Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Gestational Diabetes General Chatter #2

Jess, how are your fasting readings going in the mornings? Are they up or about the same as when you were diagnosed? I found that the further along in the pregnancy I got, some of my readings started to creep up. Just this week a Lean Cuisine with rice in it, which hasn't put my BS up before, sent it above the 7. Think I am going to have to adjust my insulin dose and avoid that particular meal. Might have to cut out all rice all together, including the basmati.
    Keep an eye on it and if any concerns call the Dr. Readings going up or down for no reason can be a worry as it means the placenta might not be working properly.
    Let us know how you go.

My fasting readings are usually around 5.1-5.3 so still below but kinda high. Thats been constant. I love my cereal in the morning but I'm going to try something else on the weekend to see if that makes a difference. I've already had two omelettes this week for lunch, is there a problem with too many eggs in a week or anything because they're so easy I to make I love them.
    Also the mornings is when I have the biggest problem with my blood pressure being low, yesterday they checked at my appointment and it was 96/58. So I tend to be most sedentary in the AM. I figure it probably all impacts somewhat.
    If it keeps going this way I guess they'll put me on insulin for the mornings?

Experiment a bit with breakfast cereals, or try something completely different, like porridge - made from oats not the prepacked packets. COuld also try something with protein maybe some scrambled eggs? I don't think you can overdose on eggs, maybe get sick of them I suppose. DO you measure how much cereal you have in the mornings? COuld your portions be getting bigger? If you can't control the morning reading, then yes, it is probably likely you will have to start jabbing yourself just before you eat breaky.

Well girls, i went to see the diabetes educator yesterday and what a waste of time!!! I went in there knowing the diabetes doctor said I needed to go onto insulin and then she said no we don't need to put you onto insulin just yet, but possibly in the next few weeks. I am just like 'what the?' and then she said I have to make sure I have carbs included in every meal. For me to have carbs like rice, bread etc at every meal will make me look like a bloated whale. So, instead I am just going to rely on carbs in fruit and yoghurt etc..... Seriously, I am not upping my carb intake, it is just crazy...... I said that will increase my blood sugar readings as well by doing that.... She said well if that is the case then we will need to put you on insulin. What is the point of doing that, if I can control it in my diet instead of going on insulin. It is almost like they want pregnant women to go on insulin!!!

What do you girls normally have at lunch? I sometimes have chicken and salad and she said I need to include some carbs in that, possibly bread..... My fasting levels are always below 5.0 and my reading after breakfast is usually around mid 5's as well. Lunch I always end up with late 6's or early 7's and dinner is always around late 6's.....

Shell xxx

I try and include some carbs in my meals, simply because I find myself having a hypo (very low blood sugar) if I don't. The low GI white bread seems to be OK in small doses. The educator is right about the carbs though. They help you feel fuller for longer and give your body the extra calories and enrgy it needs to make a baby. BY saying this, I mean the right carbos. I can't eat potato or rice, but the low GI bread and pasta seem to be OK and really do help. I am a carbo junkie though and would go crazy if I couldn't eat them.

New thread time ladies

Love

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789