Thread: First time on a plane with baby...

Question First time on a plane with baby...

Hi all,
    In July/August I will be taking my bub down to Brisbane from Darwin. What should I know as I'm completely clueless. I have checked out the QANTAS web site and read up on their rules etc but I was wondering if there are any tips worth knowing. Bub will be 4 months by then.
    Thanks
    Jean

Hey Jean

I found that on plane trips, a dummy was an absolute lifesaver!! And I usually bf a lot of the way and let them nod off to sleep on the boob!
    Take little wraps too, cos it always seems to get a bit nippy too.

Breastfeed while the plane takes off and lands, it stops their ears from popping.

When i took DD on a plane when she was 4.5 months old she slept for the whole 2hours. So i didn't really need to entertain her at all. Hopfully that happens as i can't imagine trying to settle a bub while cramped in a plane chair.

I think that's a great age to fly. I have done the Bris to Melb trip 4 times now, and each time DD gets older it gets harder!
    DD was 4mths the first time we did the trip and I fed her for takeoff and she slept the whole way! It was great.
    Just a tip - make sure you change him before you get on the plane as the change table thingy in the toilet is horrible!
    All the best

I agree that is a great age for flying, the less active they are the better LOL....yes it does get harder.
    I would take a baby bag with all you need, including purse etc & not a handbag aswell. The extra is sometimes too much & some people are not that helpfull when you look like you are trying to master a juggling act.
    I agree take a wrap or two, planes do get cold...otherwise they can get you a rug.
    In regards to BF or bottle feeding on take off etc, don't stress too much about it. Sometimes it's not possible if not feed time - give it a shot, or try a dummy but what will be will be. I'm a lucky Mum of a baby who doesn't even flinch....lucky for me as he has flown 10 times in 12months.
    If you have a sling or baby carrier that is great for being able to do other things & keep bubs close so should sleep better & then you don't have to put on that silly little strap.
    Also ring & ask to be allocated an isle seat, very convineint if you need to take a walk with bubs etc.
    Oooh yeah & eat before hand, don't rely on eating on the plane...very hard to do if you are on your own juggling bubs.
    Goodluck & have fun.

Definitely try and feed during take-off and landing. It helps relieve the pressure in their ears. If bubs won't take milk, try water or a dummy. It is the sucking that helps.

Just to let you know, you are more likely to be put in the back of the plane with the other parents/kids. If there is a baby who is distressed, that may distress your little one so make sure you have some SMALL toys like rattles, keys etc to try and distract bubs.

Finally, ask the person at the counter (if that is how you are checking in) if it is possible to have a spare seat next to you. That way you can lay bubs down (once you move the armrest), sit sideways and play if you need to. It makes life SO much easier.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for all the great advice, I've made notes. I didn't even think about isle seats or window seats but thinking about it now I can see how being able to get up quickly wold help when changing etc.

Thanks again all.