Thread: Cross-Stitch Design Programs for Windows

Default Cross-Stitch Design Programs for Windows

Can anyone recommend a preferably free cross stitch design program? There seems to be heaps available online but I'm not sure where to start. I'll be loading it onto my old dinosaur computer which runs Windows 98.

I actually have a DMC disc that can accommodate windows 98, if you like I can send it to you to try it out? I don't need it ATM as I have far too many kits that I have brought lately and that will keep me going for ages.

Oooh that's so kind of you to offer Trill! A DMC disc? I've heard of DMC floss and design kits... but not a program on which to make my own designs. I might Google first to see what it can do. Basically what I want is some glorified graph paper.... something that I can "colour in" digitally and print out without having to fuss about with paper and pencils. IYKWIM.

I have a few kits and projects i need to do as well but they are all too big... I just want to design a few small projects to get me back into the swing. I don't need to buy them... have stitched my own designs before, straight onto the aida cloth as I go! This time I'd like to be a bit more organised and think about what colours etc i might need before I just leap into it!

I assume the DMC program allows you to create designs using the DMC floss range of colours? My floss collection is mainly DMC so that would be very handy

Off to Google now...

Is it called The DMC Cross Stitch Pattern Designer? If it is it sounds absolutely perfect! I might have to buy one afterall!!!

HERE is a link to a review of it.

It will only use the DMC floss, but you can add your own flosses. You can also import your own pics or create your own entirely from scratch on the chart itself. I use it lately for just printing out the grids and adding my own lettering if I want to add text to a kit I'm doing etc. It's quite user friendly and it does have it's own small library which is basically beginner stuff, but I find it far more useful if you are just doing your own thing with it.

If you decide that you would like to try it, just pm me your addy and I will post it to you.

Thanks again Trill I think what I might do is go out and price this program at the shops... if it is reasonably priced i think i might just buy a copy. Roughly how much did you pay for yours? The DMC one I found at the review site sounds like what you have... but it didn't have the price.

That's OK I actually got mine for free as I got it as part of my kit when I was doing a party plan book thing ages ago

OOOh how good was that you got it for free!!!

I'll report back the price if and when I find a place that stocks it... I can't stop thinking about it!