Thread: Wonder Weeking - 12 weeks

Default Wonder Weeking - 12 weeks

For the past 1.5 weeks, Bonnie has been so cranky - it's driving me nuts. This growth spurt is only "supposed" to last a few days to a week, but I can't see any light at the end of the tunnel.

Her sleeping has gone out the window, she's waking every 45 minutes - 1 hour throughout the night. She's forgotten how to self-settle. It's quick to resettle her, but it's driving me mental having to bounce the hammock for a few minutes throughout the night.

To compound matters, she's extra clingy and only wants me, so my partner can't really help at all. She's the most screamy she's ever been.

I was always told that at 12 weeks, babies turn a corner and things get much easier, but this just isn't happening for us - she's the most trying she's ever been. I'm worried that if she's this cranky and prolonged for this wonder week, what's she going to be like at the 4 month mark!

I'm feeling isolated because I'm stuck at home, reluctant to inflict a screaming baby on the outside world. She hates her pram, and I am desperate to go for a walk. The hug-a-bub is good, but I can't really go for long walks with her in it.

I'm feeling frazzled, and I don't think I'm coping well. Any words of encouragement are welcome, or any stories from anyone else who had problems at the 12 weeks mark would make me feel a bit better.

Im sorry to hear you're having a hard time at the moment. I think the first thing to do is not to listen to anyone that says there's a certain time babies change. It's different for everyone, and having a set time in mind can cause you great upset if bub doesn't reach the goal you had set at that point. My girls were terrors (sleep wise ) for a very long time, well DD1 was up until 8 months. Before that she never ever ever slept more than 1.5 hours at a time day or night. So I kept waiting for the magic age and it never came (until 8 months for us, when I put strategies in place).
    With 2 I could see the same thing happening, so at 9 weeks after no break or no sleep we did the same (sat with her and patted her in the cot as opposed to picking up and rocking to sleep). Then at 5 months after a few months of bliss, the teeth came along with constipation and sleep was out the window.
    I guess what Im saying is there is no set time that your baby will do anything, but all the same things will improve, although I can't say when. I do recommend trying to sit beside the cot and gently pat/rock bubba with your hand. It may work, but if not maybe someone else will have ideas. I also used a hug a bub which was great for getting a bit of shut eye for Coco (not me obviously) during the day, maybe just for doing some house work if you cant' walk far with it.
    Just hang in there. by no means does cranky and clingy now mean it will get worse. I would just take each day one at a time, don't think further than the one day, and try to get some alone time, even 10 mins if possible, to revive.
    Good luck and it will pass and before you know it your bub will be toddling around getting into everything....which is totally exhausting but in a different way!!
    xoxoxo

I would have to agree with Webmegg.

Dont listen to anyone else. Your baby is going through a phase and will eventually get out if it again. At least you know that she can do it and this is only temporary.

I had a no sleeper from birth. i went to tresillian and to a sleep school in canberra and no one could really tell me why he would only sleep for 40 minutes at a time, day and night. The only way that i could get him to settle was to feed him. It got to the point where he was having almost 19feeds in 24 hours.It was horrible. in between feeds he would scream.Day and night just ran into each other.
    Everyone kept telling me. Dont worry it takes them about 3 weeks at home and they settle. then it was 3 months then it was 4 months then it was 6 months. Then it was when he starts crawling, when he starts walking and so on. Even though he is much better now he still wont sleep a full night and wakes probably every 3-4 hours in the night. So dont listen to them. Its YOUR baby and she will settle when she is ready.
    I know its frustrating believe me and the worst thing that anyone can do is to tell you how good their baby is or to say 'dont worry, she will grow out of it'
    It is a phase and just keep telling yourself that you wont be doing this for much longer. She will be sleeping through again in no time!!

Thanks guys. You know, the sleeping thing isn't getting me too stressed at the moment. It's the screaming during the day that's upsetting me. We just went out to my nephew's birthday party at the park, and the poor little thing screamed the entire time. I was trying everything to calm her and NOTHING worked. It's just scary because this is the first time in her young life that I couldn't settle her somehow (I tried swaddling, swinging, shhing, and booby)- I just had to wait for her to tire herself out from screaming.

She's sleeping now, thank god, and hopefully will wake up in a better mood. I'm worried in case she's sick, but she isn't showing any symptoms.

Clarrie,

i know exactly what you mean, i got to the point where i just wouldnt go anywhere because it just wasnt worth it!
    i was so embarrased because i thought "im a mother, i should be able to settle my child" and i felt like a failure if i couldnt. Then if someone else settled him i felt worse. Its just a horrible feeling but dont let it get you down. Go over to a girlfriends house or something. You dont have to tackle the grocery shops just yet. try to relax and remember that IT WILL GET BETTER!!

Good luck