Thread: Has anyone refused a glucose tolerance test and still been allowed at birth centre?

Default Has anyone refused a glucose tolerance test and still been allowed at birth centre?

The birth centre where I want to birth has a policy that they don't allow women with gestational diabees to birth there.
    Im not so keen on doing the glucose tolerance test for various reasons - I am the healthiest eater and hardly ever eat sugar so I am sure my body would react abnormally to ingesting massive amounts of it! It just seems to go against all logic to me. And I desperately want to birth at the birth centre.. because hospitals just make me anxious and I feel that if I have to go into one, it will just increase my risk of PND. (i get depressed when I get too stressed!).
    I've had pre diabetes before but have always put it back to normal by diet and exercise, avoiding too much carbs and sugar. If it stays in normal range by doing this, why would I want to put it out of normal range by consuming a massive amount of sugar?
    I already do all the recommended things regarding diet anyway to keep my blood sugars stable so what would the test achieve?
    Would it be possible to negotiate alternative methods of monitoring my blood sugar with the birth centre? or does anyone think they would agree to me monitoring my blood sugar at home?
    Can I just refuse the test? - would they still allow me to birth at the birth centre?

No idea - it would depend on individual BC policy I guess. Could you call them and ask a hypothetical question?

I went to the birth centre in Brisbane in 2008 and I didn't have to have the test - I guess every one has their own policy

All the best

You have the right to refuse any medical treatment regardless of whether it is pregnancy related or not. As to whether it will impact on the chances of the birth centre treating you- don't know. A strange rule for sure and abit of a mystery as to why the won't treat GD mothers there

Also- can't help but mention that the fact that just because you are healthy, eat well etc doesn't really mean you won't have GD or that your less likely to have it. The test is for the best interest for your bubs and you and helps assess and monitor your pregnancy if you were to have GD.

Just a thought

I was asked whether or not I wanted to have it because I wasnt in a high risk category, I declined & am still going to the BC. Maybe if you are in high risk category they would like you to have it but as others have said, you can refuse any test

well i guess i will just try and refuse it and see what happens.. fingers crossed. I guess i just dont see the point of doing the test when if it comes back positive, all they have to offer is - exercise & diet (which I already do)... and then induction/ceasar coz your 'baby is too big' which Ive heard is the usual story.. they are not helpful suggestions as far as im concerned.. so if they cant offer anything better than that, whats the point of doing the test in the first place and giving baby unhealthy sugary drink.. thats just my point of view i suppose. id rather just self monitor my blood glucose levels throughout my pregnancy.

i am sorry but it doesnt matter if you are a healthy eater or not, GD is caused by the placenta during pregnancy. the placenta produces a hormone which impairs the action of the mother's insulin causing the mother to become insulin resistant, which then leads to GD. if you have failed the challenge test and your ob wants you to have the tolerance test, then for you health, and the health and safety of your unborn baby, you should take the test. if you do have GD, then it needs to be controlled and monitored safely otherwise you are putting yourself and your unborn baby at risk.

Why not just explain all this to the midwives and see what they say? They may be very understanding

Default Has anyone refused a glucose tolerance test and still been allowed at birth centre?

I didn't have the gct. My midwife was happy for me not to, and said that if I did want to have it that I should move around as much as possible for the hour they make you wait, because if I was going to have HD I was going to have it, and a walk shouldn't make a difference.