Thread: Colorbond vs Tiles

Default Colorbond vs Tiles

Hi All

After looking at some less than desirable homes to buy, my DH and I decided to build a home. We're at the point where we need to decide between Colorbond or tiled roofing.

We both love the look of Colorbond but are a little concerned with the noise issue.

We don't mind the rain noise too much but are concerned with the 'cracking' noise that can happen when temperature changes affect the metal.

We're concerned about the noise waking our DS who isn't the best sleeper.

Anyone have any experiences, good or bad, with Colorbond?

The roof will have steel trusses rather than timber BTW.

TIA

TBH you still get creaking and groaning with tiled rooves, too.

My neighbour recently had their roof done in colourbond, oh my, it looks nice.

So now I have NRE (neighbour-roof-envy). Seriously, go the colourbond!

I dont have any expereince with colourbond, but MIL has it and loves it.
    With a new house you may find that you'll get all sorts of noises for a little while anyway as the ground settles etc.

It can also depend on the style of the house and the building materials you are using. Is it period or contempory? Weatherboard, brick, render?

We have tiles, and they are concrete. If there is one thing I'd change it would be to get terracotta roof tiles, the colour seems to come up and lasts a lot better than it does with the concrete ones.

Where we swim in glitter and play on rainbows

I am also building (with our roof to go on today) and we have chosen CBond as in our last house we had tiles and were broken into. The mongrels lifted some tiles and got in through the man hole. Never ever would we go tiles again.
    Goodluck with the build as well

Our house has a colourbond roof and I love it!
    The rain isn't that loud and I don't hear any cracking noises whatsoever.
    Bee has a really good point about people being able to break in by lifting tiles off the roof, won't happen with a colourbond!!

We built our home in Perth about 4 years ago and chose a colourbond roof and we love it! Personally I like the look better and the range of colours were nicer too and we have had no trouble at all with noise. You can hear the rain a little but not bad at all and DD is a bad sleeper and it never bothered her. And I have never heard any creaks or anything coming from the roof. I say go with colourbond!

Thanks for all your help. Colorbond it is!