a paediatric first aid course run by ambulance victoria. This was a fantastic course although saw a yucky video on croup that hasnt sat well with me 2 years on. I have also done level 2, twice. The first time the instructor was shocking - she didnt even look at us when we were doing our CPR test. The second one was ok, but only because I already had an understanding on what to do. They were both done through Swinburne TAFE.

I've had to have one for work for nearly twenty years and, like others have said, the instructor can make a big difference.
    Many instructors have lots of battle stories - interesting to listen to, but can often add heaps of time onto your day, especially if there are others that just have to add their experiences as well.
    That used to really give me the irrits, but I guess I could've just been jaded from having to do it so often, lol.
    It really is worthwhile - good on you, and hope you never have to use it!

Crystal: I've had to call 000 twice in the past 3 weeks... first for my 5yo who was running in the hosue and put his arm through a window sustaining a bad laceration requiring 12 stitches... then 2 days ago i had 9 kids under my care (school hols and everyone is dropping round because their parents are working) and a 14yo boy fell out of a tree and severely broke his arm. So... I'm reading the writing on the wall... it's time I did a FA course it seems!!! Ubba: Also... this course is meant to go from 6.30pm - 10.30pm for four consecutive Monday evenings... I really hope it doesn't go too far past that time 'cos i'm really not a night owl... thanks for the warning about people wasting time!

Quote Originally Posted by MummaB View Post
    I've done the "caring for babies" course which is a full day. Learnt how to resucitate a baby and lots of other injury stuff.

I didn't get any kind of rebate, was about $150 through st John ambulance i think, but the skills i learnt are invaluable. You can't put a price on potentially saving your child's life.
    I did that one too. Our whole mums group did a group booking and invited friends. Some DH came too. It was cheaper that way and we all felt comfortable getting up in front to try the techniques. I found it really valuable as I had never done a formal course before. We all thought of it as insurance: If you have it you wont need it. if you dont, you will.

I've been current with my first aid since I did my Senior in Girl Guides!
    I've been doing it with the SES and they have a contract with a private company, who are ex-paramedics. I find that ambos / paramedics are the best teachers, they really put it into real terms.

I also "volunteered" as first-aid officer at work so get it covered & paid for by work

Well done Bath - now's a good time to do it.

My work paid for me to do a level 2 first aid course last year, but I want to to the childcare one that the ambulance service in Vic run as its more focussed on kid type injuries.

i havent done one.. but as i will be starting nursing next yr i kinda think i wont need it... iykwim..

I actually train first Aid with st John ambulance in the ACT. I train the caring for kids course to. I think it is a great thing to learn etc. I also volunteer for St John in the operations branch, where we do first aid at major events, eg traithalons, australian mountian bike championships, nrl and rugby games etc, It is good to put it into practice to.

Bath, I've done courses with both Red Cross and St John... and used to teach for St John. The main difference I noticed between the two were that Red Cross focuses a lot on improvisation of things (such as what you could use for a bandage etc) where as St John really is more focused on those who have first aid kits on hand. St John is more "controlled" where as Red Cross deal with more "adhoc" situations. Having said that, St John is, in my experience, more "real". I'll never forget my laughing so hard I had to leave the room when my Red Cross instructor tried to tell us that the casualty will "always be calm" Maybe if they're unconscious!

Doudou - your SFA will definately come in handy as a nurse. At no point in your nursing degree, will you be taught how to apply a bandage or sling. Chances are, your SFA will be the first time you are exposed to CPR and EAR. And when you go on your clinicals, the venues you attend want to know, uncategorically, that if a patient has an emergency, you will be able to deal with it. You will be able to do DRABCD, commence CPR if needed and so on. Many of these skills aren't actually taught by the Uni before you go out. Seriously. And, on a side note, there are skills that you learn in a SFA course that you won't learn or do regualrly as a nurse... believe me! It all depends on the area of nursing you work in. So, as much of a PITA as it is, go into it with an open mind. And don't forget that your Uni will probably want you to do a CPR refresher each year just as nurses do... we have to pass a competency every 12 months to prove we know the principles of, and can administer, basic life support.

MG

i've done several over the years it is a vaulable asset to have i'm heading into my first round of practicals for My Nursing degree and everyone has to redo the course through the uni i'm looking forward to

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast