Thread: What type of ink to use on baby's foot?

Default What type of ink to use on baby's foot?

Wondering if anyone has any suggestions for what type of ink we can use on bubs foot? We have a present for DD from the baby, and I have a nice card to write something in for her, but was thinking of stamping (ok, not the best word to use, but is all I can think of ATM) bubs little foot at the bottom of the card.

I was going to buy one of the stamp pads but noticed it said, not to have contact with skin. The lady that was in the shop I was in at the time, suggested I use some sort of acrylic art paint, as it would wipe off easily with some wipes/water. My mum suggested that I look around for the proper little kit you can get where you do the impressions of baby's hands and feet. I just don't know if i will have the energy to go looking for one.

It's something that we will try to do in hospital before DD comes for her first visit, so it has to be easy to prep and clean.
    Any thoughts?

Nic

i used to use the ink pads too.. But then I came up with an idea to scan the kids feet.. So now I scan thier feet and print out a pic

I wrap a blanket around thier foot and put the printer on the ground and stand them up so thier foot is upright and hit scan.. oh and close the lid as best you can and make sure the blanket covers the whole tray so no light gets in...

and I just re read your post and you want to do this in the hospital lol.. woops.. oh well use the above one for any future foot prints lol..

The acriylic paint is ok but messy.. it comes out alright..

Gosh not long to go now.. Good Luck with it all

Nic I always use acrylis paint for the same reason you've mentioned, plus it wipes off easily with baby wipes.
    If you go to a scrapbook shop you should be able to get little bottles with a dauber attached to the bottle, so all you have to do is daub the paint on the small one's foot.

Nic, that's an awesome tip about doing it with the scanner. Might have to do something like that for thankyou cards (if I actually do them lol)

Kim, thanks for the tip about the bottles with the dabber on the end.

Nic

I've always used Indian Ink. It shows every little crease and detail nicely and the colour stays true over a very long time. I've tried paint but it doesn't show the lines very clearly. A tip is to buy acid-free paper then it won't go yellow over time. All this stuff is available at art supply shops. Indian ink (artist quality ink) would be fairly safe... it's the stuff they use to fingerprint people... palm readers use it too. Personally I think there are more harmful chemicals in the average bottle of supermarket baby wash compared to using this as a "once off".

Speak to the hospital. They usually have inking pads for taking hand and foot prints (not always for the nicest of reasons but things like NICU babies etc ) They should be able to tell you where to get them from or may be able to get one for you in hospital. We access them from newborn care / NICU when we need one at work.

My little niece was in NICU and they used what looked like an ink pad to do her footprints. They had one that was all one colour, and another that was tri-coloured, so her toes were one colour, the middle of her foot another and her heel another one. You might be able to borrow it, or they should be able to tell you where to get one.

I used face paint for DD's feet and her footprints came up beautifully in my dearly departed FIL last bday card. 8 months on and the prints are still on the card as bright as they were the day I did them. It wiped off nicely too!