Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We have our first swear word

Matryoshka Guest

Default We have our first swear word

DS has told me that he's "Pistop"

I asked him what it means and he just repeated it, and i know where he heard it (i really need to watch my mouth, you forget they hear everything i guess...)

So, he's bantering it around, shall i just ignore it and let him get it out of his system? i don't want to draw too much attention to it. Or should i try talking about it?

yep id ignore it thats what i do when DD1 comes out with f..... hell!
    Last edited by Olive; March 29th, 2009 at 04:41 PM.

My DS came out with "f*** sake" after hearing it once from me in sheer frustration (I was severely provoked). And he used it in context...eg when he dropped a toy, when I didn't do something the way he wanted me to do it. We started off ignoring it and really making sure that we were never dropping the F bomb ourselves (we aren't swearing people but we're not perfect) but that didn't stop him.

So we started saying in a very matter of fact way, no jumping up and down "no, we don't say that, we say goodness sake" and if he said it we would just emphasise "goodness sake" and within a week we never heard it again...except for once 2 days ago and he immediately corrected himself and said "goodness sake". And haven't heard it again.

LMAO - one of my brother's first words was the s-word.

I think it is a stage that all little children go through, and maybe it's too early for discipline relevant to it? I'm not sure as I am yet to be there.

Close though, DS loves the word 'Duck'... if i don't watch my mouth, I know what's next.

FWIW my memory of Childcare Education is not to reprimand; "You are Naughty", but to use the I feel statements. At his age and his level of understanding you could probably do that. "I feel ___ when you ___".

L, Mummy feels upset when you use words like that, followed by maybe you could try taking away a toy, puzzle, game that makes him upset (within reason) so he understands?

SugarDust Guest

I had my 1st swear word the other day also

it was "farken door" when HE walked into the car door and he also said "farken car" whe HE dropped a matchbox car on his foot!

I would just explain that it isn't a nice word to say!

Matryoshka Guest

Lol glad its a common stage, i was trying so hard not to laugh!

LOL, I know its hard not to laugh even though you know how naughty it is...Jayden knows when I'm about to laugh before I even start then he starts laughing, so I have to be so careful.

Phew!! Pleased I am not the only one DS is 21 months and said the F word the other day. I thought I must have been mistaken (because he refused to repeat it ) but he can clearly say truck, yuck, duck etc and the F was VERY clear.

He has said it a few times today - usually when he is frustrated or tired. I have started with some distraction and deliberate misunderstanding of "yes, we did see the truck" etc. That will be the limit until he uses it in context Cheeky monkey!! Daddy is on notice!!!!!

The best way I've found, is treating it like they've made up a word, or what they should have said was "blast off" so when he says it just say, "You mean blast off" or if they drop the F bomb I would say "Oh did you see a duck? Where is the duck?" or "Oh I love trucks, what colour is the truck?" I swear it works.

Hey well done getting to nearly 3yo!!! My DS of the same age said his first swear word nearly a year ago He picks up on what my frustrated 5yo sometimes says... mainly stemming from my 14yo DD and DH... strangely he doesn't mimic my occasional outburst... I don't use the "F" word... my swear word of choice is the occasional "S" word. But on the whole we aren't a swearing family. I actually put my foot down more about them saying OMG. DD used to say it quite a bit but lately she's calmed down a bit. 5yo still says it though to get a reaction and when my nearly 3yo hears him he now says "Don't say it! Gawd doesn't like it!!!" ROFL I hear that about 2-3 times a day.

I agree... largely ignore it... but if they start saying it in public you will have to explain that it's an ugly way to speak and that it's a bit like picking your nose; feels good but it's embarrassing to do in public. Well, that's what I tell my 5yo and it works for him! Likewise my 14yoDD.

When my DD dropped the F bomb after hearing a friend of mine say 'for f*** sake' I tried everything to get her to stop, but honestly the only thing that worked was time. After about a week she forgot all about it.

A few yrs ago when we visited my grandma she thought she heard DS say *UNT to his cousin....i am pretty sure he didn't as we don't use that type of word but i still had to reasure old gran!
    Then a couple of weeks ago i had a teacher ring me from the school cause he called someone a *ITCH in the playground, he got in alot of trouble at school over it and when i questioned why he said it he replied "they really annoyed me", i had to be serious but just felt like laughing at the same time....no idea where he heard that one from!

it could be worse. Ide just ignore it and just encourage him to say something else. My neice is 19 months and goes around saying "dad b1tch"

LOL that's funny. We're not a swearing family either.. probably the most frequently used word is crap LOL (lame I know). But DS hasn't said it yet!!

He's started preschool recently, so I'm guessing he'll pick up a few choice words soon hahaha.

haha my little brother is a good one for this - he's 9 now, but he has been doing this since he could talk - He only uses really bad words sometimes but he is always saying "fricken hell" "bloody Hell" "holy crap" ahhh doesn't seem so bad until you notice he really doesn't care who he says it to or who he says it around! He will quite loudly proclaim - "fricken hell you bloody idiot" to people anytime anywhere (he has aspergers so it kinda explains him not getting when things are inappropriate). He only drops the F & S etc Bombs when he's really cranky. We always catch him muttering it under his breath when he gets in trouble or he has to do something he doesn't wanna do. We all just try and ignore it (unless its funny of course).

Just a reminder to everyone that this thread is in the Gentle Parenting forum. Posting advice that is not in line with gentle parenting techniques will be removed and the poster infracted.

kirsty_lee Guest

DD's godparents have a 4 year old daughter. Last christmas they told her to go out and check the tree to see if santa had came. So she goes outside to see the tree and screams on the top of her lungs "holy S***" ... They chose to ignore it and it worked. I guess if you make a big deal out of it they then know that it is wrong and do it more often.

DS used to say 'for f*ckers sake' - in context too! (my bad). I just said to him "Mummy is wrong to talk like that, it doesnt sound very nice when we say those words". He stopped within a week.

I know the word shut up isnt a swear word, but I dont think it sounds very nice coming from a little kid. DS used to say it to the dog all time when he barked (again, my bad) but I taught him to say 'be quiet'. Now if I ever say shut up, I get told off by DS and told "Mummy, we dont say shut up. We say be quiet or knock it off".

We are not religious but I have taught my kids to say Oh my gosh, instead of OMG.

Just wanted to add - If you find it goes on, then maybe try talking about it in a non threatening way. There is no good yelling at a child for saying these words when all they are doing is copying what we are saying or hearing. Most of the time it is innocent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast