Thread: What can/will they give me?

Unhappy What can/will they give me?

This is really hard for me to say, most people who know me don't know this side of me and i am very embarassed to admit it but i think i need some help with it.

Ever since i was about 13/14 i have had a serious anger problem. I fly off the handle for no reason. The tiniest things will set me off for hours. When i was a teenager i was taken to the drs and just told it was hormones and i will settle down as i get older..

My mum would buy me Vitamin B6 to make me 'happy' which worked for a short time but then it didnt work anymore and she gave up (well she kicked me out)

My anger has been a problem in my relationship with DP. I have fits of anger where i just yell and yell, i used to be quite physical which would end with him just shaking me until i stopped and then id spend an hour just bawling my eyes out.

When i was pregnant i mellowed out, i would cry all the time but DP said he prefered that to my anger. But now since having DD my anger has come back and the past few weeks i just yell all the time.

I have moments of being really unreasonable. But i cant help the anger, i have tried to stop myself from yelling by breathing in and out but it just comes out. I feel all hot and i feel like my head will explode.

I'm taking myself to the drs this week about it, would they put me on some kind of anti depressant to make me happy.. or would it be hormone related??

I too have been known to have the ocassional outburst too.

I've noticed that since I've been incorporating regular exercise into my life it is non exsistent...

Sorry to hear your having a tough time. Are you going to "your" doctors? Are they aware that this was a issue for you before pregnancy? I'd hate for them to try and rule it to be post natal depression if it was there before.

Sorry I can't be of much help with what they will give you but try and make an effort for you time between now and then... see you can find a friend or something who can give you a few hours ever few days to go for a solo walk or even time for a long bath / shower just to give you time to chill out, time without baby, time without DP, just time for you!

best of luck, and if you feel like chatting you know where we are

I have never spoken to anyone about it.

I will make it clear that i felt this way long before having my DD so they cant rule it as PND. But then i have PCOS so i don't know if this could be associated with it..

TBH, I'd be more inclined to try and address the rage rather than suppress it. The Vit B is very good for helping with stress levels for sure, but only if your levels are down or being drained through constant stress.

If its a part of your personality (as it is mine) , it can be helped. The excercise will be very beneficial, but you need to try and address the lack of balance in other ways than anti-d's or some sort of happy pill. That can be an easy way, and doing it naturally can take longer but will also serve you in the longer term.

xoxoxo

i agree with lulu. maybe if you had the opportunity to speak to someone & really talk it through, they may be able to give you some strategies for dealing with the anger when it's building up rather than giving you something that means it never happens in the first place.

also, i don't know if you've ever tried yoga, but doing yoga is one of the only ways i can 'turn off my brain'. i have a terrible habit of thinking too much & my brain is usually going a million miles an hour. yoga is pretty much the only thing i've tried that totally chills me out & helps me to refocus. not sure if it would help, but i wouldn't think it could hurt

i reckon you've done the toughest thing - you've admitted it's a problem for you & that you'd like to change. it's not an easy thing to do but you're on your way now. i hope the doctor is helpful

I agree. I'd be looking at CBT or coping mechanisms rather than opting for AD's straight off the bat. AD's aren't just to make you happy. They are for chemical imbalances that result in emotional and physical problems relating to depression. Anger by itself is not a symptom of depression. And you really need to work on the causes rather than hiding the symptoms. Perhaps it might be best to talk to your Dr about seeing a psychologist and getting to the root of the problem and work on strategies to reduce the reactions to your own anger.

if you are wanting to try Yoga, there is a mum and bubs yoga class that I found in Chifley ymca

I'm another that agrees that learning coping mechanisms might be a better way to treat anger issues than AD's which just mask the problem. Seeing someone like a psychologist/psychiatrist who will help you understand/work out what triggers the outburst & ways to work through and control them. I think there is someway through a GP referral the appointments are bulkbilled.

My DH had great success with kinesiology to help with some anger issues he had. It was prior to meeting me so I don't know the exact extent of his anger issues but he says it really did help him and he still uses techniques he learned at times when he's under stress and he also swears by exercise and will take himself for a run or long walk when he feels things becoming too much and is a different person by the time he gets back home.