Thread: 10 month old, campervan, NZ????

Default 10 month old, campervan, NZ????

Hi!
    Just seeing if anyone who has travelled with a baby has any advice for me.
    We are going to NZ in November. DD will be 10 months old.
    We thought maybe instead of a hire car and hotels (packing/unpacking each day, eating out all the time etc) we would look at a campervan/motorhome.

My thoughts are, we can stop during the day and give her a good nap if needed. Minimal packing/unpacking. Can cook and minimise eating out.

There seems to be small van types that have 1 double and a single bed- but the single is up high- so not suitable. The 4 berth are bigger and the second bed is lower down and can be 'blocked in' for a rolling 10 month old.
    Does anyone think the shower/toilet would be useful, or are they so small that it would be hard to shower a baby in them?
    I have never hoildayed in a campervan before so not sure what to expect. Any comments would be gratefully received.
    Cost is not the major issue, we would like to be comfortable and appreciate that they cost the same as a car and hotel room anyway.

Any other tips or comments on this type of holiday with a 10 month old would also be appreciated!
    Thanks

Last edited by Mads; July 13th, 2008 at 05:58 PM.

OMG sounds fantastic! I think it would be worth having your own shower though.

We campervanned around California when DD was 7 months old and we definately found the tiny shower/toilet beneficial (especially as it got very cold outside and taking a bath-warm baby from a toilet block back to the van would have caused her some angst.

It's certainly a low-hassle option for travelling with a bub of that age because of its flexibility. Ours had a microwave too, which was very handy for heating up food when she wanted it.

Sounds very cool. I would go the campervan option if we ever got organised enough to have a holiday. Which island are you going to?

Thanks for the replies.

Mistyfying thats what I needed to hear- someone who has done it and doesnt think its an insane idea!!

I take note on the shower and microwave, agreed it would be good.

Artechim, we will prob fly into Wellington where we have friends and drive up and fly out of Auckland. A few years ago we first went to NZ and toured the south island mostly, which was fantastic. We also have friends in Nelson so might cross over to see them. Depends on time. I would prefer to concentrate on the North Island this time.

Now I have to lock DH into time off work and start researching....!!

The North Island is fabulous lol I am in the central North Island in the volcanic plateau. There are some stunning areas around here, you will have a great time. Feel free to PM me if there is any local info that you would like to know

Hi! I just found this old post and thought I would update in case anyone is interested in something similar!

We did do a campervan around the north island for 2 weeks, it was great! We got a toilet shower model but didnt use the shower once (the shower blocks were easier than getting water everywhere in the van!) The toilet was so convenient though!
    The van had seats right behind the driver (like a normal car set up) so we could easily reach her and still sit altogether in the front.
    A full size portacot fit up in the van- jammed into the doorway, where you could squueze past. (just had to exit via the front doors instead)

It was an awesome holiday and we would do it again. If anyone has any more questions I would be happy to answer!

JEEEAALLLLLOUSY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad it was great, I'm green with envy!

hawskey,

I think as long as ya have a tub or sink or LARGE bucket you be fine for bathing baby, I think go for what ever u can afford i think the more room and comfort u can have the better the holiday. I go to nz almost every year but we stay in a batch and arnt really traveling. But i have done it a few times with a baby this time my 3 year old is much older but we will be doing it with a 6 month old whom will be 8 month old then. We will just shower/bathe him in a large tub as there is only showers there. Im pretty sure DS3 will still be trying to get into the tub lol