Thread: GD and ketones

Default GD and ketones

Hi I had GD in all my pregnancy's needed insulin on last two and last time I was on 5 injections by 24 weeks, I was told before getting pregnant this time I am impaired glucose tolerant.

so doctor had me on diet and doing random checks on my blood sugars, I had a GTT at 11 weeks that came back fine well it was weird at the two hour mark I got 8.8 on my monitor and bloods came back 6 ( I always thought monitor always measured lower so you would treat hypos sooner)

any way I have noticed my blood sugars have increased the last 3 weeks fasting all around the 6.4 upwards lower at lunch but after meals anything from 8.3 to 11.4

so I went to my GP who has booked me in for another GTT and also checked my urine and I was spilling ketones and sugar.

are ketones as bad when you have GD I was wondering why we get them!

niamh, omg iam sooo happy to see you huni....many congrats on the pregnancy huni. missed you xox
    i did a google search and this explains it abit. xxx http://www.plus-size-pregnancy.org/gd/gd_ketones.htm

AHHHH Thank you Its been ages LOL Thanks for the link I am going to have a read now

how are you and the kids. how is your darling princess? i remember you being pregnant with her and now your having another precious bundle. i hope your doing ok huni and you can get you blood sugars somewhat under control, its no fun at all. I had problems for years with my BS going sky high and plummeting. It still happens but iv been told mine is caused by my PCOS. xxx

Not sure about if its different with GD as opposed to Type 1, but I know whenever my sister was showing ketones she had to go to the doc/hospital pretty quick. Something about the kidneys not filtering properly? I'd get it checked ASAP hun, eve just to be safe - maybe call your Health Direct number?

Diabetes is caused by the cells of your body not responding to insulin and therefore not absorbing sugar. As a result you end up with a lot of sugar in your blood, but none in your cells, and they basically start to starve.

When cells need energy and they can't get it from sugar, they to into starvation mode and start breaking down fat for energy instead. One of the by products of fat breakdown is ketones, and when you start producing ketones, it is a sign that your diabetes is not well controlled.

Thanks Keike and Schmickers I have tried ringing the hospital and they told me they could do nothing as they did not have my details in front of them, so told me to ring my doctor and get a referal to the clinic that sits once a week were I live, (which I thought was mad as I am already booked in with the hospital) any way my doctor did not seem worried she said if they are 20 then we worry! I personally think if they got that high I will go mad as thats very bad for the baby! any way the most I could get was a GTT tomorrow and she is writing a letter for the diabetic doctor to see me at some stage a bit back wards I think. very fustrating she asked me was I eating enough or drinking enough water I was with her about an hour and a half after my lunch and had drank loads of water. so to me the ketones are a sign GD is getting a bit our of control.

rachel The kids are great, Shane my youngest boy just started school and he loves it, so just Eireann and I at home she is 2 now and very cute rules the boys LOL how are you getting on! I have heard POCS can cause that all right hormones eh!
    Have you ever tried MACA to blance them I took it this time as I think I was messed up

Schmickers got it in one hun.
    What monitor do u have? the silver and black optium exeed monitor also check ketone levels, u can go to the chemist and buy a box of ketone strips (theyre purple) and test.
    Anything over .7 is cause for hospitalisation.
    Good luck let us know how u go

I have the Accu - chek aviva I was thinking of getting the urine strips to keep an eye on them, if they are because sugars are to high then they should get sorted soon I hope.

I have my GTT today and was checking my old book from last pregnancy were I kept a record of blood sugars when I first started on insulin and my sugars were much lower mental!

PS im starving and soooo thirsty LOL