123 ...

thread: CostCo Australia - Docklands Melbourne

Administrator
    Add Rouge on Facebook

Jun 2003
    Ubiquity

Question CostCo Australia - Docklands Melbourne

Anyone else intrigued by this?

There is a CostCo opening in Docklands (in around september supposedly) and I'm still unsure what it is. I know its a big US chain. I know they sell everything in bulk for less. So its really going to be helpful during the food price explosion. BUT is it available for retail OR is it only available to Business? I am not from the US, have never been to a CostCo so I have no idea what to expect. I mean if I can save a heap I'll be sure to do a big shop with a few families and split it all, but if its just for business how is that going to help the retailers?

Administrator
    Add Rouge on Facebook

Jun 2003
    Ubiquity

Nevermind there is a membership for non business owners Its $60/year.

Still interesting though... And unlike Aldi its all sorts of different brands and not just a "homebrand" as such.

Jan 2008
    Euroa, Victoria

It is interesting.
    I guess it would be beneficial if you lived close to the city and had a group which you could all go in for. I think that sometimes the effort to go to a place like this outweighs the savings you can potentially make. For us we would have to take into account the travel time, fuel and parking costs compared to the savings. In many instances I have found that what boasts to be wholesale prices (I have been to Cambells Cash and Carry for items for our youth group) really isn't saving that much. The membership on top of it is another thing!
    I could be good tho

Jul 2008
    Melbourne

i've only ever used one for work things when i was in the uk & the prices were definitely good. not sure if i'd use it for us though - unless, same as cai, we shared a membership with my parents or something & then we could buy in bulk for a few of us?

Jan 2005
    Down by the ocean

I saw it on 60 minutes. I find it interesting!

BellyBelly Life Subscriber

Feb 2006
    South Eastern Suburbs, Vic

I suppose it could be good for co-op kind of things? Where can I read about it? I'm curious now!

Jul 2007
    melb

A friend signed up the other day for her membership while we were shopping at harbour town.

From what i understand they have anything and everything and there is no set quantities you must buy, they do sell things in big bulk serves eg laundrey detergent etc. They also have car, bath, food, clothes etc etc.

You must have a membership to shop there or be a guest of a member. (need to be with them as your membership card has a photo of you on it)
    Membership gives you 2 cards for HOUSEHOLD each with photo id on it

Feb 2009
    Moody Melbourne

I used to LIVE at Costco back home - no joke! I think for those who are able to access it by car (too hard to navigate public transport with 60 rolls of paper towel lol) and have the storage space at home for massive bulk buys this will be a life saver.

They have everything there - jewelery, clothes, food, automotive supplies, books, electronics, home goods, manchester, confectionary (buying 50 choccie bars in one go is a rush one needs to experience at least once in their life lol), etc... I'm trying to think of what I can compare it to here but I'm not that familiar with most of the discount stores here in Australia. They don't have a "CostCo" brand or at least didn't when I was still there so you're dealing with name brands on everything for ridiculously low prices.

IMO, it's definitely worth it to invest in a membership. $60 may seem like an unnecessary expense especially at times like these but I promise you, if you shop there more than once you'll definitely recoup the membership cost and then some.

I must admit though, I'm curious to see how the whole concept of paying for membership will fly here in Australia as I'm not familiar with other stores that do the same thing. Will people be put off by this initially? To be honest, a part of me hopes so - more room for me to shop! lol

Jan 2008

IS the best store ever! i love it.. brillant stuff. clothing food, manchester, electronics.. you name it.

BUT i hear from the COSTCO in Canada.. that its not going to be as good as over there or as cheap since import taxes here are so high...

So i am looking forward to seeing what its like here.. but i dont wnat to get all excited and then be all dissapointed..

Add Kazbah on Facebook Follow Kazbah On Twitter

Sep 2006
    Dandy Ranges ;)

I wonder if you can go in and browse without a membership? I have a friend who lives just near Southern Cross station, so we could go in it together ...

Jul 2007
    melb

They said when my friend signed up that you can go in with a member as a guest and still buy stuff but not without them or your own membrship.

Jun 2009

Costco!

I work at Costco in the US. They offer great prices, but everything is sold in bulk. Well, all the food, cleaning, and pharmacy type items. But everything is packaged "smart". So, you may be buying a huge bag of chicken breasts, but thy are all individually wrapped, so you can freeze them, and only take out a few that you will need. Also, everything at Costco is brand name, or Kirkland Signature (which is the store brand). The store brand is always of the same quality of brand name products, or better quality. There is a membership fee, but if you just buy your milk there, it will basically pay for itself. People looooooove Costco here! I mean, they are kinda obsessed with it! I do all my shopping there, because I know I am getting the best deal out there. I could probably find similar products at other places for cheaper, but they wouldn't be the same great quality I've come to love. Plus, as an employee I get a free executive membership, where I earn 2% back on all the purchases that I make. I get the 2% back in the form of a check at the end of my membership year. This year, I'm getting over $200 back!! Here in the US, the executive membership is only $100. SO, if I had to pay for the membership I would have a free membership and extra money to spend on whatever I want. So, if you plan to spend a lot of money at Costco, it is def. something to think about getting. Buy a big screen TV with an executive membership, and it has almost paid for itself right there. Well, have fun with Costco Australia, hopefully one day I will travel and see the store!!

Jun 2009

Preview Pass

Oh, and I forgot to tell you, that you can go in and look around without a membership, or a friend who has a membership. You just need to stop at the membership counter and get what we call a "preview pass". It will allow you to walk around and see if you want to become a member. If you do, just pay for the membership, and get your card instantly

Add Kazbah on Facebook Follow Kazbah On Twitter

Sep 2006
    Dandy Ranges ;)

Cool, thanks Nickii

Aug 2008
    Melbourne

Costco - Melbourne

Just curious - anyone join or visit? What was it like? What did they have? Was it bargains galore like they claim?

BellyBelly Life Subscriber

Feb 2006
    melbourne

i think it opens tomorrow morning!

Dec 2006
    In the Angelic Realm

what is costco and where is it?

Aug 2008
    Melbourne

You can read what it is - it's in Docklands. I know people in the States who go - but I never have and am very curious as to whether it is all some say it is.
    Last edited by Rouge; August 16th, 2009 at 10:25 PM. : Link Removed - See guidelines

123 ...