thread: Vertigo

2014 BellyBelly RAK Recipient.

Dec 2008
    Melbourne, VIC

Vertigo

Hi,
    A couple of days ago I started to have some pretty scary dizzy spells, where the entire room was spinning out of control. It happened once on Thursday morning while I was lying in bed, and on Friday I had several more of these episodes, also in the morning. I went to the hospital yesterday because I was so freaked out and they told me I had vertigo...???? Has anyone had it and how long did it take to pass?
    The doc told me it will last a couple of days but I'm worried it will take longer that that. I am still feeling light headed now.
    Thanks
    Beata.

Mar 2006

Yup - def had it. I was on Stemetil tablets for quiet a while. In total, I had it for a few months, but it settled down dramtically after about a week and was even better with the stemetil. After the first week, I'd get it maybe a couple of times a week and it slowly decreased. I'd just take some stemetil when I felt an episode starting and sit down for 15 minutes and I'd be right again. Wasn't good at the time though as I was in the CFA and it stopped me from doing a few things - experiencing vertigo whilst of the roof of a 3 storey building is not good! Thankfully it was just a drill!

Dec 2008
    Melbourne, VIC

Thanks Mother Goose. The doc at the hospital prescribed Stemzine which sounds similar to the one you took. I have taken it twice and the head spinning has improved a little. Yesterday after the shower I put my head forward to put the towel on my head and I got the biggest dizzy spell, I almost fell over if it wasn't for the towel rail. I guess I know my limits for now. I also find tilting my head to the left really makes my head spin. I'm a bit worried as I'm aiming to have a FET in late May/early June so I don't know if this vertigo thing is going to mess up my cycle.
    Thanks for your help MG.
    Beata.

Mar 2006

Stemizine and Stemetil are actually the same drug - just a different name for it. I'd avoid having showers that are too hot until you get over this vertigo. If it goes on for too long, ask to be tested for postural hypotension as well.

MG

Dec 2008
    Melbourne, VIC

Thanks hun, I hope it doesn't hang around for too long, I'm already over it and it's only been 3 days, lol. Thanks for all your advice, you've been great
    B.

Oct 2006
    Adelaide, SA

Just found this thread.
    I live with vertigo on a daily basis, have done since I was around 16, although it's gotten much better. I have what's called bonine vertigo, basically I have a stone loose in my ear canal which can not be fixed.
    Every morning I wake up feeling like I'm going to vomit, I haven't been able to eat breakfast for many years. This is due to me laying down for so long, so when I get up I experience the dizzies, it usually lasts about an hour, but then I have bad days where it doesn't go away at all, it's just awful. On these days I take the stemetel and it helps a little.
    I sympathise with ya! Hope it goes away soon for you.

Dec 2008
    Melbourne, VIC

Hi Gracious Goddess,
    You poor love!!! I don't feel so bad any more...It must be aweful to have it on daily basis, I really sympathise with you hun! My vertigo has gotten heaps better, I haven't had a head spin since Sunday, although my head feels funny some days like I am really light headed. I just had it bad for 3 days, I am so lucky. I hope it doesn't come back again, as I was so freaked out I thought there was something bad in my head! My brother had a brain tumour when he was 18 so I really freaked out. Thanks so much for your reply, and I really feel for you hun. It's such a horrible feeling, I wouldn't wish it upon anybody. I wish yours would go away!!!
    Take care!
    Beata xxx

Oct 2008
    Canning Vale, Perth

hey hun
    my DP got benign vertigo a few months ago, he couldnt stand up we took him to emergency they said its when the grit that lives in your inner ear becomes loose and make you dizzy. he was over it in about 24-36 hrs and it never relapsed, he had hit his head a few days prior and doc reckons thats what did it. not much u can do but rest and wait! hope your feeling better