Thread: Nail Biting Habit

Talking Nail Biting Habit

Well i have been reserved in declaring this as i so wasn't sure... but i know i have done it AND I AM HAPPY!!!!

I HAVE BROKEN THE HABIT OF NAIL BITING!!!

I was a nail biter from when i was a toddler, why i don't know but i was. This continued into early adulthood, where i was always in so much pain from how far down i would bite them. Often they would bleed. I started getting acrylics on, and never turned back. For once i had beautiful nails.. although yes; they weren't mine!

So i have been wearing acrylic nails since i was approx 18/19ish... so for over 8 years. Mind you, during DD's pregnancy i had them off as someone told me it could harm her lol, and i have had a break here and there to try and grow them myself, but never ever was successful, always ended up biting them down the quick within 3 weeks. Should point out, i would never bite the acrylic's, my hands never went to my mouth with acrylics so, they worked well on the habit side of thing's.

Until 5 week's ago! Due to money i had to give up my nail's. So, being i had no choice really i went to the chemist and got the best nail strengthener i could buy, as between nail biting and acrylic nails, my nails were like paper

My nails are growing beautifully, i haven't bitten them, haven't found myself doing what i used to do. Once or twice when there was a jagged edge i have put them in my mouth to clear it, but it doesn't feel right anymore so it is great. I have actually kicked the habit.

I know they may not seem like much to people who aren't nail biter's, but it is just amazing. I had tried so many different thing's when i was younger, eventually giving up when i started getting acrylics.

I have to file, and take care of these on a daily basis while i nurture them to a strength and length that will mean they are here for good.... BUT, i am just stoked!!!

ATM i am using the nail hardener and just filing, constantly cutting and so on which makes them stronger.... but is there anything else i can do? is there a vitamin that is good for nail growth???

and is there anyone else who has kicked this habit?????

ok.. one more time..

I AM NO LONGER A NAIL BITER

Pathetic? Yes... lol but i'm allowed to be, aren't i? lol

YAY! good for you! I'm still a nail biter

yay Pappy!

pg has been awesome for me - i still am not cured, but i haven't been biting them at all so i'm getting there. i think i just need to get OUT of the habit of cleaning under my nails with my teeth (yes, it's gross!) and i'll stop noticing the yukky edges... prolly need to learn to shape them myself too...

Quote Originally Posted by briggsy's girl View Post
    yay Pappy!

pg has been awesome for me - i still am not cured, but i haven't been biting them at all so i'm getting there. i think i just need to get OUT of the habit of cleaning under my nails with my teeth (yes, it's gross!) and i'll stop noticing the yukky edges... prolly need to learn to shape them myself too...
    OMG BG, yes... that is the ONLY remaining part of the habit i still do, which i am doing less.. and yeah its gross but funny what we will do.... Im just stoked im not the only one who does THAT! lol

Liz, THERE IS HOPE!!!!

Yeah for you! I used to be a nail biter and I remember how hard it was to stop. Like you I did after a few years of acrylics. Now five or six years on I have incredibly strong long nails which people comment on.

But, one of the things I think makes all the difference is having Berocca daily (I don't know what vitamin it has in it, but there is something that works miracles for your nails). I didn't realise it until I stopped having it when I switched to a conceive well multi vitamin. Within a couple of weeks of dropping the berocca my nails had softened heaps and were peeling etc. Mind you when I went on to the pregnancy multi vitamin they got stronger again, so I guess that wonder vitamin is in them as well...

Congratulations on this wonderful achievement... I am not a nail biter but come from a family of them and I totally appreciate what a mamoth effort achieving this goal is for you.

I couldn't be prouder of you... I am going to show this thread to my nail biting family members and show them that it can be done!

Oops double post
    Last edited by tk1999; April 22nd, 2009 at 02:42 PM.

Thank you GUYS

I am too, so proud of myself.... and it is rare i am proud of myself lol

/add's berrocca to the shopping list lol

Oh...I'm so jealous...as I sit here nibbling . It know it is such a hard habit to break...I've been trying for the last 20 years

But I am very ...good on you

Hope I can break the habit too one day...off to find my nail strenghtener now

I used to bite my nails too. I had always wanted long nails as a kid and was so ashamed of biting them. I finally stopped biting my nails in year 8. I remember it vividly. I used to have 1 nail on each hand that I'd let grow and bite the rest, one nail at a time I kicked the habit I still have gross nails though, probably because they are in water all day at work. BUT I DON"T BITE THEM

I completely understand your joy. Feels so good to finally break that habit. Mine happened when I was pg with Harry and driving to QLD. I just didnt feel like doing it anymore. 3 years later my nails are finally worth writing home about, haha.

Congratulations! Now comes the fun part of keeping the little bacteria bridges clean.