Thread: Night Sleep for a 8 week old!

Default Night Sleep for a 8 week old!

I have an eight week old baby daughter and was wondering how long should she be sleeping during the night? I have had conflicting comments from many. I have to this point been waking her for a feed but am not sure if this is still neccessary. She has been putting on weight beautifully etc. Would love to hear what everyone else's experience has been.

Every child is different, it really depends on many things, their metabolism, their sleep patterns during utero and their "sleep personality" Try not to worry too much at 8 weeks they shouldn't really be settled into any specific sleep routine, and with growth spurts and physical changes it varies week to week.

Is it ok to just let her sleep through the night and feed her when she wakes or should I be waking her at four hours?

My little 8 week old (well tomorrow she will be 8 weeks) has been sleeping from midnight to 6am or 7am for the last week but she is a snacker and catnapper during the day. She has been putting on lots of weight too so I am enjoying the sleep for now as I have been told it could all change again

She would let me know in no uncertain terms if she was hungry.

Thanks Tinsel. How many feeds is your little one having?

mazzie Guest

I definitely wouldn't wake her!! If she can go all night without a feed that's brilliant!! She will just have a big feed in the morning

my bubs is 6 weeks and she sleeps from 10 till 430 then at 6 she will want another feed. kinda makes up for the one she misses. i was waking her for feeds but she was mucking around heaps so as soon as i left her she started drinking her bottles better

If your baby is putting on plenty of weight there is no need to wake her.

Unless there are issues (as in poor weight gain or problems with supply) I would never wake a sleeping baby. In my opinion, if we needed an alarm clock to have our babies thrive, the human species would have long died out. I guess what I'm trying to say is: take your clues from her. She's obviously happy to sleep longer, so let her. She might cluster feed in the evenings or mornings to make up for it.
    The only other reason for waking a sleeping baby would be to offer a roll-over feed. For example if you put her to sleep by 7pm and then go to bed by 10pm yourself and every night she wakes up at 11pm for a feed and ten sleeps through the rest of the night, it would make sense to wake her just before you go to bed to give her that feed in the hopes to maximise your own sleep time IYKWIM

Saša

Don't wake her!!! Someone on here said it just right: " let sleeping babies lie"
    I do agree with Sasa on the roll-over feed, for your own sanity's sake

I had to wake dd every three hours for a feed (premmie, low weight) and she has only just started sleeping through (she's almost 18 months) ... not whole heartedly, but almost there, kwim??