Thread: Biting

Default Biting

I`m after some suggestions as to what to do with Matthew and his biting behaviour, it seems to be Mummy whom he bites and it happens mainly while I`m feeding Adrian, yesterday he gave me quite a nasty bite on my hand, I say no to him and he totally ignores me and laughs, I know it`s obviously an attention seeking issue but what do I do???

To make matters worse a couple of times while feeding Adrian I`ve taken my eyes off what I`m doing and Matthew has come up and bitten Adrian on the toe, I feel like a bad mother for letting it happen.

Any suggestions would be a great help, I`ve thought about trying to ignore him biting thinking that might work, just not sure what to do.

Take Care

Dee

Awww its so tough juggling the two isnt it..i can remember it well. Is there any chance you can get Matthew to do something while you are feeding Adrian? Jess was a bit older but I could occupy her for some of the when feeding Em by saying oh and are you going to feed your baby like mummy..or bring me the book and mummy will read it to you while Im feeding.....

I absolutely agree with the biting being attention seeking behaviour and I with him being so little its tough to know how to deal with that other than say we dont bite and keep reiterating positive praise for positive behaviour. I would still be looking for distraction as a tool to get the right behaviour and having some special time with Mummy so he doesnt feel too left out. Its a huge disruption in little ones lives and Dee i think you are doing an amazing job. All the best

Jo

Dee, I am still having troubles with this behaviour and Kat. Mind you now she does it more when frustrated. I know how hard it is and all I can say is time outs. When Kat bites someone now, we get down on her level, tell her no, we do not bite and put her in her cot for a time out. You may not be able to do that when you are feeding, but if someone else is there with you, you can ask them to help you and put him out in his cot for a while. *hugs* I feel for you. I felt the same, that I was a bad mum. But having said that. Some children are just more orally fixated and bite, some hit, some pinch. And we can only do our best and model the right behaviour and hope they grow out of it.....

Goodluck!

Dee,
    I'm at the same spot you are...I did ask Pinky in the professional support. I think the title was "gentle solutions to biting". Its nasty especially when mum tends to bear the brunt of it.
    Bec

Thanks girls for your suggestions, we`re still no closer to a solution, I can distract him one minute the next he`s latching onto me, it`s not nice especially when I`m now getting covered in bruises. He adores his baby brother and actually will tell me where to sit to feed him or tell me to put Adrian down on the playmat or in the rocker etc, so I know he has accepted Adrian so I`m thinking it`s just a stage he`s at and hopefully it`ll pass soon.

Bec - I`ll take a look at your post.

I`m getting told by some family members to bite or hit him back, I keep telling them two wrongs DO NOT make a right.

Take Care

Dee

Mackenzie was a biter, still is sometimes. It is a frustration thing for her if she isn't getting her own way. She bites me now instead of other kids so I guess that is a good thing - if I can look at it that way! When we get bitten (or hit) she is sent to her corner. We just have to tell her and off she goes. Once she has calmed down we go over to her and ask her if she is sorry and give her a kiss. In saying this we only have Mackenzie and we aren't trying to juggle a feed in there! We have found this has worked the best for her. Sometimes if she raises her hand to hit I tell her if she hits me she will be going to the corner and you would be suprised to see her stop mid swing. No answers for you but this has worked for us. Good luck