Thread: i feel like the worst mum today

Default i feel like the worst mum today

i feel so bad.. i lost my temper with my 10 month old today. Something i promised i wouldn't do..(yell)!! he just seems so naughty atm. and I know he isnt. he bites me (especially my boobs) hits mine and others face(where he learned this I have no idea) and just seems sooky. (yes he is teething with 8th tooth coming through)Is this normal 10 month old behaviour? Does he understand what he is doing. I say "no dont bite mummy" and he still does it. and the same when he hits. I really dont want to raise my voice but I was trying to clean the house today and lost my patience. I know he is just a bub and i feel so guilty... not to mention the fact that i am exhausted from his 10 months of constant night waking... sorry had to rant! any advice for this sort of thing.
    Thanks!!

First things first - don't feel guilty. Its going to add another negative emotion in there and add to your burden.

I think that babies can understand the tone of your voice, but he is definitely not being naughty, hun. He may be testing his boundaries which is completely normal - thats how he finds out what they are. Everything you said is normal behaviour in my opinion, especially while teething. Maybe next time you can leave the room and just close the door on yourself for a mniute or two - even if its in the toilet? At least you won't have yelled and fely guilty. He definitely is not going to understand "Don't bite Mummy" but he may understand by the tone of your voice that its not acceptable.

Can someone watch him while you have a nap?

Hi Guccibabe!
    I have been where you are a few times with my son who is 12 months old. I have lost my temper and yelled at my DS a couple of times before as well and his face has just crumpled and he has cried the most pathetic cry - which just made me feel worse then I did to begin with.
    I'm there with you on the frequent night waking as well. DS can wake anywhere from 3-5 or sometimes more times a night. Rarely do I get more then a 3 hour block out of him and he is down to one day sleep as well. I would be curious to hear more about your night waking issues and maybe we can give each other some ideas - and definitely some support!

Don't feel bad...we all do it at some time or another, especially when we have other pressures upon us that little bubs just can't and shouldn't know about! As mentioned before shouting and screaming obviously isn't preferable but they can understand your tone of voice. Sorry I have no ideas on the biting thing....mine were bottle babies! I just want to tell you not to feel too bad, we all do things we wish we hadn't at times, no one is perfect! I hope it all improves for you soon on the sleep front....sleep deprivation is a stressful thing. Good luck!

I second what the others have said esp. bec_107. I yelled at my 8 month old the other day, "what;s the matter bubby?" as if she could tell me!! I have heard that sometimes the reaction they get from biting is so exciting they do it again. I actually say "uh!uh!" in a very sharp tone, and stop feeding her, only for a few minutes if she's crying.
    He's NOT doing it to upset you, he's really not. Wait till he's two!! But again, don't feel bad, it's part of life and you are very tired and human. Just give cuddles say you're sorry, and forgive yourself. He'll have already forgotten about it!! It's horrible that these children that we long for and love so much sometimes drive us completely mental!

thanks for all your words of wisdom! I gave little tariq big hugs and kisses last night and I hope he forgave me. He is such a beautiful bub and I am so grateful for him.. i guess its all part of the parenting journey! BTW. has anyone read the DR Sears disapline book..i thought i might read up for the future!LOL

Quote Originally Posted by lilprecious75 View Post
    Hi Guccibabe!

I'm there with you on the frequent night waking as well. DS can wake anywhere from 3-5 or sometimes more times a night. Rarely do I get more then a 3 hour block out of him and he is down to one day sleep as well. I would be curious to hear more about your night waking issues and maybe we can give each other some ideas - and definitely some support!
    YES I can so relate! its so exhausting and some days you wonder how to get on! I am so against CC even though many (dr's ..health nurse) have suggested it ,so I guess i am just waiting for the day that he is ready to sleep at least 6 hours!!! AHHHH that would be bliss!
    have you got any ideas!?

Fee Guest

I don't have any advice but just wanted to say that I have lost my temper before and sort of yelled at DS. Pretty silly really - as if he knows what's going on! And he's not being naughty on purpose. I felt terrible. *hugs*