Thread: Ten-Week-Old Day Sleeps

Default Ten-Week-Old Day Sleeps

OK, now I know every baby is different but just curious about other 10-week-olds. My daughter seems to currently have about three or four naps during the day of 45 minutes each. Would love her to be asleep for longer but when she's up, she's up. No crying. Likes to play. So not really a drama.

And at night she either has two lots of five hour sleeps or one big eight or nine hour sleep. So she certainly knows how to sleep!!!

I'm certainly not complaining but would like her to have more solid blocks in the day just so I can get more done. Too tempting to play with her when she's up.

Hi there, my bubs is now 6.5months but too used to sleep several short naps in the day. I didn't realise until someone told me that babies have a 40min sleep cycle, so once he woke up I got him out & just started playing with him....though found he got grump really soon & was back down for another nap. This made it hard to get anything done & was for ever up & down etc. I just found I needed to help him through the sleep cycle, & still sometimes have to now. I would re-wrap him, or pop dummy in...no eye contact & walk straight out again. If he cried heaps then he wanted to get up, otherwise I'd let him grumble a bit & he'd go back off to sleep. But as you said each bubs is different, as she gets more active you might find she sleeps longer...I also use music as that too can soothe them through a sleep clycle. HTH.

Fiona - i had exactly the same problem with DS. I starting doing what Fiona does - in putting back in dummy, not talking or patting (he thought i was coming to play). He would usually grizzle for a little while and then go back to sleep. I also spent a bit of time in his room sitting out of his line of sight and listening to his different cries and watching what he was doing. I found he actually wasnt crying as such, just grizzling and it made me more confident to allow him to cry for a short period of time knowing he wasnt in any distress. He now sleeps for about 2 hours at a time. When he was only sleeping 40 mins, and i was getting him up, i too thought he was happy when awake but i now see a big difference in him - he is much happier and settled.
    I also play the PeaceBaby cd in his room while he is asleep to block out any outside noise etc. I also put him down awake - previously was waiting until he fell asleep in my arms. And watching very carefully learning his 'tired' signs. Gosh this all sounds like he is science project, doesn't it! Good luck - i got heaps of advice off girls on this site and they made me much more sure about what i was doing
    Last edited by mrscricket; October 25th, 2007 at 09:10 PM.

thank you ladies - I did let her grizzle after 45 mins yesterday and she slept for 2 hours but then only for an hour later so I'm kinda reaching the conclusion that she only likes 3 hours day sleeps in total. But I definitely need to move more towards putting her down when she's awake - at the moment I compromise and wait till her little eyes are closing. You're right mrsdaisy it is like a science project!