Thread: i have created a monster!

Default i have created a monster!

My DD usually goes to bed in her own cot but then comes to our bed when she wakes through the night and feeds as much as she likes but the past week or so she has only been sleeping for a very short time in her cot, last night and the night before it was only 1.5-2 hours before she wakes and cries until she is on the boob, she pretty much does this all night and she cries out loudly if she does not have access to mummy's milk. She will periodically break away and roll over for some sleep until she wakes again and "demands" more milk. It is driving me a bit insane, does anyone have any experience with a similar thing?

Hi:

First of all are you sick of the broken sleep or the demand feeds that you dont think are needed or both?

Why dont you start introducing a bottle instead of a breastfeed for the bedtime routine and thats it as i honestly think that it sounds like a habit on her part to have a drink because 'she can' and honestly does she need it ? NO not really. Tell her that the milk like mum has gone to has gone to sleep and wont be up til tomorrow. It like the sun when the sun goes to sleep so does the milk. Also i would encourage her toi stay in her cot all night and you could introduce a soft small blanket or toy for her to associate for sleep. Worth a try... and then you may get some descent sleep and you breast will be left alone iykwim.

It will obviously take some training and some tantrums but if you persevere it would be worth it hey?

Cheers Bubno.3

i had the same issues with my 14 month old..
    we just perservered as breastfeeding was/is so important.
    she is now down to 1 feed a day either first thing in the morning or during the night.
    she isnt a monster she just loves mummys cuddles and milk!

i like the milk and sun analogy...hee hee..

My DD did exactly the same thing and I was exhausted as I would be then getting up at 6am for work. I tried different things without much luck and then would sometimes give her a bottle and she would sleep better. She would only have a few slurps and go off to sleep. I weaned her 5weeks ago and she just turned 2 yesterday and thankfully sleeps in her own big bed most nights or she will walk in and climb in bed with us other nights. Its not usually till 4plus am and then goes straight back to sleep with me and DH till 8am. She sleeps great now despite the booby snacking all night when she was around 12-18months old. You could try some expressed breast milk if you don't want her having other milk or even warm water or else can your DH attend to her? I am sure its a stage she will grow out of even if you don't find the best solution for the now. GL

Thanks doudou- I am hoping it is just a stage and you are right she isnt a monster lol, she really does love her milk at the moment. sometimes I just feel frustrated and need to hear that others have had a similar experience at this age. its hard when there are no other cosleeping or breastfeeding mums in your circle and you feel a bit "out there" and have noone to ask about these things. Sometimes you second guess yourself. Thank you for all your replies, I would like to continue breastfeeding and co-sleeping but I just wondered if it was a developmental or stage thing which would hopefully resolve itself or if i need to alter things a bit? Thanks for the reassurance.

Aimz, she doesn't know that she's past the magical 12 mth mark and she isn't 'supposed' to need Mummy's milk as much.

It's just a phase and I wouldn't be worried about getting her out of it unless it's really bothering you or interfering with your wellbeing. My DD went from being a beautiful settled night-time sleeper until about 14 mths when she became more like a new baby again! (It passed!) If you are finding it's too disruptive you could introduce a sippy cup of water overnight, but TBH I'd be reluctant to do it while she's still so little. It could be that she's genuinely needing the nutrition from bm.

What are her eating and bfing habits like during the day? An alternative is to fit in an extra bf in the late afternoon, early evening and make sure she's getting enough to eat. That way she might not be as wakeful at night.