Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HPV Cervical Cancer Vaccine

Default HPV Cervical Cancer Vaccine

Ok, so I heard on the radio tonight about this vaccine being free for females 12-26. I;m (just) in that age bracket and starting to think about getting it. The program doesn't commence until July 2007. I haven't read anything on the vaccine yet so wondering if anyone has any info or thoughts on it? i.e. reliability, success etc. I will do an internet search tomorrow but wondering what the BBers know and think!

MG

You can get it through your GP or I think you can also organise it through your local councils immunisation program.... if you look up australia DOT gov DOT au there is a link to some info on it...

If I hadn't already been exposed I would definitely be looking into getting the vaccine.

I'm not a great believer in immunisation, but having cervical dysplasia, as a result of HPV, is a massive PITA! I've had problems with it for 7 seven years now, it's only come under control about a year ago it stays that way.

Don't know much about the vaccine itself, so not saying everyone SHOULD have it, but it's definitely worth looking into.

I was actually part of the market research for the vaccine. Basically, if you have had intercourse with atleast one person who has had intercourse with atleast one other, you have a VERY high chance of being exposed to the virus already.

You may not know it, and may never get any symptoms, but its still in your system. Once you have it, I dont think you can get rid of it?

The vaccine doesnt protect against all cervical cancer, just the ones that start off from HPV.

A year or so ago, they were saying it would be 3 injections at about $100? Does anyone know if thats still the go?

where cosmopolitans and margaritas flow all night

I asked my doc about this on Monday and they haven't got it in the clinic yet. We were kind of talking about other things so didn't really go into it much, but he said that if it's free for my age group then when it's available, get it. So I'll find out when it's going to be available and then book in for my jab.
    Last edited by Shannon; March 23rd, 2007 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Removing Link

subbing because I am curious about this as well

I havent heard anything since they were researching it about a year ago. But yeah, Im pretty sure what Tanya said.

And I meant if you have had unprotected sex with others not just protected.

I would like to do a bit more research about it .. not for myself (DH and I were each other's only partners) .. but in case I ever need to think about it for my daughters, if I have any. I would like to know more about whether they have studied it long term (e.g. 20+ years) to see whether it will have any future effect on fertility if given to young girls. Does anyone have any info?

Just want to clarify that even if you hae only ever had one sexual partner and always use protection, you are still at risk.

Danni -I think it depends on the strain you have. I have had HPV for quite a few years and I am one of the unusual ones who still carries the strain in my blood but have no symptoms after treatment.
    I thought most women have immune systems that can remove the virus without ever knowing they had it, and then there is the unfortunate group who get cervical changes leading to cancer.
    I have to have testing every 12mths as part of study group at RWH Melbourne. Speaking of which, my appt happens to be next week. Does anyone want me to ask the nurses a question about the vaccine??

Sonya - would be great to get some more info on the vaccine, so if you could ask, it would be awesome

i'm going to miss out on the free vaccine by a matter of about 6 weeks - bummer!

What upsets me is that i have had HPV (cured itself after having lazer treatment) and i have had CIN3 and i think that i should be able to get the vaccine aswell.. its not just girls in that age bracket that need it, i am alittle annoyed about it.

Its not just transmitted sexuily it can be passed on via your mother when she gave birth to you......

Well according to My Gyno it would you can get chicken pox a second time and i could get HPV again.

They cant tell you which strain of HPV you have had there are like over 100 differnt types of HPV - there is no real comparison to the chickon pox comment

I copied this from a Website -

If Iíve already tested positive for HPV, will the vaccine help?

It depends on what type of HPV you have been exposed to. The vaccine wonít cure an HPV infection that you already have such as genital warts, pre-cancers (changes that usually happen before a cancer starts to grow), or cervical cancer. It could, however, protect you from the types of HPV that you have not come in contact with. Many people who have HPV are not infected with all four types of HPV that the vaccine targets. Since there is no test available to tell for sure if a women has had just one or all four types of the HPV virus, it is recommended to get the vaccine.

Tanya, I think your understanding of it is right.

Meg, I wasn't aware that it could be passed on to your children? I've had HPV leading to CIN1 (you poor thing having CIN3!) which was an absolute bastard to get rid of. I am clear ATM, I'm assuming that means I won't pass it to my child?

Having read your posts, I'm a bit annoyed too that we can't get it for free (though I miss out on the age bracket by a couple of months anyway!). It does seem a little unfair.

Does it inclue people who are 26 now?? Or 26 the cut off point??

I think I'd want to know more before I did anything, I don't know much about it

Dee - there are heaps of info on the Net about it

Sezjm - My Gyno said i could have got it from my mother when she gave birth to me - This was my first smear test i had never worried about it before (silly i know) and when we decided to havekids i went to have one and WALA what do you know i had this ... I was lucky tho mine (CIN3) was cured in one treatment adn my HPV went away on its own... If you dont have it now then NO you wont pass it on ..... Lucikly

Tanya is right in saying that it wont vacinate youagainst the starin you had - BUT you dont know which strain you did have so you still need to be vaccinated as i said before there are over 100 different types of HPV and there are 4 that cause cancer and because they cant tell you what strain you had how would you know if you had the cancerous type ??????? therefore it is recommended that you DO get the vaccine.

Meg, I had had two clear pap smears before I had one come up with cell changes when I was nineteen. So I'm presuming I got it inbetween smears. You are very lucky you decided to have a baby hun! Thank goodness it all went after one treatment, I'm really pleased for you

Sez, do you mind me asking...have you had a check up since being pregnant? It seems mine has flared again

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast