Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toddlers Waking Early ??

Question Toddlers Waking Early ??

If this is in the wrong place moderators feel free to move it where it should go.
    OK as some of you already know i have identical twin daughters who are nearly 2. The twins have always slept really well. Started sleeping through at 3 months and up until a week ago slept from 830pm until 730am. About a week ago the twins started waking up at 630am and sometimes earlier they havent slept past 630am and i dont know what to do i thought it maybe teeth so ive given then panadol. Then thought they may need to go to bed later, tried this and still woke early, tried taking them for a walk to tire them out, still woke early. I have no idea why they keep doing this and its driving me nuts.... someone please help i need some suggestions on what to do or if anyone else has been through a similar situation.

mrmoo Guest

They could be natural early risers.

When I had my first two boys, the first born turned into a late riser and now as a teen he still is a later riser! He would take longer to wind down at night too. My second son is an early riser and it didn't matter what time he went to bed. Actually I couldn't even change his bedtime because he'd just fall asleep anywhere. But he'd be up at the crack of dawn. Used to drive me nuts, cause I had to stay awake for the older one until he was able to wind down enought to go to sleep. In the mornings the second son would wake so I'd put a video on for him to watch and either lay on the lounge or go back to bed. I can remember waking up to the credits of a show many times and little ds2 happily sitting their on his own, having quiet time without his big brother around to annoy him.

Anyway... that's my experience with a late riser and an early riser. Hope this helps ;-)

Thanx for that it sounds like what i do i lay next to them on the lounge while they watch cartoons

Hey Sarah,

Do Channel and Hannah wake each other? At the moment Gemma and Teagan don't and I'm hoping it stays that way. Or now is it harder for you because they are older and can annoy each other more?

hey briohny when they were younger they didnt wake each other but around the 10 and 11th month they started to wake each other. Hannahs always the one who wakes early so she then wakes chanel and i would seperate them but the would crack up even more if i seperated them cause theyve never ever been apart. oh twins....

My oldest went from sleeping in until 8:30am until he was about that age and then started waking early and has continued to do so - we just have a rule that no one out of bed befor 6am (cause thats when we get up for the day)

My son wakes up between 5:45-6:30 pretty much every day. this is fine on weekdays, but on weekends it drives me crazy.

I think he is just an early riser.

oh yeah 6.30am is definately a sleep in over here. Matilda started around 15 months waking around 5.30am and it ranges between 5.30-6.30 at the latest.

wow you poor mums its driving me mental i guess they wont change then. how do u all do it.

your a strong woman shannon i admire you.

My 4 yo step daughter has been waking up early like that since she was 2. You may have to just get used to it. We used to just welcome her into our bed and hope she got to sleep again but it that didn't work one of us would get up and start the day. These days we turn the kids channel on the tv and she watches it til she gets hungry then one of us gets up (usually me) so she can have breakfast & if possible I return to bed for a snuggle with her dad. We are lucky though - our lounge room is right across from our bedroom so it's easy to keep an eye on her without leaving bed.

mrmoo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    Embrace the bags under the eyes!!! Learn to love that haven't slept look!
    LOL... Love it!

I reckon it is just another little 'stage" they all go through......annoying & tiring though it is........Olivia, when she got to about 2, did a similar thing.......wide awake and up with the larks at 6am.........but only for a few weeks, then it went back to 7am.

It is often in connection with another change (ie a change in day sleep patterns, or a change of season........)

Charlie normally sleeps till at least 7.30am, but started waking a lot earlier when we moved his room around.......but after a week or two, went back to being a late riser.

And Lexie started doing a 5.30am wake for around 10 days, but has reverted back to a 7am wake, thank goodness........

I reckon just go with the flow, with fingers firmly crossed that it is just a 'stage'........

Hi just thought id let everyone know that after a week and a half of getting up around 530am i put the twins to bed at 9pm last night and they woke just after 7am finally. i was going insane getting up at 5am,530am,6am i was hoping it wouldnt last for ever. Dont know if i could handle that. Im not good without sleep never have been . Anyway hope they continue waking after 7am.

You must have passed it onto me. Gemma and Teagan are now waking at 5-5.30am since daylight savings ended. UUGHHH
    Although this morning they decided at 4-4.30am that something was so important to talk about. I couldn't shut them up so they had fun talking away! LOL.

oh briohny im sorry.... twins what do u do with them hey.. always talking to each other..

Emma has started getting up before 6am now too. And of course daylight savings ending has made it even worse!! She is making up for it by going down earlier & having a slightly longer day sleep though.

I'm struggilng with it too ATM. I think the best thing to do is try to get to bed earlier yourself (sounds easy hey?) & just adjust to them, it's much easier than trying to get them to readjust!!

linda its hard isnt it. but each day they are waking a little bit later today they woke at 650am. i wish i could go to bed early butim addicted to tv and theres to many good shows on tv. haha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast