Thread: What do you do when.....

Default What do you do when.....

.... you just want to EAT!!!

Here I am trying to lose weight, and it's been relatively slow going. I've lost about 15lb in 3 1/2 months, and want to lose another 20 before my SIL's wedding - August. I've been trying to exercise when I get a chance (got a video, so I can do it right at home with the kids if necessary.) and cut back on any snacking. But the trouble is, lately it seems like my kids are miserable at each other, Emily's teething, Marieke is potty training and seems to have hit the terrible two's suddenly and HARD, and Elyse is really struggling with giving up her soother (dummy) at bedtime. She's crying and yelling about ANYTHING that doesn't go her way.
    So anyways, my days are stressful and tiring, and I don't want to exercise or diet - I want to hide in a corner with a good book and EAT SOMETHING FATTENING! And I'm trying not to - trying to have a cup of tea instead, or just ignore the desire and hope it goes away, but I'd love some good suggestions for dealing with these cravings.

morgan78 Guest

I have been buying mini poppadums which take about 40 seconds in the microwave
    or digestive biscuits yes there is some sugar in them but just one fills that gap & satisfys the craving without feeling really guilty about calories
    Also the more you try to not eat "bad" foods the more you will think about it and find it harder to stick to the diet. Allow yourself a treat every few days or once a week and just walk around the block or spend an extra 15 mins chasing the kids
    HTH and good luck with the dieting

I am soooo with you sister!!!

Ok the trick to losing weight ... is .... eating. Strangely enough, but it's true. If you don't eat, your body goes into starvation mode (long biological explaination) and when you then turn to comfort food (the something fatting) it store that fat for the next time it's "starving" So the trick is to eat constantly on heatlhy, low-fat, low GI foods.

Ok, so here is what I do

1) Portion Control. You can eat whatever you want IN MODERATION!!!!!!!!!!! Your stomach is as big as your fist. So think about that before gorging down two sandwitches and apple and a chocolate. You can rather have a sandwich and then after an hour have the apple.
    2) Eat breakfast. No matter what. Have a healthy breakfast (Egg on toast, cereal with skim milk, fruit and yoghurt) before 10 in the morning.
    3) Don't cut out foodgroups. Yes, some ppl think (me included) that bread is the Holy Evil, but IN MODERATION your body needs it.
    4) Exercise. Even if you dance silly in the living room with the girls. Get your endorphins going and will make you feel better about everything.
    5) REST. You eat more when you are tired.

Best thing I EVER did, for me, was join Weight Watchers. It's not a diet, it's a life-style choice.

Try substitution (SP!!) for something healthy. Instead of eating a jelly dougnut with cream, eat a plain dougnut. Instead of eating chocolate, drink a cup of hot coco and nibble ONE biscut. Instead of having ice-cream (my vice) have frozen yoghurt. And don't beat yourself up if you DO eat two slices of cheesecake. Just shrugg it off and start again and eat like a salad for dinner that day. Don't ignore your desire, it just might come back in full fury when you least expect, kwim, yeah you do.
    You do the shopping, make sure you don't buy stuff that can lead you into temptation later and if you do buy treats, make sure they are individually wraped, so that if you open a packet of cookies, there are only two in the packet, get my drift?

It helps me to write down what I eat. EVERYTHING. That forces you to note what you put in your mouth.

Ok, enough rambling from me Goodluck!!

The Jarrah Hot Chocolates are low fat/low cal and very sweet so if you are craving bad foods then they are a good option. Also a chuppa chup, you can suck for ages and satisfy that sweet craving.

Alternately a small handful of nuts (almonds, cashews & brazil nuts) can keep sweet cravings at bay. Also dates are reallt sweet and you only need a couple to satisfy.

Thanks ladies. I think I do need to eat more, but I feel like I'll pick the wrong things! I don't WANT to eat raw veggies. And I know I need to drink more water. I was doing that before I became pregnant with Emily, but it was a struggle. I honestly could be very satisfied with 2 cups of coffee a day, and maybe a glass of milk. I don't feel any more thirsty than that. But I know that's not healthy, especially when I'm nursing.

Generally, I have two pieces of whole grain toast with margarine for breakfast, or oatmeal with apples and raisins and a bit of brown sugar (1tsp?), or a bowl of cereal, and a coffee with cream and sugar.

Lunch is a little more varied - whole grain sandwich with turkey and cheese, or leftover spaghetti (with whole grain noodles, tomatoes, peppers, onion, mushrooms, hamburger, and sauce.), a bowl of homemade soup, macaroni and cheese sometimes, and a glass of water or milk.

Supper is usually meat (baked chicken, lean pork chops on the BBQ, meat balls with lean beef) potatoes, or rice (1/4 cup uncooked) and boiled veggies - two kinds, or one with a salad (lowfat dressing). Milk or water with supper, and a cup of coffee after (with cream and sugar).

I generally do not snack, or eat after supper. If we have guests over, or are visiting someone, then I will have a snack, but not at home. If I feel like I HAVE to eat something, I have yogourt or a handful of cereal. DH and I sometimes have tea together in the evening, or rarely a cup of hot chocolate.

DH eats the same way that I do, and he works in a physically demanding job, outside all day, and he is also about 50lb over weight.

I think we must have very efficient metabolisms, or something. The only comfort I have is that if a famine comes, DH and I will still be standing at the end!

Anyways, there's my "diet" and if you have some ways to make veggies more appealing with out being fattening, or some good suggestions for healthy snacks, bring 'em on!

healthy snacks: any nuts but not peannts and cashews. So macadamias, brazil, almonds etc. make up a mix and pop it in a container in the fridge....all those nuts are excellents sources of good protein. Looking at your meal plan I see that you could do with some more good protein foods and maybe a bit less on the higher GI carbs. Potato, rice and most white flour pastas are high gi and so absorbed way too quickly into the bloodstream for your body to deal with. If you want potato try waxy potatoes and if you want rice try basmati or doongara rice as these are all lower GI foods. Wholegrain pastas are okay too. Yoghurt is a great snack as long as it is not too high in refined sugars.... you sound like you are from OS with your talk of pounds so I am not sure what nutrition info is on food labels where you are. Here you can check on the label the total carb value of a food but also how much of that is made up of sugar. The less sugar is in the total carb value the better.

If you want to make vegies more appealing or hide them even, make a stir fry, or pastry less pie (you know just the pastry on top not all round it to cut down the carb content), clear soups of all varieties (try and avoid soups that need cream added), creative pizzas using pita bread for the base. I do a pita bread pizza with a sauce made from a tin of diced organic tomatoes and chopped up basil (throw in other spices if you want). Then it has red onion, chopped up spinach, mushroom, cherry tomato, bocconcini and fetta cheese, avocado and mozarella cheese on top. somewhere in there i add salt and pepper and some peppered seasoning mix for a bit of oomph. You can also add some cut up grilled chicken as well.
    Oh and three meals a day is not enough...... it may sound strange but eating a healthy snack in between all those meals will actually help you lose weight because it stimulates your metabolism to work faster.

Thanks melbel! Yes, getting my head around the snacking thing is a bit of a challenge. I really feel like I shouldn't eat! But I will try eating a little more, and choosing carefully. BTW - I got the waxy red potatoes in my groceries today, not the usual yellow ones. I have to learn more about cooking brown rice, I think, but I should try it too.

Cricket,
    when dd was going through a time I found challenging, I got into the habit of giving myself a reward as soon as she went to sleep during the day. I would grab a cup of tea and have 2 squares of chocolate. I found looking forward to that reward and just having a little bit of chocolate kept the cravings at bay and gave me something to look forward to when I was stressed.
    I think it is really difficult to be too hard on yourself with food when you have lots of stress going on and as long as you eat well the rest of the time, a little reward occasionally is not going to hurt.

good luck.