thread: Alkaline Diet For Gestational Diabetes

♥ BellyBelly's Creator ♥
    Add BellyBelly on Facebook Follow BellyBelly On Twitter

Feb 2003
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Alkaline Diet For Gestational Diabetes

I love Dr Robert Young, his discoveries in acidification can reverse and cure many conditions. Well worth getting yourself educated about this - pick up a copy of his book, The pH Miracle if you'd like to know more... been hugely interesting!

Dr Young's Credentials

Robert O. Young, MS, D.Sc., Ph.D.

"Dr. Young may be on the threshold of a new biology, whose principle—if proven—could revolutionize the biology and medicine worlds." -- Neil Solomon, M.D., Ph.D. Former Head of Research for John Hopkins University.

Over the past two and a half decades, Robert O. Young has been widely recognized as one of the top research scientists in the world. Throughout his career, his research has been focused at the cellular level. Having a specialty in cellular nutrition, Dr. Young has devoted his life to researching the true causes of "disease," subsequently developing "The New Biology™" to help people balance their life.

In 1994, Dr. Young discovered the biological transformation of red blood cells into bacteria and bacteria to red blood cells. He has since documented several such transformations.

Dr. Young's research has been published in several noted journals, including The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine. (Sympathetic Resonance Technology, Scientific Foundations and Summary of Biologic and Clinical Studies, Dec. 2002, Vol. 8, No. 6: 835-842.) . He is the author of numerous articles (Herbal Nutrition 1988) and author and co-author of many books including: Herbal Nutritional Medications (1988), One Sickness, One Disease, One Treatment (1992), Sick and Tired (Woodland Publishing, 1995),Back to the House of Health (Woodland Publishing, 1999), The pH Miracle (Warner Books, 2002), The pH Miracle for Diabetes, (Warner Books,2003), Back to the House of Health 2, (Woodland Books, 2003) and The pH Miracle for Weight Loss(Warner Books, 2004) and The pH Miracle: Revised and Updated (Warner Books, 2010).

The pH Miracle series has sold more than 400,000 copies and has more than ˝ million copies in print as of April, 2009. The pH Miracle books have been translated into 17 languages and are gaining a widespread following internationally.

Aside from his work as an author, Dr. Young has been honored to speak at Central University for Nationalities - Beijing (below), China Women's College - Beijing, All-China Women's Federation - Beijing, Brigham Young University, Utah Valley State College, University of Minnesota, University of Hartford, Olin University, Sacred Heart University of Boston, Oxford University - U.K., Harvard University (bottom right), the University of Vienna, and the University of Victoria.

In addition, Dr. Young has been honored with an invitation to sit on the Vegetarian and Fasting Committee for NASA's earth and space missions. He also currently works with a team of research scientists at the University of Puerto Rico, as well as the Center of Diabetes in Puerto Rico, on a potential cure for Type I and Type II diabetes.

Before Dr. Young began his extensive nutritional research, his love for sports and science led him to the University of Utah—where he studied biology and business in the early 70's. There he was granted a full athletic scholarship for tennis. His team was consistently one of the top 10 in the nation. He had the experience of competing with the likes of Stan Smith, Jimmy Connors, and Roscoe Tanner.

In the 80's, following his schooling at the University of Utah, Dr. Young studied medical microbiology—training under Dr. Robert Bradford at the Bradford Research Institute in Chula Vista, California (bradfordresearchinst.org - bradfordresearchinst Resources and Information. This website is for sale!). Dr. Bradford is now a trustee and professor at Capital University in Washington, DC, where he teaches live and dry blood microscopy (Holistic Courses and Schools). Dr. Young also studied darkfield microscopy under Dr. Maria Bleker—who was the prodigy of the great late biologist, Dr. Gunther Enderlein—in Essen, Germany.

In 1993, Dr. Young received a MS in nutrition from the American College in Birmingham, Alabama. In 1995, he received his D.Sc. with emphasis in chemistry and biology. Dr. Young's doctoral dissertation was on Disseminated Intravascular Blood Coagulation and Pathological Blood Coagulation. In 1997, Dr. Young received a Ph.D. from Clayton College of Natural Health. His Professor, James E. Harvey from San Diego State University, reviewed and accepted his dissertation as completing all the requirements for a doctorate of philosophy degree in nutrition. Continuing his studies and research, Dr. Young later received an additional doctorate degree in naturopathy (ND) from Clayton College (1999). For information on the Clayton College go to Clayton College of Natural Health.

Dr. Young is a member of the Farm Bureau (Membership number C118341) as well as a recognized certified Avocado grower by the California Avocado Commission.

Dr. Young is a member of the American Society of Microbiologists, the American Naturopathic Association, an honorary member of the Connecticut Holistic Health Association, the Presidents Council at Brigham Young University, a consultant for InnerLight, Inc., and an advisor to Dean Lawrence Carter at the Martin Luther King Chapel at Morehouse College. He was honored with his wife, Shelley Redford Young, by Professor Lawrence Carter at Morehouse College and inducted into the collegium of scholars as well as placed on the advisory board. Professor Carter made this statement about Dr. Young's work:

"With eight books on the market, Dr. Robert O. Young and his wife, Shelley Redford Young, have established themselves as the preeminent scientific researchers on how to balance the body chemistry and achieve one's ideal weight. Every African American and African Caribbean, every person suffering from type I and type II diabetes, hypertension, cancer, AIDS, heart disease and youth obesity, and every person reared on 'soul food' needs to discover The pH Miracle and the rejuvenating recipes that alkalize and energize an over acidified diet.

"I have made this revolutionary dietary paradigm shift an official part of my professional ministry because it eliminated my acid reflux without prescriptions and reduced my weight by 50 pounds in less than two months. This reduction in weight greatly speeded reduction of my PSA level after seeds-implant treatment for low-grade prostate cancer. Dr. Young's nonviolent peace diet is the natural scientific solution for a healthy body that is free from the warring of excess acidity. With Dr. Young's new biology and nutrition program, pastors and congregations will rediscover the miraculous link between nutrition, health and spirituality."

---The Reverend Dean Lawrence Edward Carter Sr., Ph.D.;Martin Luther King Jr. International Chapel;Gandhi Institute for Reconciliation;Founder, Gandhi, King, Ikeda Legacy of Building Peace Exhibition;Morehouse College, Atlanta, Georgia

Dr Young has been the keynote speaker at medical and health gatherings all over the world and appeared as a guest on many national radio and television shows. In 2002, he and his wife appeared on CBS's The Early Show. Some of his most notable accomplishments include: developer of a new theoretical paradigm called the Mycozymian Theory; pioneer in the research of a biological process called Pleomorphism; and the discoverer of the etiology of diabetes, cancer, atherosclerosis, and many other diseases.

Dr. Robert Young has devoted his career to the discovery of the missing pieces necessary to complete the larger picture of health.
    Last edited by BellyBelly; May 20th, 2012 at 07:22 PM.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    In 2015 I went Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team

Jan 2009
    pakenham, victoria

Huzaah!!!! i shall be cured, who'd have thought it would be so simple hey?

♥ BellyBelly's Creator ♥

Feb 2003

An alkaline diet isn't that easy to stick to for most people, you have to be committed to it, when you look at the list of things that acidify your body, its everyday food for most people. Caffeine, sugar, alcohol, processed wheat products (which is the cause of lots of health problems in general), dairy etc. I stopped getting acid reflux and burning in my belly on the alkaline diet within a week and I am in my third trimester of pregnancy, when you're likely to get it while everything is so squished up. I don't have a perfect alkaline diet, but its much more alkaline than it used to be and I feel SO much better for it. A persistent bladder infection stopped too, had three courses of antibiotics this pregnancy - all gone now though
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Life Subscriber

Nov 2005
    Langwarrin. Victoria

You and me both skybie! Gees if only I'd known this 33yrs ago!

♥ BellyBelly's Creator ♥

Feb 2003

Ah well, you can only offer options and things to try, but people tend to make their mind up without giving things a go! Much easier to make fun of things. Did you see the before and after pathology results they showed?

We already know diet is key in diabetes and given the whole concept of GD, I think its a credible solution when facing the alternative.
    Last edited by BellyBelly; May 20th, 2012 at 07:56 PM.
    Kelly xx

Mar 2004
    Sparta

Interesting that his blurb doesn't mention the criminal charges he's faced and I don't think that someone with a PhD from a non-accredited college can rightfully call themselves a Doctor.

BellyBelly Life Subscriber

Nov 2005
    Langwarrin. Victoria

I wonder why the incidence of type1 auto immune diabetes remains fairly steady across population groups then? Regardless of whether they are so called western modern societies or more traditional third world type races type 1 diabetes occurs at pretty much the same rate....you'd think in a more traditional environment where they naturally follow a more alkaline diet that there would be a lower incidence to start with

♥ BellyBelly's Creator ♥

Feb 2003

He is not the only person who is an expert on the alkaline diet. I'm not sure of his criminal charges but I know even midwives who have been criminally charged or investigated especially homebirth supporting midwives (witchcraft surely!). Okay, just looked this up and found:

In 1995, Young allegedly drew blood from two women, told them they were ill, and then sold them herbal products to treat these illnesses. He was charged with two third-degree felony counts of practicing medicine without a license, but pled guilty to a reduced misdemeanor charge.[9][20] Young argued that he had never claimed to be a medical doctor, that the women had entrapped him by asking to be part of his research, and that he "looked at the women's blood and simply gave them some nutritional advice."[9]

In 2001, Young was again charged with a felony in Utah, after a cancer patient alleged that Young told her to stop chemotherapy and to substitute one of his products to treat her cancer. Subsequently, when an undercover agent visited Young, he allegedly analyzed her blood and prescribed a liquid diet. The case was taken to preliminary trial, but charges were dropped after the prosecutor stated that he could not find enough people who felt cheated by Young.[24] Young dismissed the arrests as "harassment" and stated that he moved to California because the legal climate there was more tolerant.[20]
    Most people don't know that when you have a mammogram, the radiation can actually increase your chances of breast cancer and at a higher rate if you have a genetic predisposition or are high risk. Dr Young's area of expertise is cell health, its all about the cells as all we are is a bunch of cells. Energy. So if those cells are damaged or die, then its going to effect our health. There was some study by a Nobel prize winner where he was able to keep a chicken cell alive for something ridiculous like 20+ years, because they kept the cell in an ideal environment. But we have such an unhealthy lifestyle that our cells just don't last that long.

The foods that Dr Young recommends are great foods, they are recommended by many experts individually or several, but I have no doubts that his diet plan can fix many health problems. Maybe it wont fix your type 1 diabetes but it sure will fix many other things. I'd never tell anyone to give up treatment for anything, but definitely put to someone to actually try this and see what happens, then see what their views are. You only need to google to find many people talk about how the alkaline diet has cured a range of issues for them, from colitis to chronic fatigue and more. And you'll also find that many people who have been living the alkaline diet for a long time, look half their age and triple the energy of their age groups. The people I have met have been oozing energy, youth and wellbeing. Its just common sense. It seems anyone seen to stand in the way of a pharmaceutical remedy for anything is in the line of fire and discrediting. You just need to see it for yourself. I am not an Obstetrician, nor a midwife but women choose to take advice from me every single day (that may not be the same as their medical doctor) and have great outcomes as a result. I should be arrested too!

Who would have thought breastfeeding would reduce SIDS by 50%... bet I would have gotten a bolloxing if I would have posted such a claim before last week when SIDS announced it... even though studies have been around since 1991.
    Last edited by BellyBelly; May 21st, 2012 at 08:02 AM.
    Kelly xx

Oct 2009
    Bonbeach, Melbourne

Off topic, but I thought, as breastfeeding is the biological norm, and (unfortunately) SIDS is something that randomly occurs without a known cause, that breastfeeding did squat to *prevent* anything, and that formula actually increased the risk? Or has that been proven untrue recently?

♥ BellyBelly's Creator ♥

Feb 2003

What food and drink is the biological norm? Certainly not coffee, coke, cake, chips, sugary fruit juice, pesticides...
    Kelly xx

♥ BellyBelly's Creator ♥

Feb 2003

Sorry re-read that, a bit scattered this morning as charming DD10 has been in a lovely, agreeable mood. You're right, formula increases the risk, bf reduces nothing. Look out, here comes a whole new battle lol
    Kelly xx

Mar 2004
    Sparta

What food and drink is the biological norm? Certainly not coffee, coke, cake, chips, sugary fruit juice, pesticides...
    Anyone who substitutes whole foods for processed foods will be healthier - that's a no brainer. It's not a special diet it's just eating normal food.

My SIL has joined the alkaline diet fad and her diet list cracks me up. Apparently lemon and lime are alkaline...

Jun 2005
    USA

I'm glad to see lemon and lime are alkaline at least, because a diet without acid isn't healthy. Just as any "extreme" diet isn't healthy. We need acidic foods in order to help our body digest. We eat all whole foods and I agree with Onyx that that is basically the crux to all healing. The GAPS diet also heals diabetes.

♥ BellyBelly's Creator ♥

Feb 2003

Lemon and lime are acidic, once consumed they are alkaline forming. Like meow said, its a weak acid, but the nutrients make it alkaline. Meow - the alkaline diet isn't about consuming 100% alkaline foods. Its about balancing about 70% alkaline and 30% acid. If people wrote up what they ate and drank in a day, for most it would be opposite way around!

If anyone is into science (i'm not, lol), maybe this will make more sense to you:

There has a great difference in the answer if we consider the question under views of chemistry or nutritional science. So, lemon is acidic or alkaline? It commonly believes that lemon is acidic because it's sour in taste. However, in the view of nutritional science, lemon is an alkaline food.

Why? The answer is simple as when we take in the food, it will become alkaline. That's why we classify it as an alkaline food. For example, when we take in lemon juice (wow.. so sour! :P), It'll be oxidize to form water, carbon dioxide and an inorganic compound. The alkaline or acidic nature of the inorganic compound formed determines whether the food is an alkaline or acidic.

If it contains more sodium, potassium or calcium, it'll become an alkaline food. Because when sodium compounds dissolve in water, it forms an alkaline solution.

Na2CO3 + H2O ---> 2NaHCO3
    HCO3- + H2O ---> H2CO3 + OH-
    2(Na+)2O22- + 2H2O ---> 4Na+OH- + O2

You may doubt, where comes the NaCO3 & 2(Na+)2O22-?.. ha ha.. :-)

Ok, just recall your memories with Junior forms biology. The food you ingest, no matter that's chicken leg or french fries. It burns!!!

Of coz a fire won't be set, instead, a series of complex chemical oxidation process will take place. It's similar to an simple experiment by,

1. heating the food to burn out all of the organic matters.

2. dissolving the ash

3. test it with limus.

In contract, if it contains more sulphur, phosphate or chloride, it forms an acid food.
    Last edited by BellyBelly; May 21st, 2012 at 10:53 AM.
    Kelly xx

♥ BellyBelly's Creator ♥

Feb 2003

Here's a snippet from one of his books, the pH Miracle, which I don't know if it will help or hinder if the basics of acid and alkaline in the body aren't understood:

"Low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) and high blood sugar (diabetes) - which are really just low energy and high acidity - are rampant today and devastate a lot of lives. They both stem from - surprise! - dietary and metabolic acid and microform overgrowth.

Most people do not realise that the sugar is not a source of energy but an acidic waste product from the breakdown of body cells. The more sugar or acid we eat, the more we risk an increase in bacteria, yeast and moulds. Their mycotoxins and exotoxins penetrate, overwork and poison the pancreas, liver and adrenal glands (among others).

For example, pancreatic cells are directly poisoned and destroyed by the myotoxin alloxan. The pancreas produces not only alkalizing buffers - sodium bicarbonate - for alkalising the foods we eat, but also insulin, the alkalising hormone that controls the blood sugar acid. A deficiency in alkaline compounds such as sodium and potassium bicarbonate and insulin leads to hyperglycemia or the high-acidity disease called diabetes.

Bacteria and yeast also feed on our electron energy resources and can cause energy deficiencies. Blood glucose is blood acid and is increased with an acidic lifestyle and diet, which can give rise to bacteria and yeast and more metabolic acids.

People with diabetes have low or normal blood sugar levels when their pH (measured in urine) is up (alkaline, over 7.2) - and high blood sugar levels when their pH is down (acidic, below 7.2).

Type 2 diabetes is the natural physiological and metabolic result of consuming large quantities of sugars, refined carbohydrates and meat proteins, especially without engaging in regular physical exercise (which could help compensate for such dietary practices).

... what that means, amongst other things, is that the solution is quite straightforward: cut out all forms of sugar, eliminate animal proteins and get regular exercise."
    Kelly xx

Jun 2005
    USA

Having been vegetarian and now converted to an omnivore diet I feel quite strongly that animal protein is healthy, or else I wouldn't be doing this! I think you would be doing your health a disservice to cut out animal protein. Do you keep in animal fats?

Jul 2008
    summer street

I find this interesting for people suffering systemic candida too. When mine was really bad, I felt acidic in my very blood and I felt my urine was so, so acidic. Now I don't have that feeling, since I've changed my diet completely, to no sugar or processed food, or wheat. I am on a loose version of the anticandida, so I still have black tea and decaf coffee and dairy, but otherwise it's pretty restricted to just whole foods, legumes, veg and meat. It's amazing the comments I've had about my hair and skin since the change. I am also a healthy weight (I am heavier slightly than before kids) without trying, nor do I look skinny and stressed like I used to.

A diet overhaul is beneficial for the whole family!

♥ BellyBelly's Creator ♥

Feb 2003

While you're trying to fix or correct something they suggest you focus more on the alkaline than normal then you can reduce as you balance out, but I do incorporate some meat protein and egg into my diet - just load up the meals with alkaline foods to balance it out as best I can. The meals are mostly salad/veg though with the side bit of meat opposed to the protein and carbs with a side bit of veg. For example I might have grilled chicken on my salad one day, fish another, but its loaded up with lots of other things like avocado, tomato, salad leaves, dressed with lemon juice, himalayan salt and its yummo and very filling. We make veggie soups at night where we can, we love soups here. If we have meat protein we aim for eating it at lunch, and only once a day. The meat ideally is organic and all that, out here in the country there isn't much choice sadly - there's not even a fruit and veg shop, only Coles and Safeway. But we do what we can. Even with making small changes, you do notice a huge difference. I did a full on 10 day alkaline diet last year, and before I had even finished the end of it, all my friends were noticing I had lost weight, my eyes were a sparkling blue and my skin was baby soft (which people normally comment on anyway, but it was super soft).

I'm a bit more lax with it now that I am pregnant, but I am definitely eating much better than I have in the past and with both previous pregnancies - and I have put on much less weight this time by far. You can get protein from so many other sources though and I do love chia seeds on pretty much everything! Luckily I am craving and devouring avocado and tomato (sprinkle chia seeds all over it on a small piece or two of rice chia bread) which are both very alkaline - have been craving cherry tomatoes for ages, so I know its great for my body.
    Last edited by BellyBelly; May 21st, 2012 at 01:15 PM.
    Kelly xx