Thread: Wire Jewellery

Default Wire Jewellery

My Mum is getting me all I need to get started to make my own jewellery, like a few tools, wire, crystals, class(es), etc, for my birthday just gone.

Yesterday I got the pliers and wire, so last night I made a ring with a clear quartz crystal on it, and also twisted some wire around a piece of Iolite crystal for a pendant.

I think they were pretty good for a total beginner. They were the first things I have ever made from wire. I am looking forward to making some more goodies! I'm not much (read: "any") good at sewing, and I really like the whole metal 'thing', and I love my crystals.

Any one else make jewellery?

Sounds pretty. I used to make jewellry all the time (worked in a bead shop) and wire working was my favourite, but since having kids I just cant seem to find the time. Its very addictive beware lol

Yep I do, and I have been on and off for about hrmmm.. 15-20 years now eek : )

I use a lot of wire as well in my work, I love the look and also the versatility.

Seed beads are my favourite and always has been.

Just saw the thread

I make Jewellery as well, love making my own double-link chains and working with Swaro's and Gemstones.

I ordered in 148.9ct's worth of cut/faceted gemstones the other week and I'm going to have a try doing a bit of wirework with them, venturing out of my comfort zone a little bit. I'd also like to learn how to do proper chainmaille and make miniature items like handbags and barbie necklaces because they are so adorable

As Twin Sister said, it is very very addictive I have a whole big storage box full of Jewellery now, and keep on having to ask Hubby to make displays for me so i can display it all lol

Would love to see all your creations

Arhhh JennaJayen! I was wondering how long it would be before I came across someone also from the beading forum!!!!! I am JNG1977 on the forum, although I have been a little quiet lately.. more reading rather than posting

Hi girls, I was going to post a thread on jewelery making but was sure there would already be one and I was right I am looking for a hobby and think I may have found it. It's a strange time to start jewelery making though as I don't wear any jewelery apart from one pair of sleepers that I own and my engagement & wedding rings. I remember a few years back making a necklace which I loved and I wore it to death but I haven't worn it for like 6 years now I think. I enjoyed making it and LOVE gem stones / crystals so I thought this could be the perfect hobby for me if I started to wear more jewelery. Other challenges with this are that I've just had a bub so not sure where I'll find the time to even do it, plus I'm not so sure having little loose beads floating around the house in any capacity is a good idea when bub starts to crawl, even though I wouldn't intentionally leave them on the ground you never know? And I also thought it's not the most ideal timing when bub will be grabbing at any earings, bracelets or necklaces that I might make so when I think of all that I kinda think it'll all be a waste of time and money. It is prety expensive! I've just had a look on ebay for tibetan silver and went crazy making like $200 worth of stuff in my watch list lol and then I found a great website with everything on it from the states and have added another $200 worth of stuff to the cart I wont buy all of that but the idea was to then cull it down to what I'd actually buy. I think around $100 is ok to start with and then if it all goes well I can get more stuff another time.

Where do you girls buy your crystals from and wire/string etc I'd rather shop in Australia if the prices are good rather then hong kong and the USA.

would anyone like to share where they get their gem/beads from?

Hey Cherished, I forgot about this thread lol

Just sent you a PM