Thread: Cameroon

Default Cameroon

DH has to go to Cameroon very soon for work...not sure how long he will be gone for....unfortunately the girls and i have to stay behind

Can anyone tell me anything about the place, what its like etc???

I found this on an Australian Gov site (google australian government travel advisory) "We advise you to reconsider your need to travel to Cameroon at this time due to the volatile and unpredictable security situation. If you do decide to travel to Cameroon, you should exercise extreme caution and avoid unnecessary local travel. You should monitor the media and other local information sources for information about new safety or security risks. Since 25 February, there has been civil unrest and rioting in the Littoral, West, South West and North West provinces. Rioting and looting has occurred in Yaounde. In Douala, where there have been armed clashes between demonstrators and security forces, many businesses remain closed and private motor vehicles are being targeted by rioters. Australians are advised to remain indoors as much as possible and exercise extreme caution at all times, particularly when moving outside their neighbourhoods.
    The security situation could deteriorate quickly and without warning, and Australians could be caught up in violence directed at others. You should have your own contingency plans and arrangements to depart Cameroon, ensure that your travel documentation remains up to date and register your presence in the country with us (see below).
    Because of possible disruptions to the supply of goods and services, we recommend you have with you a supply of water and food to last several days and a basic first-aid kit. Ensure your vehicle has an adequate supply of fuel and ensure mobile phones are fully charged.
    We strongly advise you not to travel to the Eastern Provinces, the border area with the Central African Republic and the Lake Chad region because of the risk of armed banditry and cross-border skirmishes.
    We still strongly advise you not to travel to the border area with Nigeria in the region of the Bakassi Peninsula because of the risk of localised fighting erupting without warning.
    Australia does not have an Embassy or Consulate in Cameroon. The Canadian Embassy in the capital, Yaounde, provides consular assistance to Australians in Cameroon (except the issue of passports). You should register your presence online with the Canadian Embassy as well as with the Australian High Commission in Nigeria which can also assist Australians in Cameroon.
    Given the volatile and unpredictable security situation, we strongly recommend that you register your travel and contact details, so we can contact you in an emergency.
    Be a smart traveller. Before heading overseas:
    organise comprehensive travel insurance and check what circumstances and activities are not covered by your policy
    subscribe to this travel advice to receive free email updates each time it's reissued. "

Hope that is useful

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Holy Moly......im scared.....thanks heaps for that info. I dont think i want him going....

ATM his boss is over there for a wedding....but due to their company taking on some new project DH and another guy have to go over to get it up and running.

Sorry did not mean to scare you

Just when I saw it, I had to pass on as I would want to know

Sending positive vibes so your DH will be safe over there

wow thas scary kim!