Thread: What is Gentle Parenting?

I'm not really sure where to post this question, as i just found the announcement from Kelly that there was a new section here.

What exactly is gentle parenting? i guess it is fairly self expalanatory, but i'm just wondering if there is a specific definition. is it just going with what the baby needs etc?

Linda, I've just seperated your question & put it in the new Gentle Parenting forum. I'm sure Kelly (or someone else) will be along shortly with a great explanation for you

thanks sarah

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Linda,

There is no set definition for Gentle Parenting - it varies wherever you go, but generally, Gentle Parenting encompasses all of the methods listed, e.g. natural birth, comforted sleeping, demand feeding, baby-led weaning, breastfeeding over 12 months, AP... I'm not saying you need to do all of them together in order to be part of the Gentle Parenting section on BB - rather it's for those parents who choose to try any of them.

Of course it doesn't involve smacking, controlled crying (or as John calls it, controlled screaming!) and things which revolve around 'training' a baby, e.g. with timed feeds or sleep training, especially from infancy. It's very baby/contact focused, with the importance on methods which form strong emotional and physical bonds.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

thanks kelly, thats pretty much what i thought but im glad to know for sure. i'll be in here for sure

katanya Guest

Great description of Gentle parenting Kelly! I am so excited about this forum, I also a member of a forum called Alternative Baby which is all about this, I am hoping some of those people might be attracted to this section too

this is definately a forum for me and mine

we love it =D>
    beckles

Can anyone recommend any books about gentle parenting?

Nic

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Sure can!

Parenting By Heart & 100 Ways To Calm the Crying, both by Pinky McKay. There are some more books coming out soon - will get the details and post them soon! Is there a specific topic you were after?
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Not so much for babies, but for toddlers & beyond, Steve Biddulph, "The Secrets of Happy Children", and "More Secrets of Happy Children"

katanya Guest

My AP bible wihich I borrowed form the ABA, was "The Baby Book" by Dr William Sears, he's a Americian Peadiactrian with 8 kids (?) and is a advocate for co-sleeping, extended breastfeeding, gentle parenting..anything by him is worth a read! I found it so reassuring especially that he and his wife have a medical background, and 2 of his children are also Peads.

Alos loved anything by Pinky Mckay.

There is a book called "3 in the bed" about co-sleeping not sure the author, haven't read it myself..

There is a book called the Continium Concept which alot of AP parents are very enthusiastic about.

I also have a book called "You are your child's first teacher" it is a Steiner based book, but is about gentle parenting ideals. EXCELLENT book!

*Yvette* Guest

I'd strongly recommend The Continuum Concept by Jean Leidloff to anyone interested in gentle parenting.

I'm also a big fan of The Secrets of Happy Children by Steve Biddulph, and as a great general birth to 5 years common sense reference, Penelope Leach, Baby and Child.

I have to say, I'm not a big fan of labelling everything and super PC language, but I suppose given the fairly open definition of 'gentle parenting' given above, it is how I'd define my approach.

I suppose to me it's a general philosophy of wanting to care for your kids in a gentle and loving way, which to me makes sense because it's what works best.

Janet Guest

I love Sarah Buckley's new book "Gentle Birth, Gentle Mothering" which is CHOCKERS with the science behind attached parenting. Try a google for "attachment parenting" which is probably the best known style but there are lots -
    TCS - taking children seriously
    NCP - non-coercive parenting
    TCC - the continuum concept
    NP - natural parenting
    AP - attachment parenting

To me, it is about recognising children's needs in an age appropriate manner and responding to them in a way which nurtures, rather than controls or seeks to make children convenient or function to an adult timetable. Having babies changes your life and that's great!

*Yvette* Guest

=D>

Thanks Janet, & love your signature quote.

Vagina vagina vagina.

Janet Guest

LOL ta

I love that you're bfing twins! Yay for you and the magic boobies!