Thread: Why is my DH always sick?

Default Why is my DH always sick?

It's been a long winter here, and since it's been so cold here, people have been inside together more than usual, which means lots of colds and flu being passed around. Everyone has been sick. Our family has all taken our share of turns - pretty much all of January, and into February, we were down with one thing after another. However, DH seems to get it particularly badly. (Of course, being a man, he doesn't suffer in silence, But he really is getting pretty sick each time.) And now he's getting something again - he's achey all over, exhausted, sore throat, congested sinuses, etc. I've had my share, as I said, but not as much as him, and I thought pregnancy would lower my immune system, so I'd be more sick.
    He has not had a super busy winter. He does out door work, and when it's really cold, he can't work, so there have been a number of days at home for him, where he was able to rest and read, spend time with the kids... It was really nice. (except for the colds and flu...) He has had a number of late meetings - he's on about 4 committees from our school and church, so that has been kind of busy, but not too crazy. He exercises every morning on an exercise bike, takes a multi-vitamin every day, and I try to make sure he eats well. (He's just starting to try to lose some weight, and his theory is "if I don't eat, I'll lose weight." I've been trying to teach him that he needs to eat well - lots of fruits and veggies, and limit the snacking, etc.)
    So what else can I do? Are there some people who just have weak immune systems? He was on antibiotics a lot as a kid - would that have lowered his resistance? When he is able to work outside, they work under tarps, with heat blown in - is the frequent temperature change harmful? Is there a particular set of vitamins he should have? He's on a basic adult multi-vitamin. Is there something else I should try? Acidophilus or something, to get his healthy bacteria count up? (Of course, he hasn't had any antibiotics recently, nor is this a stomach issue, so I don't know.) I'm kind of grasping at straws here. And help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

My hubby and I went down tis road last year. Turned out he contracted Ross River Fever and apparently will cop bad colds every year from now on. We have him on some vitamins that help stretghen his immune system which seem to be working well! PM me if you want the details

Hmm just saw that you are in Canada so don't think Ross river will be a problem for you unless you have been somewhere tropical lately???? Could it be a similar virus that is local to your area that causes these symptoms? I would be taking him to the Dr to get a good check over!

Nope, no tropical holidays for us, unfortunately. Wow, that must be miserable for you and your DH, Sarah! Frustrating to know that he will probably always be getting these colds. Does that mean he gets everything else that comes around too?
    I probably should make a doctor's appointment for my DH, and just get a thorough check-up done, and make sure nothing particularly unusual is going on. Heavens only knows your mind can run wild with all the possibilities. Of course, what are the chances I'll be able to get him to take time off work, and into the doctor's office. But I'll talk to him about it anyways, and see if I can convince him. Thanks!

Ross River was actually a blessing compared to what else we (well I) was dwelling on. It has been strange as we have been together 12years and he has never been sick so it was a bit of a shock to both our systems. These vitamins are working a treat through, he was under the weather on Wednesday and we managed to knock it on the head pretty quickly.