Thread: Tell me about your bike trailer.

Default Tell me about your bike trailer.

We are looking to buy one of those trailers that go on the back of the push bike, to pop the little one in when we go bike riding on holidays.

Now I have a few questions..
    How old do the little ones need to be before they can start travelling in them? I would think they would need to be able to support a helmet, but maybe there are lighter helmets?

What do you look for in a trailer?

I am currently looking at ones on ebay, we dont have a spare few hundred dollars lying around, so our limit is $200.
    Has anybody tried/got/seen these brands? If so what do you think of them?
    Skiiddiis
    Cyclops Explorer
    Tag along
    Baby Transit

TIA

We've got an Adventur Bound trailer, it cost us $140. We got it because it was cheaper than the cargo trailers we were looking at. We use it for grocery shopping, and the odd picnic (load it up with stereo, esky, BBQ and off we go!) DH loves riding with it because he gets 100 times more road space and courtesy from motorists when he's using it - apparently his life when he's got a "kid" in tow is more precious than when he's on his own

I would never put a child in it, even though that's what it's designed for. It's flimsy, and doesn't offer great support. After a year and a half, bits are falling off (admittedly, we're pretty rough on it) and it just doesn't look safe. It's definitely better to spend the money, go for the better brands, and buy from a bike shop.

Alternatively, look into the WeeRide, or similar style, where kiddo sits up front with you. Much easier to ride with than a trailer, and great for teaching them some early road sense.

As for helmet, it's around 12 months that they're ready for it. Some earlier, but that's the benchmark we've been given.

I started a thread about this too, but I think it got lost when the server crashed. With the advice I was given and people's experiences, we have actually decided not to get a trailer, which I was sold on, and get the WeeRide. I realised I didn't like the idea of DD being behind me with the bike spray and the potential for her to throw things out of the trailer without us knowing it, and loved the idea of her being in front of me and me hearing her chat away. She giggles when the wind is in her face and I don't want to miss that!!

We bought ours from Kmart during the mid year christmas toy sale thing a few years ago. I think he needed to be 1 to first go in it. At first, just before 1 he hated it. Cried when we put the helmet on, and while we weren't moving, but he enjoyed travelling in it. Now he loves it.

hmm, I always thought the weeride would be a tad scary being right up the front?
    I have seen a few people with the trailers on the bike trail near us, but not sure what kind they use.

We have one off Ebay. It was only about $150. Our treatment isn't that rough of it though and it only gets occasional use. I agree with Scone, even though DS could go in it before 1 due to him being quite strong he hated it and has only started to love it recently. We went with a trailer because we have 2 kids that need to go if DH rides and so the Weeride wasn't suitable for us.
    In regards to the spray ours has a cover if it's wet and a net cover for everyday use so they can't chuck stuff out.
    You can get infants helmets. We just got ours at the bike shop I think.
    For a smaller bub though a seat would be far better as there is no support in the trailer. They have to be able to support themselves. It's a very basic seatbelt system. I put some old pram strap covers on DS's so it didn't cut into his neck.

we got ours from Kmart..
    it has been great although i also have a bike seat on my bike.. it takes some getting used to and i agree that you do get more space with it on the roads although when im loaded up with the kids im more likely to stay on the paths..

Quote Originally Posted by poopie View Post
    hmm, I always thought the weeride would be a tad scary being right up the front?
    Scary for them, or scary for you? I can't imagine it would be scary for them - they're at the same height as a hip or sling carry, and lower speed than going in the car.

For me, the fear of a trailer flipping is far worse than anything that could happen on the actual bike. DH has flipped ours twice, and he is a very experienced rider.

We have a pacific trailer... love it!! We have had it for many years and I have recently rode it all through pregnancy with no hassles. I think bub needs to be about 12 months old to ensure efficient neck strength for the helmet, and for the lack of susspension on the trailer/bike.

xx

ETA, our Trailer isn't flipable (not sure that is a word lol). I have fallen off and it stays on both wheels.

I flipped our trailor with nothing in it.. i dont think it would have flipped with DS in it