Thread: Gestational Diabetes - how early???

Default Gestational Diabetes - how early???

Hello everyone, I'm interested in how early GD kicks in, and whether it's possible to get it before the 20 something week mark when they do the GTT??

Reason I'm asking is because I've been quite thirsty these last couple of days. More likely to be hot weather + too much salty food, but it did make me wonder....(esp as I'm overweight and now in the 35y+ bracket)!! I'm currently 14 weeks.

I'm not really sure. I was tested at 25 or so weeks, which the diabetes clinic thought was a bit earlier than usual. I thought this was a weird comment cos OBS said they check between 24 - 28 weeksd (??). You could just be a bit dehydtrated. Our bodies are fairly good at telling us what we need, particuarly when pg.

Snook Guest

I was also tested at about 28 weeks so I haven't had it for very long - and I don't need insulin which is good.

However, I know a lady who needed to take insulin for 3 months because of it.

I'd say, if you're concerned, go speak to your doc or midwife and they can arrange for you to be tested for it.

I'm not really worried about it (I'm going with the salty food theory), but the thought entered my mind (one night as I was up for my 4th wee of the night) and I've been wondering ever since.

If you can get it earlier, why do they only test you after the 20 something week mark?

I had it with my first pregnancy and was insulin-dependent.
    Because I had a history of it, when I got pregnant with DS my OB and I discussed it and we decided that I would have my first test at 15 weeks.
    It was clear, but I think it can show up that early if it's really bad.

GD can show up as early as your pregnancy test....it is all very individual and has to do with the way pregnancy hormones make you resistant to insulin. It is picked up most commonly in the third trimester because this is when your body has peak insulin needs with bubs doing most of its growing then but can occur anytime during the pregnancy. If you are concerned just ask the doctor for a finger ***** test and that shoud give him/her some indication of whether you may need a GCT or GTT done...better to be safe than sorry....Having said that it is more than likely just the weather bothering you