Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bathroom Floor - What's Yours?

Default Bathroom Floor - What's Yours?

I've always thought tiled bathroom floors were dumb.

We've just moved house from a bathroom with a wooden floor to a bathroom with a tiled floor and it has confirmed for me that they are infact, dumb as.

Maybe they are OK in warm climates. Waking up to a minus 4 degree morning and walking onto a freezing cold tiled bathroom floor annoys the crap out of me.

I have to faff around putting slippers on and/or put stupid bathmats in front of the sink, in front of the shower, around the toilet etc.

Over it.

So we are going to rip them out and go either with wooden boards or cork.

DP and I can't understand why tiled floors are so popular. What's on your bathroom floor and do you like it?

we are putting tiles on ours lol

we had carpet.... hello 1970s lol

Couldn't agree more. We have tiles. Can't stand 'em either cause it gets really cold in winter here and winter goes for 9 months of the year......

We're going to be building a new house soon (hopefully!) and will have tiles again but there will be geothermal heating through the entire slab. Aahhh.....18 degrees, all year round.

We have lino.

Ahurani - I would LOVE to have carpet. Does it get wet?

Oh no! We are about to do a reno and put tiles in. I was excited cos we going all s****y with tiles. And I told DH that under floor heating was over the top! We have lino currently

And here I was thinking, well tiles, what else?? BUT, I've never woken up to minus 4 degrees either!!! lol So yeah, tiles is all I've ever known/seen in bathrooms.

We have tiles and to be honest with kids, it is practical as they spill stuff, splash water out of the bath etc. Yes, it is cold in winter but I either wear socks or slippers around the house and I don't spend that much time standing on the tiles. I don't actually find Melbourne that cold so it doesn't bother me really.

Growing up in cold Ballarat we had cork tiles on the bathroom floor which were warmer and I think wood or lino would also be warmer. The added benefit is that things won't smash if they are dropped on the floor like tiles - and there is so much stuff in the bathroom that can break or smash if dropped on tiles! Carpet would get wet and stinky I think although you might be able to get stuff these days that is designed for wet areas but in my mind I'm seeing 70's shagpile

The wooden floor in our old bathroom was fantastic. And it warmed up even more because we had ducted heating in there. People freak out about wooden floors in bathrooms because they are scared of water damage but we never had a problem and we weren't precious about them either.

I'd only do tiles with underfloor heating but we'd have to rip out the tiles to put in underfloor heating so might as well choose something else methinks.

Tiles in both houses - both of which are in cold climate so we know about negative temperatures - and wouldn't do it differently. Bathroom here is tiny so one bathmat covers most of the room. Our new house will also have tiles.

It stays so wet in the bathroom when it is cold, you'd need uber-sealed timber in there (or solid hardwood floors like they have in old houses) or you'd get moisture damage from hell. We can't leave towels or bathmats (we rotate the bathmat) in there or they simply don't dry. I have laminate timber in the kitchen and it already has water damage near the oven from condensation on it so I'd never do laminate in a bathroom.

We have tiles in 1 bathroom and Lino in the other. I'm with you Fionas I hate the tiles with a passion! They're cold and slippery.

We have cork tiles in our kitchen which I really like.

I may have to come over to your house and walk on your cork tiles barefoot with a thermometer Tinks! Have always loved cork but never had it in any house yet.

They're very warm Fionas! Warmer than our wood floors. I really like them, they reduce noise and are quite soft under foot, if I drop something on them it just bounces. Ours need re-sealing though, they're looking very dull but that could also be because I use the steam mop on them when I shouldn't (naughty me).

We used to have 70's style brown shaggy carpet, we do have tiles now but we have got a heater vent in the bathroom which warms them up by the time we use it as it comes on at 6.30.

Yeah it got wet only a little lol

Don't know what they were thinking back then carpet, bathroom and water!!

We had lovely brown carpet I still miss the feeling on my feet and the bathroom is colder without it. Probably because we don't have the tiles down yet

We've got this fantastic pretend-cork lino in our kitchen. It loooks lovely, it's very soft and warm to stand on. If that's what "real" cork is like, I'd say go cork. Much quieter than wood too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast