Thread: Gestational Diabetes

Default Gestational Diabetes

Okay ladies, hit me with it - everything you know about GD!

Just got my GCT back today & have to have the GTT next week. Sooo I want to learn as much as I possibly can about GD, in case I have it.

I'm not really fussed about having to change my diet, but am totally freaked out about how it can affect my little munchkin. Honestly I know nothing about it other than you have to cut out eating sugar - sorry, was a naive & never expected it to happen.

So pleeeeease can you guys hit me with whatever you know. Kelli D I have checked out your posts from when pregnant with both of your kids & have found that info quite helpful already, I just need more, especially on the effects GD has on the baby.

TIA.

Ok sarah here's what I have...
    GD is caused by normal changes to your metabolism that promote foetal growth. A pg hormone (HPL) diminishes the effects of insulin. Treatment is usually a special diet, regular exercise and, in some cases insulin injections. Labour may be induced near term (this occured with one of my sisters two pg's) if excessive growth of bub is suspected or is placental circulation appears affected by GD.
    Management of GD may reduce the risks of problems for the baby, such as, an overly large baby, hypoglycaemia, newborn jaundice and delayed lung development.

I hope that helps and isn't to scary for you

Tanya

Hey Sarah,

I don't really know anything about GD, but I just wanted to wish you lots of luck for the test next week. Hope it all comes back normal!

All the best.

Sarah - I don`t know anything about GD but I want to wish you the best for next week and hopefully everything will be fine.

Take Care

Deeanne

Sarah - With Alex, my first test came back elevated (9.7 I think).

So I went and had the fasting test, which came back high but normal.

Apparently it all depends on what you've been eating and drinking for like three days beforehand. And with the first one, I was a little naughty.

So best wishes, the stuff tastes AWFUL, but it's all necessary.

sarah

please pm me if you want any further info. i've been through it twice so far and on my way there again.

best wishes

Kelli if I do have any issues after the next test I'll definately PM you, thanks so much for the offer.

Sarah,

I am on my second time round with GD and this time its quite severe. Probably due to carrying twins - I got it at 7 weeks and I have to inject 5 times a day and eat low GI diet!
    KelliD is a wealth of information and helped me through my first pregnancy and the freaking out that came with the GD.
    However feel free to PM me or post me in on any questions you might have.

Declan was just fine when he was born and I didnt have diabetes after birth until I conceived again so it isnt a life sentence it just increases your diabetes risk later.. which can be managed or avoided by diet changes and healthy living !

Take care

kaety

Hi Sarah

When you have gestational diabetes, your pancreas works overtime to produce insulin, Insulin does not lower your blood glucose levels it helps your body to yse the insulin which is needed for energy. Insulin does not cross the placenta, but glucose and other nutrients do. So extra blood glucose goes through the placenta, giving the baby high blood glucose levels. This causes the baby's pancreas to make extra insulin to get rid of the blood glucose. Since the baby is getting more energy than it needs to grow and develop, the extra energy is stored as fat. This can lead to having a big baby. Big babies face health problems of their own, including damage to their shoulders during birth. Because of the extra insulin made by the baby's pancreas, newborns may have very low blood glucose levels at birth and are also at higher risk for breathing problems and jaundice. Babies with excess insulin become children who are at risk for obesity and adults who are at risk for type 2 diabetes.

If you need any more info let me know.