Thread: Diabetic Diet

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

Default Diabetic Diet

I went for my 19 week u/s two days ago and the u/s dr measured bub at 22- 23 weeks. He asked if I could have conceived earlier than I thought, but being an IVF patient, of course this was impossible. He then commented that bub was going to be big.

I then went to see my obgyn yesterday and while I didn’t show any sugar in my urine, he measured the fundal height (well above my belly button) and remarked that it was shaping up to be a big baby. He then sat me down and said that he would like me to adopt a diabetic diet between now and the end of my pg to try to control the rate of bub’s growth.

He is scheduling a GD test for my 29th week, but thinks it’s just as likely that I don’t have GD.

Zaki was 8lb 1ounce and I delivered him naturally. Dr says that if baby continues at this rate, the not-so little’un will likely be bigger than that, and I may not be able to deliver vaginally.

My question is, what is a diabetic diet? He told me to restrict myself to complex carbos, no simple sugars and low fat, but DH is now becoming a sugar nazi and is nixing most foods. There are already so many things I can’t eat being pg, and would appreciate any practical advice as to what sort of foods I can eat.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

love
    sushee

I would think if you stuck to low fat/low GI you should be fine. As far as I know that is what they suggest for diabetics these days.

There's lot's of information on the net about Low GI.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

sushee, this happens _ALL THE TIME_!!! I am so frustrated with hearing this, women being told they can't birth their *HUGE* babies because their fundal height is more than how many weeks they are.

Lucy can tell you this exact same story. Her Ob wanted her induced as she had "a huge baby" and high fundal height - but Charlie was tiny!!! It's VERY frustrating and I know you can birth this baby. It is very common that those with GD are induced or told their baby will be huge but this is not always the case - often little babies are born and mum thinks, wow, my Ob saved me / my baby but they don't realise how wrong in their judgement they were.

Trust your body, trust your baby - women birth 10-11lb babies without tearing and I am sure you are well and truly capable of that too. Don't be bullied into induction, eat a healthy, well balanced diet just like the healthy food pyramid and unless you show test results that you have diabetes I dont see why you should diet just to curb baby's growth. That is atrocious. Babies grow based on their own genetics, or course some are bigger and smaller than average - without big and small babies you don't have an average.

And for the record, there was a study in the 1970's where medical professionals had to gesstimate the weight of a baby before it was born. ALL got it wrong and the ones who guessed closest was the midwives.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

Kelly,

you just voiced so many of the things I was thinking! Like if I'm eating well and not over-indulging, have not gained too much weight - only 4 kgs so far from pre-pg - and even Dr says it's likely I don't have GD, why am I being asked to change the way I eat to try and stop bub's growth?

Especially since I completely believe that bub will get whatever nutriients it needs from me to grow, and if it's a big baby, it's coz it's meant to be! Even Dr said that despite a diabetic diet, I may be predisposed to big babies anyway, seeing how Zaki was 8lb 1 ounce, and that it's just as possible that no diet will change that.

I figure I had Zaki normally, and if I don't have GD, than it seems starnge that my body would give me a baby that's bigger than I could deliver.

I think you're right and wil be talking to DH tonight about my concerns. I exercise well (at least an hours walk a day) and eat well. I really don't think this should be so difficult, nor do I want to deprive my baby! In fact, I feel great, so I can't be doing much wrong, surely!

love
    sushee

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Sounds like you are doing all the right things Sush, good on you hon. Heck, I never even walked for 30 mins once a week during my pregnancy! I did no exercise at all due to sacro-iliac (lower back) problems and I had small babies! I wouldn't be to happy with what my doctor if he was telling me that! You know you can always get a second opinion if you want it. Marisa was 6lbs 10oz and Elijah was 5lbs 15oz - so you may even find you have a smaller baby yet - after being told all this time how huge things seem. It's crazy.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Sushee
    There are a lot of things that Influence the fundal hight.
    Position of the baby.
    Amount of fluid.
    The skill of the person doing the measuring.
    Nut you it could also mean that you do have a big baby on board.
    However, last week at the hospital where I work we had a woman deliver a 10lb 6oz baby vaginally. She did have a small tear that needed a couple of stitches.
    Listen to your own body it will know what is right for you.
    However a diabetic diet ( he probably means low GI diet) is a good idea for all of us.

Alan (Midwife)

Melinda Guest

Sushee,

From 23w onwards, I was measuring between 3 - 4w ahead with Jacob. The OB estimated his birth weight to be around 9lb. He was born at almost 41w gestation, weighing 8lb 6oz.

Not once did the OB say to me that I needed to go onto a special diet in order to curb Jacob's growth, nor did he imply that I could not deliver vaginally (as it happened, I didn't, but that's another story!).

From what I can understand, the main thing is that the baby continues to grow and thrive in utero.......whether they are estimated to be big or small (extra emphasis on the word "estimated"!) isn't really a good reason for any special kind of diet unless there are other medical reasons (such as gestational diabetes)?

Just my thoughts anyway Sush!! I thought I'd share with you.......

kerry Guest

Ok I agree with everyone here.

I have followed a low GI (diabetic) diet on and off for the past 3 years... first it was after my chemo, then it was when I lost 61kg when I decided I needed a lifestyle change... then I slacked off but I still followed a lot of the principles. basically low GI isn't low carb or depriving the body of anything, it is just eating ealthier options.

Anyway.. if you wanted to incorperate a few low carb meals or ideas into your normal diet (which sounds great anyway) there is a thread on it in the recipe section. There are some nice recipies and I have found the everyone eats low gi meals and has no issues with them.

But from experience let me just tell you that Doctors are not Gods, they are men and women who have a very expensive piece of paper, an extra 6+ years of schooling and understand big long latin words which are really only used to confuse everyone ele and let them think they are better than us! Doctors get things wrong all the time, never be afraid to get another opinion or even to follow your own gut instinct, many a persons life has been saved by instinct alone.

Hi sushee,

I was told Declan was going to be macrosomic all through my pregnancy and I was HUGE .. everyone asking if I was having twins etc - which I wasnt then!

He turned out to be a "normal" 8lb 11oz (large but not macrosomic) I have been on a strict low GI diet and insulin for the last trimester.

This time around I am having twins.. got GD at 7 weeks and have been on low GI before and during the pregnancy. Honestly I feel healthier when I eat low GI and have better stamina.

Goodluck and dont fret over the size thing!!
    My grandma gave birth to a 14lb baby with no anisthetic and was 42! (no she didnt have GD)

I always remind myself women have been doing this for hundreds of thousands of yrs when I get worried.

kaety

skyelar Guest

Hi Sushee,

I measured big towards the end of my pregnancy. I only put on 12kgs all up. My ob said baby was 'a good healthy size'. I was induced as my BP was going up & up. I said I was 41 weeks , he said 40 weeks ](*,)

Anyway, long story short I delivered a beautiful 4320 kg (9pd 8.5oz) baby girl, head circumference 38cm naturally after 5 hours!
    Not bad for a first timer

We are currently TTC again & my Dr has recommended a low GI diet to help me out with a smaller babe, but having said that I thought my labour was great with no epi or pethadine, just a few sucks of the gas

Good luck!
    Skye