Thread: GD & Induction

Default GD & Induction

Hello

Just a query to anyone who has suffered/ing GD...

Did you get induced? If so, when?

I am a little worried as my GD was only picked up at 36 weeks (and my current scores are a little all over the place) and my doctor doesnt seem to be concerned....

How should I go about approaching it with him?

Sooz,
    I had GD and obst wasnt all that concerned with my BSL that were horrendously high. I decided at the last minute to have Eliza by c-sect as it workend for us. At 37 weeks Eliza weighed 8pd 8 so letting me go any further without induction was looking at risking bubs and me on the size value ( not saying that people cant birth big babies).They may send you for an additional ultrasound to get an indication of size
    Eliza BSL were perfect on birth alittle jaundice and extremley macrosonic that made the paed tell me that It looked like I hadnt tried to control diabetes.
    I hope your last few weeks are smooth sailing
    Bec

Hi Sooz

If your GD was only picked up at 36 weks and you had all the usual tests during your pregnancy then it sounds like you may have developed GD late in pregnancy and should nor really cause you or your baby any problems

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Check out our induction article here: http://www.bellybelly.com.au/article...-or-not-induce which discusses GD & induction, as well as induction processes in general.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

Hiya

My diabetes was picked up at 26 weeks. It was controlled very well, BSL's mostly perfect, i was on insulan as diet alone didnt seem to help.

I had growth scans every 2 weeks- bubs was measuring about 4 weeks ahead all the time and the scans were telling us she was about 4kg at 36 weeks. We ended up having a c-section at 38 weeks due to concern over her size.

She was 8lb14, very fat/swollen, but her BSL's were fine. She was in special care for 3 nights as i couldnt feed her and they wanted to monitor her a bit longer (she had some minor feeding issues). She was also very jaundice.

While the c-section was amazingly scary, i would not change the way we did things and believe we made the right choices with the information we were given, even tho she turned out to be a good size and not huge at all. We all know that the scans can be wrong when it comes to how big the bub is, but i just wasnt willing to take the chance.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Yes it is so hard to make a decision which is based on the information we are given.

I've actually just posted some information for future reference where ACOG (American College Obs/Gyns) has concluded as a result of many studies that "Based on data from observational studies, labor induction for suspected fetal macrosomia results in an increased cesarean delivery rate without improving perinatal outcomes."

They also commented that those who did have a spontaneous vaginal birth had no adverse outcomes "No differences were noted in rates of operative vaginal deliveries, incidence of shoulder dystocia, or abnormal Apgar scores in the analyses of the observational or randomized studies."

You can read full details here - http://bellybelly.com.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23468

So just makes you realise that all the hype is not in a mother's or baby's best interest - and this study was from way back in 2002 - are they actually listening?!
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know