Thread: "It's empty"...

Unhappy "It's empty"...

I know, I should be happy, yaddiyaddah...
    My boy now points to my boob and says 'it's empty, mummy' and goes for the other one...which empties out soon after, too...he's starting to realise it's not a disaster cos he can keep sucking for the nice feeling.
    Just, I didn't think I'd ever empty out! And didnt' think it would be this soon into the pregnancy - 11 weeks tomorrow.
    I hope he keeps asking for Babu, even just out of habit for comfort, cos I will be needing his help in October!!
    DP said "well, he IS nearly 3"...sensitive soul that he is...

omg did I miss that you were pregnant??
    Congratulations!! That is fabulous news!

I am sorry that you are having trouble maintaining your feeding relationship with DS though Hopefully you can keep the supply up enough and further down the line it may pick up agian.
    If it doesnt though, you are an inspiration to the rest of us anyway - feeding for almost 3 years is a fantastic achievement! I am sure he has benefited enormously from it, even if it does come to an end sooner than youd hoped.

Good luck with the rest of the pregnancy!!

It was a sad day when my DS weaned himself half way through my pregnancy with DD

Congratulations on your pregnancy and enjoy your current breastfeeding journey. It will be difficult no matter when he decides to wean

Congratulations Mayaness (on the pg that is!). I totally understand how you feel. My DS was only 11 months when I fell pg and he persisted until 14 months before giving up. I think your DS is more likely to continue past this though, as he is older and can understand what is going on better. I have my fingers crossed for you hun. And even if he does stop, toddlers that age often ask for it again when they see the baby bfing.

Oh Maya you know I have always admired your bountiful supply! I so sympathise! The same thing happend to me when I was 3 months pregnant with Ollie - nothing for my little Flynnie. It kind of makes me feel more normal though, because if she with the overflowing supply can drop during pregnancy then me with the "i was made to live in a desert and conserve supply" can't be too bad a cow
    Hugs to you and O - I can imagine what you are going thru.

Firstly, congratulations on your prg!

Secondly, hang in there - this happened to us too but I reduced our feeds (we were struggling to feed during the day and he was becoming increasingly frustrated so stuck with first thing in the morning and just before bed) and this seemed to help, now at 22 weeks, we are still feeding. So it might not be the end just yet, as long as he is still happy to feed, keep at it, your supply might make a reappearance.

thanks so much, girls - all your posts have made me a bit teary, and that's ok!
    Willow - you give me hope! He has suddenly dropped most day feeds in the last week, and it's now morning and night, and overnight (though I'm trying to nicely stop this so that he has some for morning!!).
    I'm in good company, I know that enough

There is definitely hope! I now find that although he is feeding less often, he is feeding for longer and longer and his feed before bed is 15-20 mins some nights, and he has NEVER fed that long! I have even had nights when I've had to gently end the feed because it was becoming painful (nipple sensitivity is back in the last few weeks) So they find their way, they really do. Especially a big boy like yours!

Matryoshka Guest

Congratulations mate!

You may find that if he keeps sucking for comfort your supply will pick back up again, so keep offering both sides if you want to continue, and lots of nipple stimulation too. Otherwise perhaps he'll want to try again once all the rich new born milk comes in later hey?!

OMG - you're pregnant! Congratulations!! *hugs*

I stopped getting a letdown at the end of the first trimester. DS was still feeding to sleep, and that's probably what kept him feeding because he 'needed' those feeds. I weaned him off the middle of the night feeds at around this time too.

I dunno if supply picks up again, as it's natural for the supply to change in readiness for the new bub, but I do agree that there seems to be a dry spell, and then colostrum kicks in (for me anyway) around 18 weeks.. so if you can stick it out, you might find he'll have at least colostrum to drink a bit later on. You'll know.. coz the poos get looser LOL. I'm guessing Oscar is TT'd tho? At least you won't have nasty nappies to deal with haha.

Congrats again! Very exciting!

congrats!! wow!!
    my ds weaned when i was 25 weeks pg xoxox
    you've done soooo well mate, what a great start to life for your ds

and then colostrum kicks in (for me anyway) around 18 weeks.. You'll know.. coz the poos get looser LOL.
    Really?? I haven't noticed this at all. I thought colostrum didn't come in till much later than that? Interesting....might explain why DS has started pointing and saying 'drink' when he first starts sucking
    my ds weaned when i was 25 weeks pg
    There seems to be something about 25 weeks, I've had lots of mums tell me their little ones weaned around 25 weeks...only 3 weeks for us so I'll let you know.

Matryoshka Guest

I had milk throughout my pregnancy, and i honestly didn't notice much of a supply drop but for the fact that around half way my DS started going from one side to the other during feeds which i later was told would have kept up my supply. I didn't get colostrum til fairly late as well. So is different for everyone.

Yeah it is different. My DS used to come off and then ask for a drink LOL. So obviously wasn't getting much! But he kept on feeding a number of times a day, so it certainly wasn't due to lack of stimulation LOL. It all depends on your body and your child I think.

Bugger, thought I'd posted last night!
    Sorry for the sneaky news DP and I decided we would just play this one quietly this time and make no announcements. Something Yael posted about many moons ago just resonated!
    DS is happy enough to suck still, even though he hops from side to side hoping for the best. I'm even happy for him to suck for ages because that initial tenderness is gone and it feels nice again.

OMG firstly a BIG CONGRATS AND WOW on being pg!

You have done so well feeding for so long. I felt bitter sweet about Oskar stopping but he does find other ways to come and be close to mummy. to you.