Thread: Flying Jetstar. Dos and Donts?

where cosmopolitans and margaritas flow all night

Question Flying Jetstar. Dos and Donts?

I've never flown with Jetstar but my Uncle has bought me return tickets Adelaide to Sydney for a few weeks time. I'm wondering a few things (also wondering these things because I"m not a seasoned flyer - this will be my first flight in almost 6 years).

1. Can I take my own food/drink
    2. Can I take an mp3 player
    3. Can I use a laptop to watch my own DVD
    4. Can I take photos during the flight
    5. I take prescription medication, do I need to have authority from my doctor to take these in carry-on (thyroxine)

Yes, although nothing hot

Yes, but you can't use it until pilot gives the OK for electronic devices

Yes, but as above for when you can't use it

Check with cabin crew, but pretty sure it's OK. Again, not until after you get the OK for electronic devices

5. I take prescription medication, do I need to have authority from my doctor to take these in carry-on (thyroxine)
    No.

Other stuff:
    DO get there early
    DO get on the plane fairly early to get settled (and claim some overhead baggage space, it's limited)
    DON'T expect anyone to help you (they might, but don't count on it)
    DON'T take ridiculous amounts of carry-on. It's 7kg per person, in a bag that fits in those little frame things.

If you can check-in online 24 hours beforehand, do it and get the seat you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Audax View Post
    Yes, although nothing hot

Yes, but you can't use it until pilot gives the OK for electronic devices

Yes, but as above for when you can't use it

Check with cabin crew, but pretty sure it's OK. Again, not until after you get the OK for electronic devices

No.

Other stuff:
    DO get there early
    DO get on the plane fairly early to get settled (and claim some overhead baggage space, it's limited)
    DON'T expect anyone to help you (they might, but don't count on it)
    DON'T take ridiculous amounts of carry-on. It's 7kg per person, in a bag that fits in those little frame things.
    Thanks for the response.
    When you said "No" about my medication question I just want to make sure that's "No you don't need authority from the doctor and yes you can take it on"
    I'm planning to take my laptop and camera bag as carry-on (I have an SLR so can't fit the 2 in one bag). I (my uncle) has paid for me to have checked in baggage.

With regard to the medication, Would it be a good idea to take a copy of my prescription with me because I don't plan on taking the tablets in the box they come in, but rather will have them in pill boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by muminalice View Post
    If you can check-in online 24 hours beforehand, do it and get the seat you want.
    I plan to. I want a window seat (As this will be only about the 6th time I've flown, it's still a novilty to me and I like to look out the window - sound like a kid huh!)

I don't think it matters how often you fly, the window seat is still the bestest. I always have to give it to a small these days, sigh

Just from my recent Jetstar experience - don't expect the staff to be friendly or helpful, do expect a senior officer with an attitude, do expect cramped seats and do expect the guy a couple of rows back to chunder in the toilet....others may have had good Jetstar experiences, mine were not, even though the flight was only 1/4 full the passengers still seemed an inconvenience.
    Virgin blue on the other hand were lovely and that flight was full up.

Quote Originally Posted by danniellabella View Post
    When you said "No" about my medication question I just want to make sure that's "No you don't need authority from the doctor and yes you can take it on"

With regard to the medication, Would it be a good idea to take a copy of my prescription with me because I don't plan on taking the tablets in the box they come in, but rather will have them in pill boxes.
    They are very unlikely to notice or care about your medication in any way. It's international journeys where that is much more of an issue. That said, it's a good idea to carry the prescription while travelling in case of some actual medical concern: for example, if you are hospitalised after an accident and someone needs to explain what meds you are on, you lose them and need a refill, things like that. So I'd take it along.

No, you don't need authority for any kind of medication. I usually take my Ventolin out of my bag for security screening, because it's an aerosol, but some airports care, some don't, depends who you see on the day and how long the queues are. And that's onyl because it's an aerosol. DH takes some fairly hardcore medication and has never even seen a raised eyebrow. If you had 5 cartons of Sudafed, might be a different story, but honestly, nobody is going to worry about your pills.

Oh, and the later in the day you fly, the mroe likely Jetstar (and Virgin) flights are to be late, because of their quick turnaround time for each plane between flights.

Window seats = not so awesome when you've got someone dancing on your bladder! But yeah, I always prefer them.

No, you don't need authority for any kind of medication. I usually take my Ventolin out of my bag for security screening, because it's an aerosol, but some airports care, some don't, depends who you see on the day and how long the queues are. And that's onyl because it's an aerosol. DH takes some fairly hardcore medication and has never even seen a raised eyebrow. If you had 5 cartons of Sudafed, might be a different story, but honestly, nobody is going to worry about your pills.

Oh, and the later in the day you fly, the mroe likely Jetstar (and Virgin) flights are to be late, because of their quick turnaround time for each plane between flights.

Window seats = not so awesome when you've got someone dancing on your bladder! But yeah, I always prefer them.

Yes to all.
    No issues - and you can use your camera at ANY time, you do not need to turn it off with other electronic devices as it does not transmit anything. Same with your MP3 player.

WRT meds - nobody gives a fig lol You are not flying international, so it is a non issue and in fact they have no right to even know you have them.

Happy trails.

im not familiar with the medication ur talking about but after working at one of the mentioned airlines in the thread if u have to carry sharps (ie ANY type of needles) u will need a letter from ur Dr....

its always a good idea to carry ur script incase u get a checkin staff memeber who wants to be difficult

Also if you are flying "light" carry on only, dont just go to the automatic check in booths..DD (4) and I had a flight back from Brisbane to Melb with one of us on one side of an isle and her on the other. Wasnt such a pain for me as for the other 2 passengers sitting with her were mightly peed off.

If you can choose the seat next to the window in row 12. There's no seat in front of there so you have so much room!

Don't ask the flight attendant to move the food trolley so you can vomit in the toilet, they get cranky and tell you to use the spew bag

Quote Originally Posted by Tinks View Post
    If you can choose the seat next to the window in row 12. There's no seat in front of there so you have so much room!

Don't ask the flight attendant to move the food trolley so you can vomit in the toilet, they get cranky and tell you to use the spew bag
    Oh! Thank the lord that the food trolley wasn't out when Mr Chunder on my flight needed to! Totally reeked of big night out on the town - Yuuukkk!!

Quote Originally Posted by LimeSlice View Post
    No issues - and you can use your camera at ANY time, you do not need to turn it off with other electronic devices as it does not transmit anything. Same with your MP3 player.
    Jetstar ask you not to use them until you get the OK though. My DH carries on about this too, saying it's unnecessary, but it's really not. They ask for them to be switched off during take-off and landing - the most high risk times of the flight, where you really don't want to be distracted by a camera, or unable to hear instructions from cabin crew because you have an mp3 player on.