Thread: newborn issues

Default newborn issues

my daughter is 2 weeks old and i just have a few issues that i would appreciate your thoughts on.

1. at times hannah has trouble getting to sleep and after hours of on and off breastfeeding, rocking, etc she finally falls asleep but then decides to do a poo. should i wake her up to change her or just leave it until she wakes up. (if i wake her up to change it it is another hour of the above before falling asleep again.)

2. all the sleepless nights have recently caught up with me and i have resorted the last two nights to putting hannah into the bed next to me to sleep. she settles almost instantly and sleeps soundly for 2 hours when i do this, yet when she is in the basinet next to our bed she is fidgety and wakes up every 10 or so minutes. should i try to get her to sleep in the basinet or just let her and us get some sleep by allowing her in our bed. (i am thinking about the SIDS risks here, also good sleeping habits)

3. she seems to fall asleep during the day only if i hold her until she is in a deep sleep, she just puts her mouth on my nipple and doesnt suck but falls asleep. how do i discourage this, or should i discourage this, as i cant be holding her every time she needs to sleep. i want her to be able to self-sooth herself.

4.sometimes my boobs feel soft and empty and she gets really frustrated trying to get milk. even when they are firm and full after about 5-10 mins of feeding they feel empty again. arent babies meant to feed for 30mins or so? she is only really feeding for between 5 - 15 minutes each feed is this normal?

well thats about it for now,
    sorry it is so long. i just feel sometimes that i dont know what i should and shouldnt be doing, or what is normal or not normal for a 2 week old.

thanks

Well, this is just my opinion, but:

1) I'd wait until she wakes, it won't do any harm.

2) I think co-sleeping is fine if you minimise the risks (use blankets rather than a quilt, careful with pillows, etc. - full guidelines are available in quite a few places on the web).

3) At that age I'd leave it; maybe once she's a little older try other ways to get her to sleep.

4) Does she fall asleep at the breast? Maybe try to keep her awake a little longer? But it could just be your body adjusting and producing the right amount of milk, so your breasts aren't getting engorged the way they did when your milk first came in. Have you tried calling the ABA or checking their website?

It sounds like you're doing a great job! I think everyone feels a bit uncertain at times

Ahhhhh lovely, it sounds like you are doing a great job, since you are asking all the right questions.........

1. at times hannah has trouble getting to sleep and after hours of on and off breastfeeding, rocking, etc she finally falls asleep but then decides to do a poo. should i wake her up to change her or just leave it until she wakes up. (if i wake her up to change it it is another hour of the above before falling asleep again.)
    If she is happy in poo and asleep, I would leave her, but then again, it is tricky, because of the risk of nappy rash.....do you use a barrier cream at each nappy change? With Olivia, she would wake the minute she had done a poo regardless, but Charlie (typical boy, LOL!) would happily sleep for hours in a poo with no nappy rash, hence I was OK to leave him.......maybe experiment a bit? But do use a good barrier cream (PawPaw is a nice gentle one)

all the sleepless nights have recently caught up with me and i have resorted the last two nights to putting hannah into the bed next to me to sleep. she settles almost instantly and sleeps soundly for 2 hours when i do this, yet when she is in the basinet next to our bed she is fidgety and wakes up every 10 or so minutes. should i try to get her to sleep in the basinet or just let her and us get some sleep by allowing her in our bed. (i am thinking about the SIDS risks here, also good sleeping habits)

Personally I wouldn't worry about "good sleeping habits" at just 2 weeks old, just concentrate on the two of you getting as much sleep as possible, whatever works!! From a sids risk perspective, are either you or your DH smokers? Because I think that is the only real risk......(but I am no expert on co-sleeping.....neither of my 2 would ever sleep in bed with me, sadly......).....one of the other girls may be of more help here....

she seems to fall asleep during the day only if i hold her until she is in a deep sleep, she just puts her mouth on my nipple and doesnt suck but falls asleep. how do i discourage this, or should i discourage this, as i cant be holding her every time she needs to sleep. i want her to be able to self-sooth herself.
    Do you have a baby carrier? Like a Baby Bjorn or a Hug-a-Bub? That would solve this.....after a feed, if she still wants to be close to you, pop her in a carrier and wear her.....that way, she gets a good nap close to your heartbeat and smell, and you have hands free to do wahtever......again, at 2 weeks old, I wouldn't stress about her ability to self settle.......just concentrate on happy baby and happy Mummy!

sometimes my boobs feel soft and empty and she gets really frustrated trying to get milk. even when they are firm and full after about 5-10 mins of feeding they feel empty again. arent babies meant to feed for 30mins or so? she is only really feeding for between 5 - 15 minutes each feed is this normal?
    Again, I am no expert, but this sounds normal to me......because all babies seem to need feeding for different lengths of time.....Olivia was good but slow (think 40 mins) whereas Charlie could drain a boob in minutes........also, your boobs lose that really full engorged feeling quickly......that is normal, promise! FionaJill maybe able to detail the technacalities better here......she is an ABA BF expert!

Good luck sweets.......

Hollo, firstly Congratulations on the arrival of hannah...

1. I personally would let her sleep even if she has just done a poo, just so you can get some rest, I have not ever had a child with any nappy rash, so I do not use any creams, but if you have a nappy rash cream, I'd recommend putting some on & then if she does happen to poo it wont matter too much & then maybe catch up on some rest yourself & then next time if she does it again you will feel more alive (less sleep deprived) & can change it before resettling.. But this is entirely up to you, I guess it depends on how tired etc you are & if it gives you a bit of a rest..

2. Co sleeping is perfectly fine as long as you are aware bubs is there & you can safely sleep with bubs next to you...
    I personally cannot get any sleep with a baby in my bed, but many on here do & many people around the world do, I do pop Indah in bed with us now & let her feed there early on weekend mornings & when she drifts off to sleep I snuggle up to her! So if yourself & Dh are comfortable & happy to have her in your bed, you get some rest & she can feed on & off allnight (which will also assist in your milk supply) then go for it... as long as bubs doesnt get over heated or blankets on her face etc.. Others will have more info on co sleeping... It is your decision & it's your baby so you guys make this decision & to anyone whom comments negatively tell them to sod off!

3. She is still a very newborn baby & is still trying to get used to every thing new going on in her life, surrpundings etc, soon she will be pushing you away for ciddling her too much & babying her so who cares if your dishes arent done etc, enjoy your Mummy & baby cuddles now, as only you as her Mummy can have her nuzzling your chest & drifting off to sleep, she obviously feels safe, secure, contented & comfy so enjoy the moments beacuse every day they change & before long she will be self settling... But at 2 wks I think wanting her Mummy is normal... I personally wouldnt discourage it at 2wks.... I know there's stuff you could be doing but at 2 wks of age your major role should be caring for bubs & she will start to settle within a few wks time...

4. My friends bub only fed for 3-5 mins at a time & I was amazed as Indah fed for 15-25mins... Her daughter gained more weight than Indah & I guess she just sucked harder & managed to get lot's of satisfying milk out in the same time it took Indah to get my milk.... I dont think there's any hard or fast rule... You need to rest & drink plenty fluids aslo the more you offer the boob the more milk you'll make & so babies go through spurts of wanting & needing to feed every hour or so to build up a bigger supply this is necessary to gaive them all that they need... So your boobs will feel drained but as long as there are plenty of wet & dirty nappies she's getting what she needs...
    There's a great Aktavite recipe for assisting in milk production as well as taking Fenugreek tablets...

But at 2 weeks of age I can bet your exhausted so I'd suggest resting with her & offering her boob as often as possible... Maybe lay down together & be topless so she can snack & feed as she wants too...

Your doing a marvellous job & should be commended!!

Congrat's!!!

thanks everyone. it is good to have such postivie feed back. i surely appreciate all your advice. lets hope hannah gets into a routine soon! :-)