Thread: Gestational Diabetes going away?

1stTimeMum Guest

Exclamation Gestational Diabetes going away?

Hi all. I am hoping someone can help me.
    I was diagnosed with GD at 32 weeks gestation and am currently 38 weeks. I have controlled this with diet and exercise. My original knowledge of the condition was that it goes away after the baby is born. However, I have recently heard (briefly) that the condition does not go away after birth. I do understand that you have a higher chance of getting Type 2 Diabetes within 10 years, however I thought your diabetes went away as soon as the baby is born. I am very nervous about having to accept this condition as permanent. Can someone lighten me on this situation? Thankyou.

No, it does go away. I have been told this by the GD clinic, OBS & Midwife that once the placenta is removed that it goes away. You have to be tested approx. 6 weeks after giving birth as you have a higher chance of getting type 2 diabetes. They then test you annually for type 2 diabetes after that.

I have had GD with all 3 of my pregnancies and apparently i have it already now,,

I was borderline with my first but was on insulin with baby 2 and 3.. My diabetes went away the day I gave birth.. I didn't even need to have my bood sugars tested after 24 hrs They test you for 24hrs after the birth..

I just recently found out I was pregnant again and a blood test showed my sugar levels are already on the rise. The Dr isn't sure if I have developed diabetes or if Gd has started early. I think it is just starting early as i had no symptoms of it till the past 2 weeks..

Anyways I think the risk if developing Type 2 later in life is higher but if you exercise and watch your diet the risk is lower.. I was told around my 40's and 50's is when I may develop it if I don't take care of myself

hope that helps

It does go away, but you have a high risk of getting it later in life... so if you are over weight or eat badly, you should try to change that asap to reduce your risk of getting it later.

As others have said it does go away as soon as the baby is born - usually within about 24 hours.
    I've had it twice and both times gone as soon as the baby comes.
    It does increase your risk of type 2 diabetes later in life though so you'll probably need to have a GTT every few years as you get older to keep an eye out.

1stTimeMum Guest

Thankyou so much to everyone that replied. It is so reassuring to know people that are going through the same thing.

Gracia Guest

Best Answer - Chosen By Voters

I had gestational diabetes during my pregnancy, but luckily through regular monitoring and stringent attention to diet I was able to stay off insulin. Some people just have more problems with keeping blood sugars regular during pregnancy than others, little wonder with all the hormones. You can definitely expect to have a big baby, maybe even over 10 pounds. At that size your doctor may give you the option of having the baby by Ceasarean, which quite honestly isn't as scary as it may sound at first. Right after the baby is born they will check him/her for hypoglycemia, which is a problem that can easily be dealt with if it develops.

You've only got a few more weeks to go, so hang in there. I know it's really easy to get frustrated at this point, but at the end you'll end up with a beautiful baby. and the first time you look into his/her eyes, you'll know that all the struggle and effort was worth it! Best of luck to you!

i was insulin dependent during my last pregnancy & had my baby 2 weeks & suprisingly my diabetes went straight away

Just wanted to add a little bit about GD and the babies weight... It doesnt always mean you will have a huge bub, so keep that in mind if they start talking c/sections.

My baby was just under 9 lbs at 38 weeks, and my friend who also had GD had her baby at 40 weeks and she was just 6 lbs.....