Thread: Belgium anyone?

Default Belgium anyone?

Ok so not only is DH off to Cameroon in 2-3 months time now (boss changed dates) he is also being sent to Belgium in 4-6 weeks time.

Any info on this would be great!!!!

Is it safe? Anything he should be careful of?

Watch out for the beer - apparently it's very good! LOL!

Just as well he hates beer then!!

Mmmmmmm....Belgium chocolate

LOl Bon..thats what i was thinking of in bed last night!!

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

mmmmmmmmmmmmm i was also going to warn about the choc and beer!!!!!!!

OMG - I just thought of another threat to the unsuspecting traveller....Belgian Waffles!

Ok so his biggest thing to worry about is the food!!!

oooooh the food in Belgium!!! YUMMOO!!! He will come back fat!

Gee Kim, that's a lot of travel! How are you feeling about it?

Have you seen the smart-traveller website - Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade ? That is updated with all the latest travel info and warnings.

MR im really not coping very well at the thought of him travelling and so far away from home...let alone into a place like Cameroon

But he has no choice.. has to go....its part of his job

Every night i panic and he hasnt even gone yet. Having the IL's here will be good...but its not the same as me being with DH or having him home. I constantly worry about the 'What if's' all the time.

Ill check out the site..thanks!

Big hugs Kim. I hope the time he is away passes quickly. Make sure you find something to do just for you while he is away - a girlie night out, a massage, etc. It will help a lot and I'm sure your ILs will be very happy to look after the girls for you.

Take that site with a grain of salt too hun, they tend to find something to warn about in even the safest of places. It's mostly useful for checking out particular requirements for places, and major safety issues.

Sorry if I've been making fun of the Belgian food, it's just a stark contrast to Cameroon and I know which out of those two places I'd be worrying about! My DH has had to travel to some pretty hairy places with his job and that worry doesn't go away. My advice is to make sure you have your communications sorted out before he goes - ie know how often he is going to ring/email and when, and two or three alternative contacts for you in case you don't hear from him and start to worry. Will he be gone for long with each trip... a couple of weeks is a lot easier ot get through than a couple of months, you will need to set up different coping strategies if it's going to be a longer trip. HTH

Yeah Kim there will usually be travel warnings for pretty much any country you visit so don't be too concerned it's just general advice really. We've travelled to parts of Asia before that at the time had travel warnings in place and we were fine

I hope the time your DH is away goes VERY fast for you. I would be feeling the same way as you if my DH was going away for a bit too.... aw hugs dont' suppose you can travel with him???? just a thought hehe

I could travel with him Ren....but we cant afford the airfares for me

Kim I've been to Belgium for a few days (Brussels) and felt totally safe, the people were lovely. This was a few years ago but I'm sure nothing would have changed. Oh and yep the food is awesome! Tell him he MUST bring you chocolate!

I hope the time apart goes quickly, you will have your girls to keep you busy I'm sure! Sorry you can't go along too......

Kim, after all that I never answered your original question. My sisters have both been to Belgium mulitple times. It is one of their favourite places and they both consider it very safe, even for a female on her own. So try not to worry too much.

You will just have to spend lots of time on BB to keep your mind occupied LOL!!