Thread: Planning a snow holiday, please help me!!

Default Planning a snow holiday, please help me!!

Okay, I found out the other day that DP has never been to the snow, ad we've also never gone away for a holiday just the two of us

So we decided to plan a few days between term 2 and 3.

We want to go somewhere in VIC. I think its easiest to find a package deal that suits us, accommodation, ski hire and all that stuff all organised together.

Please give me an idea where to start planning and where are the best places to go!! Any advice or suggestions would be great!!

Thanks

The best place to start might be the resort web sites.
    I know NSW not Victoria but Thredbo has earlybird specials if you book before about mid-april.

lets all go together!

Try Falls Creek---heaps of good stuff for beginners

Falls creek is very good for beginners.
    Mt Hotham and Mt Buller I think have beginner runs but they are not as easy as the ones at falls creek.

HOw long are you planning to go, it can get quite expensive. I think last time I went (at least 5 years ago) to FC my daily lift ticket was over $50, and I was probably a student so that was the concession rate.

If you get a package deal it might include hot breakky and stuff so that would be good. Your travel agent might be able to help, but you can also google the FC, Hotham or Buller (there are others too I am sure) and probably get something.

If you want to stay on the mountain it will cost more than if you stay in town at the foot and drive up during the day.

If you go for a package deal, make sure you know the type of place your staying at - I have stayed twice at Falls Creek on the mountain, once was pricy at over $120/night (accomodation only, not inc equip hire, lift tix etc) but it was 3*great* meals a day, really nice digs and a great spa.

The second time we went we stayed at the frying pan - more backpacker accomodation, so much cheaper.but still full of drunken louts at all hours. But its part of a pub, so you expect this.

Thanks, haven't had a chance to look anything else up yet but will do very soon!

Dp and I will only be going for 3 or 4 days, more so as a reason to get away just the two of us for a bit. I'm starting a new job in 2 weeks and I can't really ask for time off after 2 months, so we'll just go for a few days. Driving up the mountain each day wouldnt be an issue either

Thanks for your help, i'll start looking into it

We don't mind what kind of accommodation etc as is such an expensive holiday anyway with accommodation, ski hire, day passes, food etc, a package deal would make more sense so its less things we have to arrange ourselves.

Dee, being from a town at the foot of a major ski resort, i'll reccommend the following.

1. If DP hasn't skied before, I wouldn't take up a package...coz he might HATE it, and you'll be stuck there. If you stay off mountain at least you'll still be able to enjoy your break by doing other things in the area.

2. I'd stay off mountain in Bright - can get cheap motels etc and drive up every day - 40 mins to top of Mt Hotham, 45 mins to Falls Creek.

3. In Bright you can organise your lift tickets and ski hire all from the numerous ski hire shops, and there are plenty of restuarants etc for cheap meals - plus I'd go to the supermarket and get rolls and fillings and snacks etc for lunches coz buying food on the mountain is soooooo expensive ie. $5.50 for a little bucket of hot chips...$9+ for a sandwich.....not worth it. Also most accommodation places will do B&B.

4. If you stay off mountain, you could do a day on Hotham and a day on Falls, and get to ski the different terrains. I grew up skiing on Mt Buffalo (which i wouldn't even bother with now coz they don't get much snow these days thanks to global warming) and Falls Creek, and whilst i am a confident skier, I find Hotham not great if you are just beginning. You really one get a choice of 2 runs where there are lots more on Falls.

5. Some accommodation places in Bright cater for skiers, and can arrange your lift tickets, bus services up the mountain so you don't have to drive, packages, clothing, they have drying rooms so your gear can dry over night etc etc....

I would go and speak to a travel agent, or check out the Mt Hotham website and Falls Creek Website and see if they have their packages available online yet - it may be too early, not sure, and also check out some Bright websites or ring the local Tourist Info there and they will help you with your requirements anyway (Bright Tourist & Information Centre - Gavan Street, Bright)

Some things to think about anyway....and i'm sure you could do the same with Mt Buller and Mansfield, but i've only skied there once (when i was about 6) and can't remember what it was like. Good luck...you'll have a ball.