thread: Sprained finger

Add ~clover~ on Facebook

Sep 2007
    travelling

Sprained finger

Sounds silly, but I sprained/jarred my finger at netball training last night. It normally wouldn't be a problem... if it wasn't the last round of prelim finals & our last chance to get into the grand final tomorrow.

I hurt it & had 5 minutes then went back to training. 10 minutes later catching the ball was impossible. It started to swell so I iced it. Came home & iced it for another hour or 2.

Today its still swollen & its nicely bruised

I need to be able to catch the ball by tomorrow. I will just have to grin & bear it, but any idea's on reducing the swelling/bruising & pain before tomorrow? I guess more ice would be a good start. I have anti inflammitories, would they help at all? At least if the swelling went down I could move my finger.

I strapped it this arvo, but will that help at all?

I feel so silly winging & asking advice for a sore (black!) finger

Apr 2009
    Epping, VIC

I feel your pain!

Grab some magic spray if you can (Elastoplast ice spray) - it sort of numbs it.

You can tape it to the finger next to it while you play.

Probably unconventional- but move it, to break up the swelling and bruising.

Add ~clover~ on Facebook

Sep 2007
    travelling

I have been moving it, as far as it'll go. Too much swelling to straighten it & bend too far. Could feel it stiffening last night, so was trying to keep moving, but that might've made it worse then

Will ice it for the rest of tonight & I have a similar spray in the pantry I forgot about. All natural pain relief spray. Not sure it'll help, but will give it a go.

I'm sure if the swelling goes it'll be 100% better! I think thats causing more pain than the bruising.

Mar 2004
    Sparta

Rest it too. No more wiggling.

Nov 2009
    Scottish expat living in Geelong

ibuprofen will help with the swelling, and ice it regularly