Thread: Babysitter rates?

Default Babysitter rates?

How much do you pay a babysitter per hour or job? We are just out of Melbourne (if location makes any difference). 2 kids, one still in nappies.

6 or 7 years ago I used to get $20 per child, but they were easy kids - little bit of fuss when Mum&Dad left, read a million stories, and the kids would take themselves to bed. My sister charges $15 an hour, and all her clients are kids from the childcare centre she works at.

HTH!

We are in Melbourne as well and we pay our baby sitter(a girl from our daycare centre) $20.00 an hour.

We pay $17.50/hr. I'd say it should be more for 2 kids, but actual rate will depend on qualifications etc. Might also be higher over there compared to WA

our day care centre advertises for $15 an hour and $100 overnight

I charge $15 an hour; $20 for more than 1 child. Hth

Thanks everyone, I think $20 should be about right then.
    Does it continue at an hourly rate for a full day? Such as a one off job of 8hrs, including putting to bed. Would it then be $160 for the 8 hrs or would you negotiate something else? I dont want to be a stinge, or offend. Just wondering what the norm might be. Afterall, $160 is a bit of $$$!

Salsa, of I'm sitting for a longer period of time, I will usually charge $15 per hour, especially if it's during the day and I'm with the child/ren a lot. If it's a shorter amount of time during the day I charge $20. For things like putting the kids to bed/minding them and the house at night, $15. I'm sure a lot of people would also be happy to work out a daily pay rate if you needed someone for 8 hours, but I think that would work best if it were a more regular arrangement, iykwim?

PZ, what would you charge for two hours at night (eg 8-10) kids already alseep when you got there?

Quote Originally Posted by Pandora View Post
    PZ, what would you charge for two hours at night (eg 8-10) kids already alseep when you got there?
    $30

Wow PZ, you've got it all worked out! I would just be going "I dunno, how much do you want to pay me?"

I should do some babysitting, it's something I'm fairly sure I'd be good at and we do need the money...

Teni you should! I've been sitting/nannying for the last 6 years, it's fantastic, especially when you've had the same family for a while and you watch the child/ren go through the years at school etc.