Thread: Overseas with baby

Default Overseas with baby

We are travelling to NZ for Christmas to stay with family, and chloe will be 11 months old. Apart from the usual stuff to pack (everything!?), does anyone have any suggestions or comments on taking a bub overseas. EG. Ideas for the plane, what to do about a stroller, jet lag or anything else you have learned.

I'm researching the same thing. There's lots of advice and tips on the 'net if you Google the words "baby", "travel" "tips" "flying". I've found this (the formatting is a bit dodgey but I think you'll still be able to read it):

Check that your airline allows you to pre-book baby bassinet (sky cot) before the day of travel - not all will - Air NZ only allows pre-booking for infants of 8 months and less, otherwise you must wait until check-in to see if a bassinet is available.

bullet

Allow plenty of time at the airport for check-in, and connecting flights. Remember how much longer it takes to achieve anything with kids in tow and apply the same formula to your travel plans.
    bullet

Smile sweetly and helplessly at everyone and you may get help and be able to queue jump - 'always keep the lid on your blender'.
    bullet

Ask if your flight is full when checking in. Some assistants will block out the seat next to you in a less full flight or offer you the option of seating next to a vacant seat. This is particularly valuable if traveling with a toddler under 24months without a seat.
    bullet

Get on the plane first and off the plane last to get a better chance of assistance from cabin crew.
    bullet

Take a set of reins or a harness for a toddler so that you can let him walk around the terminal - but still keep him close at hand. This is a great bonus as you try to pick luggage from the carousel or present documents to airline, customs and immigration officials.
    bullet

Look out for fast track customs and immigration check points for those traveling with infants.

Diaper changing

more about diapers and changing
    bullet

Pack a small bag with just one diaper, a few wipes, a perfumed nappy sack and some rash cream if needed and place it in the seat pocket in front of you.
    bullet

Some planes have a larger bathroom at the very rear of the plane with a correspondingly larger change table. Wait for this to become free if you have a larger baby to change, as airplane change tables are small.
    bullet

On some airlines the cabin crew will prepare the change table in one of the toilet cubicles for you if you let them know that you need to use one. That's a real help is you have a squirmy, smelly bundle to hold while wrestling with lowering a change table in the tiny space of an airplane bathroom - so the first time you need to make a change on the plane, ask an assistant where they prefer you to make the change, and take any help offered.

Eating and meals on board

more about meals
    bullet

Always test the temperature of food heated in the aircraft galley before you give it to your child. If is often way too hot!
    bullet

Take your own baby food, bowl and utensils for an infant. Some airlines do have tins of baby food on board - but most likely not what your baby likes best!
    bullet

Disposable bibs are a great idea for infant mealtimes on board an airplane.
    bullet

Disposable bottle liners that are pre-sterilised in a roll are excellent for long plane journeys. Carry a bottle of pre-boiled water with you too, then make up the bottle in the pre-sterilised bag and ask the attendant to warm it by standing briefly in a bowl of hot water.
    bullet

Ask for bottles and meals to be warmed well in advance of when you need them. Cabin crew don't have a microwave and have to heat using hot water in the galley. This takes time.
    bullet

Keep two diaper pins attached to your diaper bag. If you can get a window seat (most people will trade you) you can take a blanket and attach it to your seat and the seat in front of you for a privacy screen. People may even help you attach the pins when you're flying alone.

Entertainment and playing

more about entertainment
    bullet

Wrap toys to add to their entertainment value. Leave one end of the package open so that you can show the 'gift' to security staff if they ask you to.
    bullet

Forget your policy on limiting screen time --- get as much relief as you can from the airplane children’s video channels and games. If you don't trust these, take your own audio cassette machine and tapes.
    bullet

Bring toys out one by one - get maximum use from them, pack them away, then move on to the next toy.

Getting around

more about getting around
    bullet

Snap on wheels for infant car seats (you can hire these from Plunket in New Zealand) are a real bonus if you've booked a seat for your infant and he'll be riding in his car seat. They can be taken onto the plane but take the assembly apart before check in to reduce the appearance of bulk. You'll love the convenience of wheels as you move around the airport.
    bullet

Take a set of reins or a harness for a toddler so that you can let him walk around the terminal - but still keep him close at hand. This is a great bonus as you try to pick luggage from the carousel or present documents to airline, customs and immigration officials.
    bullet

Small travel strollers will fit in the luggage bins of 747's or larger aircraft but airlines have become increasingly strict about not allowing these on board. (I'm using a MacLaren at the moment, stripped of it's hood and accessories - Ed.)
    bullet

An infant front pack is really helpful so that you can carry baby while you push a luggage trolley.

I travelled to the UK when Oscar was 9 months and have just come back from another trip there with both of them.

I really wouldn't bother trying to take a stroller to the gate - just get it checked in and use a carrier (highly recommend the ergo if you don't already have one). It's just too busy to try and steer around everyone! I wore Will on my front so i could have a backpack on my back and this worked well.

Take all food and drink you think they will need and don't rely on the airlines - we have been let down twice by airlines and have always taken our own stuff anyway. As will is lactose intolerantr we took little boxes of soy milk with us which were over the 100ml but no one made us test them.

sleep when they sleep - don't even bother getting the earphones!

take some new toys that are small but not that small as when they get thrown small things are a nighmare to find under seats, around people feet.

with respect to the jet lag we let our 2 have sleep when they wanted in the first few days but wouldn't let them go for longer than 2 hours in the day and actually woke them up. Sounds harsh and they hate you for a few minutes but they were angels within a day of a 7 hour difference so it does work.

take your own cot bedding so that they are in familar bedding even if a different type of cot.

If i think of anything else ill pop back in.

have a great trip - it will be easier than you think

Julie x
    Last edited by PlonkeeMumma; October 17th, 2007 at 04:42 PM. Reason: to add 'in the day'

Thanks for all the tips girls. We're taking Angus to China in late Jan (he'll be 13.5 mths) and so I've started researching too. Some tips given to me by people include:

If they have a runny nose in the days leading up to departure, get them going on Demazin to keep it dried up and avoid nasty pressure problems.

One of the strollers that fold up into a back pack and meet cabin baggage size requirements can be very handy.

I'll pop back if I find anything else useful.